“Maintenance entered our room - Do not stay!” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Business Plan Package
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Lithonia
Lithonia, Georgia
“Maintenance entered our room - Do not stay!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Me and my wife were decide to spend our 5th wedding anniversary (Memorial Weekend) here. We thinking it was the best of the 3 hotels in the area. Within a few hours in our room we here someone wiggling and tinkering with our door. It turns out to be maintenance staff working on the locks. The started this without knocking to inform us of this. I called the front desk and they said they were unaware and would look into. 10 mins later they are still at it. Finally they leave only to return 30-45mins later. This time they actually open the door to our room. At this time my wife is just exiting the shower. I called the front desk, which again was no help. I called customer service and they said they cannot do anything until we have completed our stay. Later that night the security staff calls to apologize and offers a free breakfast meal for the inconvenience. I don't think breakfast is a proper apology for invasion of privacy.
I spoke the managment of the hotel after completing our stay and they admitted to knowing of the lock issues they were having. I asked why we were not moved to another room or our reservation was canceled and they stated that all the rooms were filled and they couldn't cancel our reservation because we reserved online. This has to be some of the worst explanation I have ever receive in my life. Finally the management was only willing to refund $39 for all the inconvenience, this even after admitting to knowing of current issues prior to us staying.

If every in the area, there are 2 other hotels next door to this one. Stay at one of those, it may be cheaper and you won't have to worry about people entering your room!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Alma, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and although it served its purpose, there wasn't anything that made me want to come back. The 2 double room with sleeper sofa was very roomy. It was a very comfortable room and I didn't have a problem with anything other than the AC was a little loud. As opposed to another reviewer, I liked having the vanity outside the bathroom. I can take care of business with the door shut without stopping my wife from fixing her hair and doing makeup. Also this room has plenty of mirrors!

I didn't have a problem with customer service. Check in and out was easy and the guys working the night shift were very helpful. On our second night I needed to print our tickets to the Aquarium the next day but the business center computers could not connect online. There was a bad storm the night before that caused some damage. After explaining what I needed they let me in the office to use that computer, but it was having problems also. I finally went back to my room (somehow wireless was working) and saved the file to a flash drive and they printed off the front desk computer. VERY frustrating late at night...but at least they were very helpful and friendly and that kept me from getting upset.

The breakfast was horrible for a South GA guy that likes REAL food! There was plenty of cereal, muffins, bagels, and fruit. Fine for my wife and kids, just left me wanting to stop somewhere for something else.

Overall the hotel was OK, but when I come back to this area I will stay somewhere else. Lithonia is a great place if you are looking for somewhere outside of the downtown area. Drive to all our locations were easy and not too far and the Stonecrest shopping has anything you will need.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Great hotel to start after long haul flight into Atlanta. Right beside Stonecrest mall. Would use again as a stop over

• Stayed July 2011
South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I can't believe the review before me. I read it and started to wonder if I stayed at the same property. Overall, the hotel and rooms were decent, but we had some concerns about cleanliness and were rather surprised by the customer service or lack thereof. In fact, I will not return to the property on the basis of their mediocre customer service. The front desk staff were unprofessional and unfriendly and slow. Each time we approached the front desk, we received more of a "What do you want?" type of reception (not that that is what was specifically said) rather than a hospitable "Hello, how may I help you?" When we checked in, neither front desk agent seemed to know completely what they were doing. In fact, we were asked when did we book our reservations because, as they explained/complained, they were sold out and reservations was still booking rooms when they shouldn't be. That is their problem, not ours and yet somehow someone walked in without a reservation and they gave them a room. ? They also did not explain the hotel amenities such as breakfast hours, location of elevators, etc. (May seem like a small thing, but little things matter where my money is involved.) When we checked out and reported that it appeared some of the linens may not have been changed as one guest had stained pillowcases, we received no apology but a "Well, you should have reported it" when in fact, that is what we were doing. We only stayed one night, got in very late, and at that point decided it wasn't worth the hassle and waking others up in order to have housekeeping come up. Another housekeeping issue, the carpet on our level was quite dirty with debris and looked like it had not been vacuumed that day.

Regarding the rooms, the decor was nice, but we did not like how loud our A/C unit was or that the sink was outside the bathroom. If someone needs to get up to use the restroom while others are sleeping, it's disruptive to have to use the sink in the open guest room where the only lighting option near the sink is a large fixture that illuminates the whole room. We were not provided enough wash cloths for the shower and the bathroom itself was very small. Note that the continental breakfast ended at 9:30 am not 10 am like most other hotels. There was no complimentary coffee or water service available in the lobby. The parking spaces at this property were just too tight making it impossible to park in some spaces and therefore making it difficult to find parking.

Overall, if you are in a tight bind and this is the only place left to stay and you can get a decent rate, the property and rooms are decent, just don't expect any southern hospitality. However, if a business doesn't care about its customers, in my opinion it doesn't deserve them, and I'll take my money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

First time staying at a Hyatt Place.

Upon entry the lobby and entry were nicely appointed. Staff was very pleasant and quickly checked me in. Room was very nicely decorated and well appointed. Very large room with modern decor. Bathroom was large and impressively well stocked with everything one would need. HVAC system was quiet, functional and easy to operate. My king bed was super comfy and the housekeeping staff did a great job. Paper delivered in the morning.

Small bar and breakfast area by lobby. Food was quite good. Bar is cozy, but plenty of seating area. Staff here very friendly as well. Breakfast had a nice variety of things to eat along with a made to order ($$) service.

Checkout was also very easy.

I have to say I was really surprised with my stay, and the value was excellent. Plenty of free parking and lots of local shopping and places to eat close by.

Would stay here again without question.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

This Hyatt Place is like no other Hyatt Place we've ever stayed at. My husband works for a Fortune 500 company that sends him all over the Southeast and I often come with him. Most Hyatt Places cater to businessmen, like my husband. They offer networking evenings where they provide appetizers and sodas for free every Thursday night and other things such as this.

We've stayed, unfortunately, at this location twice now. The first time for a weekend. The second visit for nearly a month. Each time I've had to make complaints about noise - AND I SLEEP WITH EAR PLUGS! Can you imagine? This hotel caters to partiers. I can't not stress enough how noisy it gets at this hotel every single night.

Secondly, customer service is virtually non-existent. Once when we had a party going on one one side of us and on the other a couple arguing down the walls, their front desk assistant said, "And?" to which I replied, "And... we're staying here as paying guests to sleep not to be in the middle of a Jerry Springer show." She said, "So, you want me to move you?" She acted as if I was inconveniencing her. I was dumbfounded. Finally when I called her on it THEN she said, "I'll see about it." Out of the five or six people we saw behind the counter only one young woman was helpful and pleasant.

Their maintenance is ridiculous. We've experienced a bathroom door that didn't lock, a bathroom vent that was so loud we didn't operate the light, a bathroom door that squeaked so loudly we actually oiled it, backed up toilets, a dead-screen on a television, broken elevators, and broken lights. The pool, though too cool to use, it's disgusting to even look at. It looks like a giant petri dish. Finally, I hope you're not looking for high speed internet because the only way you're getting it is by a miracle of God.

We had little choice of hotels because all of the other hotels were booked and we weren't going to stay a few days here and a few days there. We left quickly, though, and stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Conyers. That was a pleasant stay! It was only a little further east on 20, had a better breakfast, an indoor pool and jacuzzi, and was more affordable.

Room Tip: Away from 1st floor, elevators, and ice machines,
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
GMHP, Regional Director of Operations at Hyatt Place Atlanta-East/Lithonia, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to express my sincere apologies for the unpleasant and inconvenient experiences you encountered during your previous stays at our Hyatt Place hotel in Lithonia, Georgia.

Please know that I take all customer feedback very seriously, whether positive or negative, and I assure you that I will personally address the numerous issues you experienced during your stay. The situations you described are absolutely unacceptable and I take full responsibility for our poor customer service and maintenance issues. I can absolutely understand your frustration. I too would never consider staying at a hotel again after experiencing something so negative.

It is my promise to you that I will resolve our issues. Being a Hyatt branded hotel, we have a strong reputation to uphold. It is absolutely vital that we remember that everyday and I will make sure our staff does so going forward.

I am in the process of performing a full staff and product evaluation of this hotel and am personally overseeing the re-training and possible changing of the front office staff. Normally, I am based out of our company's corporate office. From now on, I will be working directly from this hotel until we have completed our promise to you and any other unsatisfied guests.

I greatly appreciate your comments. Without guest feedback, we cannot effectively target our weaknesses. It is my hope that you will please consider giving us another opportunity to show our improvement to you in the future. I'm confident you will not be dissapointed again. If you would like to further discuss this, please don't hesitate to contact me.

J. P. Singh
Regional Director of Operations
Hyatt Place Atlanta East-Stonecrest

Travelers are raving about these Lithonia hotels

Hinesville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

My wife, daughter, son-in-law, grand children, and myself stayed this particular hotel 11, 12, and 13 March 2011. My wife and I had an handicap king room which was roomy. Therefore, I do not know what a regular size king room look like. My duaghter and husband had a queen room. The pictures on the website of the hotel are accurate. The complimentary breakfast was not very satisfying in my opinion. There was no eggs or meats during our stay. There were two employees there Saturday morning handling the desk and keep the breakfast bar fully stocked. I watched the two employes for about an hour perform and accomplished multiple tasks with great attitudes. This gentleman and lady could be successful anywhere. I wonder how this hotel is staff if it were at full capacity. The lobby and brealfast area are too small for the number of rooms in the hotel. It can full quickly and easily. There are two benches in front of the hotel. Be prepare to walk over and around cigaret butts and cigaret smokers. I recommend removing the benches to another area. The trash can at the front door seem to always be overflowing. There are no microwaves in the rooms. The hotel is in a decent area. I felt safe in this area. The hotel is clean. One of the two elevators was inoperative while we were there (Sunday morning).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Place Atlanta-East/Lithonia? Share your experiences!