“Great meals every time” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Chatham, Canada
“Great meals every time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We just happened to stop in Locust Grove in December on our way to Florida and the hotel clerk recommended Gabino's. What a fabulous choice! The margaritas were great, with a topping of extra tequila and the service was just right - friendly yet not intrusive. Food was excellent and well proportioned. Hubby had chicken fajitas and I had the beef burrito. The chips and salsa that arrive automatically are tasty. Everyone else's dish looked really good too! Two months later we headed to Knoxville and made sure to stop there again. Once more the food was delish and the service was just right. Next month we'll stop by once more on our way back north. The meals are a good size and the price is very reasonable. If you like Mex, this is the place - handy to I-75 and the local hotels as well.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Thomasville, Georgia
“Average food and average price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The food is typical of a local Mexican restaurant. I got the chicken burrito verde and found it to be enjoyable. I also ordered the grilled jalapenos which set me on fire. Average service, average food, average prices.

Visited January 2013
Locust Grove, Georgia
“Pretty good food but uneventful to us but the margarita was good!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We enjoyed it and our server was nice and attentive. This visit was better than the last. The food was good and I like the fact that they had a good health score. It could have a little more flavor, the beef was a little plain but good. We will go back!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dayton Ohio
“Good choice, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The reviews on TripAdvisor were mixed, but we were hungry and tired so we gave it a try. The beer was so inexpensive, draft Dos Equis just seemed like a good idea. Although this is at the outskirts of the Atlanta metro area, you could drink yourself unconscious for the cost of one cocktail in any large US city! Our food arrived quickly: burritos, rice, beans, pretty standard fare, plenty on the plate. The food was fresh (ripe juicy tomato in January), and the flavors were good, if a bit understated; if you want heat, you'll have to add sauce yourself. Our waiter was friendly and funny, the service was relaxed (if you have plenty of time for a leisurely meal); or slow (if you're in a hurry).

Little details can tell you a lot about how a restaurant values good food and its customers. Crispy chips and a pleasant mild salsa arrived at our table immediately when we were seated - routine for most Mexican places. But when the bowls started to run low, our waiter brought fresh refills - something many Mexican places neglect to do. Nice.

Bottom line: our expectations were not high and Gabino's definitely exceeded them. This is better than the average Mexican place, and coupled with very reasonable prices for food and drink, it's an outstanding value for a casual meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nashville, Indiana
“Disappointed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband, son and I were on our way back home from southern Florida and were starving. Found this restaurant on Urbanspoon and decided to stop. Everyone was very friendly and our server was quick. The food was nothing spectacular but was ok. However, my husband made an error on our receipt. Our bill was $56.15 and on the tip line it clearly stated a $12 tip (which is slightly more than the normal 20%) but on the total line he accidentally put $78.15 instead of $68.15. I have been a server for many years and this has happened to me MANY times. I always enter the tip amount so not to screw the person that just left you a decent tip. However, Hilda, our server did not do this. She gave herself a $22 tip on a $56 tab. I am sorry but honesty is a big issue for me and when someone can do something like this.....i won't spend my money with this establishment again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere