“Always like to go to Chonas” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #86 of 270 Restaurants in Lawrenceville
Cuisines: Mexican
Lawrenceville, Georgia
“Always like to go to Chonas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have eaten somewhat regularly (every couple months?) at Chonas for years. Its always good and I have never had any complaints. We go at lunch from work and try to go early because it is generally crowded. I appreciate the non-chain, family business atmosphere.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Buford, Georgia
“Worst Dining Experience EVER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I should have known when I entered and saw an empty restaurant what was ahead of me, but I was starved so ....

My friend & I Googled what Mexican restaurants were half way for both of us... We found Chonas Mexican Grill online and they had a free cheese dip coupon w/$20 purchase. Ordered my Margarita, told them about what I had seen on the net, I was asked to look it up on my phone?? Really? found it eventually. Registered w/future promotions via scanner... My friend arrived, ate our chips & salsa etc. asked 6 + times when we wanted to order...

Food arrived, mine was ok, starved so ate everything. My friends selection was unacceptable, worst enchiladas ever, (made with plain tomato sauce) chicken tacos were good. When he returned his half eaten plate, no inquiries were made as to substitution, he stated "worst enchiladas ever!" the servers explanation was, "it had to be the beer!" What does the beer have to do with the tasteless enchiladas?

I was served another Margarita, wrong kind, like it was my fault!

Table was never cleared for us after over an hour of finished dinner, why remove the plates now it's time to go... My friend put in promotional info in his phone and the server said no manager was there to ok discount. So why have promotional discounts on counter cards table side if you have no intention of honoring them? Another lame mktg. Ploy!

So be prepared to pay top dollar for sub-par tasteless foods, horrific service, and an overtly rude owner, who came rushing out to our cars to tell my friend not to return. (My friend is in the food business) so he knows what and how food retail goes! The owner identified himself, was upset with how he spoke to his staff (he stated the truth, never mean) what he disliked was b/c my friend wrote his review on his AE receipt, and AE cares about the dining experience you receive. So I guess the server lied about no mgr there to give a promo discount too?

Plus oh yeah this one is the best, he viewed a server fixing her hair in the back of the restaurant!

Good luck Georgians, I'd advise strongly passing on Chonas, it was a waste of $45 plus $$. The owner was belligerent with this customer, values nothing but the $$.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Love Chonas ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Our family loves it here. We love their wait staff and the owner. Best Mex in town of you ask me! Try their specials.

Suwanee, Georgia
“I suppose it's all a matter of taste!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Some of the reviews, WHEW!
Well for us this is our favorite! The food is always good. If you disagree it must be your taste buds out of adjustment.
Pleasant surrounds, quite enough to actually enjoy having a conversation with your dinner party instead of shouting at each other like some of those other restaurants out there on the frontier….
Don’t take my word for it (or the others for that matter) go and have some good Mexican food and come back and write that good review!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lawrenceville, Georgia
“Good service bad food..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

We were there a couple of weeks ago and the place was empty.. Lots of empty seats could've only meant bad restaurant. But we went ahead and sat down and gave it a shot hoping that it'll deliver. I ordered the carnita's and it was awful.. The pork was dry and had no flavor.. My wife ordered the steak burrito and it too was over cooked with and tasteless.. Will not be going back.

Visited December 2013