We, like most of the people staying at thonga were refugees from mozambique and without us the lodge would have been virtually emptly. Unfortunately despite the glossy images etc. this lodge does not match up. The sea is generally always quite rough and we were not able to swim the whole stay as the waves and undercurrents were so rough let alone snorkel which you can only do at low tide which was at 600 a.m to 7.30 a.m during our time there. You can't go sea fishing as its a heritage site and if you want to fish off the shore you have to get a license and your own gear as they don't supply any.The safari's were a joke and the birding was virtually non-existant. The rooms and lodge were ok but not luxurious and if you don't get a sea view room, your view is just scrub. They have a new chef, so the food was good and new managers, who were very nice but not exactly inspiring. The local people were very friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This intimate, luxury lodge is nestled on the pristine coast of Northern KwaZulu-Natal, within the Isimangaliso World Heritage Park. Its clear, warm waters offer superb snorkeling and unspoiled off-shore scuba diving, arguably the best in South Africa. Air conditioned suites, mouth-watering cuisine, romantic candlelight dinners on the beach and relaxing Sea Spa treatments. Guided forest walks, kayaking, sundowners and seasonal turtle tracking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Thonga Beach Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thonga Beach Hotel Mabibi
- Thonga Beach Lodge KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa