“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Cross Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madison
Southern Cross Ranch
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1670 Bethany Church Rd., Madison, GA 30650   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Madison B&B and Inns
Lillington, North Carolina
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My 11 year old daughter and I went to this ranch last year and had a great time. We decided to go again this year. Another father and his 11 year old daughter were coming with us this year and I wondered if the trip would be as nice. I was not dissappointed. The staff is friendly and wonderful. It is like a big family. I am a horse riding novice and was going on the trip just to spend time with my daughter, who loves horses. They do a great job of getting everyone saddled up and ready for the ride regardless of experience. The rooms are very large and the mattresses are fairly soft. Perhaps it is because I enjoy the traditional "meat and potatoes" type menu, but the food is amazing!!! I could not imagine better quality and service. They serve a buffet with plenty of variety, fresh vegetables, fruit and desserts. They are also thoughtful enough to always have something else for your typical young picky kids (corndogs, mac n cheese, grilled cheese etc.). They have some activities (pool table, fooseball table, dart board, pool, hot tub) but the experience is more of a laid back family style atmosphere where there is no pressure to do anything other than relax, eat great food and enjoy the rides. The rides are trail rides and although the trails are similar throughout, there are enough trails to explore for hours. The horses are very familiar with the trails, great guide horses and as gentle as they can be. There will always be little things to nit-pick about but nothing to make me do anything other than give the Southern Cross Ranch my highest rating. Perhaps my daughter summed it up best when at the end of the first trip, right before we left, she said, "I can't ever imagine being unhappy here". That says it all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We love staying at B & B's and that's why we chose Southern Cross ( found it on BandB.com ) for a visit with family in the area.First of all, the category 5 room was beautiful. King bed, fireplace,huge bathroom with jacuzzi for 2 and large shower as well as double sinks. But lousy water pressure in the shower ! Breakfast is certainly not what you usually find at a B and B. It's served buffet style ( think motel breakfast) We were not riding but we still had to be in the dining area before 8:45 to get breakfast and then the coffee ran out and the food that was being kept warm under lights wasn't warm anymore. We didn't eat any other meals but the breakfast was certainly not what we expected for the cost of the B and B plan.
We brought family to visit the ranch one afternoon and my 8 year old granddaughter had a wonderful riding experience. I was impressed that it was a lot more than just getting on a horse for a ride. It provided a memorable afternoon for her interacting with "her" horse Lucy .
I would not stay here again for $210.00 a night and a lousy breakfast but I would certainly bring my granddaughter back again to ride the next time we visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
scgranch, Manager at Southern Cross Ranch, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed both your accommodations and riding experience. However, we regret that we failed to meet your expectations for breakfast following your overnight stay with us. Our breakfast buffet is freshly prepared from scratch and cooked each morning (i.e. fresh bacon or sausage, home-made drop biscuits and gravy, French toast, etc). We feel it may be unjust to compare it to a “motel breakfast” that is simply reheated commercially pre-cooked products. We've also found that a nice, freshly cooked buffet is preferred by most over a relatively limited selection and portion size found at many B&Bs. It’s likely your experience may be reflective of coming very late to breakfast. We concede the 8am serving time could be inconvenient for some of our guests not on our horseback riding plan wishing to sleep in (some don’t even make it up for lunch). Most guests arrive around 8am or shortly thereafter as recommended for the best breakfast experience.

The $210 rate referenced is entirely reflective of the upgraded Category 5 (deluxe) room selected. Standard rooms were available for just $80 which featured the same complimentary home-cooked breakfast, unlimited soft drinks, snacks, fruit, and desserts – a value that’s hard to beat.

Again, we sincerely appreciate your comments as we continually strive to best meet the needs of our guests.
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My friends & I stayed here for a weekend recently & haven't stopped raving about the place. Well appointed rooms, professional staff who treat you as their personal guest, delicious meals, all nestled in this most scenic, serene atmosphere. Reminded me of my childhood vacations in the Adirondack mountains. Better than we anticipated, great value, and looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kennebunks, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I love this place!! I love horses and the southern charm of GA and thought this would be a great place to stay. My mom and I were have a week of vacationing together so this ended up being a place we stayed at along the way. It's such a relaxing place to stay, especially being able to watch the horses in the pasture (where a lot of people go out and walk around to visit them) and to see all the horses at the barn. This trip we chose not to ride but in years prior I did ride. If you are an experienced rider they do allow you to go out on your own to ride the property, something I loved! The food was incredible and I ate too much because it was sooo good. I would definitely visit again someday. I think anyone who loves horses and relaxation should visit here!

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are nice but the larger rooms you get a better location and view. Visit the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

the family atmosphere, the food, and the friendly service is wonderful. they really know their horses and do their best to match you with a horse that you will get along with. when you first ride they give you a saddle that is yours for the time you are there. the trails are beautiful, the food is great, and the accommodation are beautiful and very clean! great family vacation!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a nice place to stay. Ths staff are so nice and nothing is too much. The room I had was a 5cat ( they upgraded me at no extra charge due to a mix up in bookings ) so it had a huge bed, nice and comfy, a remote fireplace, a flat screen tv, and doors into the bathroom, with a whirlpool bath and large shower. There was always hot water at anytime of day for a shower or bath, plenty of towels. The food was great, always something for everyone, the list is too extensive, but everything from bad sugary nice things to fresh fruit and salad. There is a hot tub by the pool ready for a nice soak after riding. Most things you can read on their site about the facilities, but is is the atmosphere that they give to the place that is special, it is a family rn place with family values, have a good time but respect the other visitors....it is lights out at 10pm...you are in a guest house not detatched cabins.......... a few nights i did have rowdy people next door , so that was a shame. Th riding is in the woods, so dont expect great views, once you have been out on a ride a couple of times there will be nothing new to see, so go on the trip to the Hard Labor Creek , you have to pay extra, as the horses are trucked over, but is is nice to have a change of scenery if you are there for a week. The horses are lovely and well looked after, and so gentle. Downtown Madison is only 10mins away and if there is something on there it will be worth a visit...........it is a quiet break away from everything so if you are after too much, don't go there....leave those who enjoy a gentle quiet time to enjoy this place....THANK YOU SOUTHERN CROSS

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Youngstown, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I just want to thank everyone at Southern Cross for a great time! I had the opportunity, thanks to my good friend, to experience this wonderful ranch. I especially want to thank our guides "Big Dave" and Elizabeth for a wonderful riding experience. From start to finish (and one of those days being completely filled with riders and missing 5 helpers) things moved smoothly. It totally amazed me how well kept these horses were and how exceptionally friendly they were! The food was great and the room was perfect! Friendly staff, and from what I could see, all guests were having a great time. I loved the added home touch of wondering pets around the ranch. Very homey! Again, thanks to all for a great experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Southern Cross Ranch? Share your experiences!