“Tavern food at it's tastiest!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
McCray's Tavern on the Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 296 Restaurants in Lawrenceville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Crogan Street
Jacksonville, Florida
“Tavern food at it's tastiest!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

My daughter lives and works in the Lawrenceville area and we eat at McCrays at least once every time we're in town. Here now for Christmas and New Years holidays and will make McCrays one of our first dinners out when all family members have arrived. Ask for Karen and your service will be superb and everything right on the mark. Honestly, never had a bad meal or server and eat there often. Tavern food folks and the best in L'ville. People who are so arrogant about where they eat and ctritique everything as if they're eating at some snobish five star or five diamond restaurant should take their fat walleted butts to downtown Atlanta where they'll get ohh'd and ahh'd over and served out the watusi like they're wanting and pay out the watusi as well. Leave us "locals" to enjoy the local food as we do anyway, you there or not, the ambiance we're looking for and are never disappointed with when we get it and pleased with the price as fair and the food as well above the chains. I'm betting if you sit on the roof of Bones the service will be slower than if you eat downstairs in the restaurant, in fact, last time I was there I didn't see anyone sitting on the roof there and don't remember that being an option. Bring me one of those big juicy McCray's burgers with cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayonaise with a side of those fabulous onion rings with ranch dressing and the biggest root beer you've got along with a piece of New York style cheese cake with strawberry sauce and the undertaker will have to break my jaw to get the smile off my face if I pass on while enjoying it! Rib eye steak and trimmings as good as any I've had over the years at Bones at half the price and when I order and Karen asks how I want my steack cooked I always tell her "medium" but however you bring it I'm gonna eat it!

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sandusky, Ohio
“Lunch was excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Mind you we came for lunch, so what this place is like during dinner is beyond me. If I had to guess, however, it probably isn't nearly as quiet. We were one of two customers, aside from the eight drinking at the bar at 3 on a Tuesday afternoon (week must have gotten off on the wrong foot!). Ordered the fish & chips and black & blue burger. Both were mouth watering. The fries are some of the best fries we've had. Crispy and full of substance. Also in a good location in downtown Lawrenceville. Looks like there is rooftop sitting as well. Overall a great lunch experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Ambiance Trumps Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

My brother and I were looking to enjoy a nice, casual dinner in downtown Lawrenceville. After changing our minds about a nearby seafood cafe, we decided to try McCray's.

Having never been there and knowing there was a roof top dining area, we asked to be seated on the roof outside. We waited a few minutes for a table to be cleared. We were told the direction to go and made our way up there (a server did not lead us).

Three young, college age kids were the servers. Waited a few minutes for us to be acknowledged by Tyler (this was ok). We had to ask for silverware. We ordered an appetizer: Battered Fried Jumbo Onion Rings. They were homemade and served with a good dressing for dipping. The taste was very good. As for entrees, I ordered the McCray's "Hunter Chicken" as I was in the mood for something other than a salad, burger or sandwich which seemed to dominate the menu. Big mistake. The entre came with mashed red skin potatoes which were presented as a small, thick glob. The chef's vegetable was corn on the cob. It was 1/2 the size of a normal ear and looked exactly like what would be served at a fast food chain such as Captain D's. It was mushy which meant it was more than likely frozen and then cooked. Had to ask our server for salt and pepper as it was not already on the table. It was barely etible. Chicken came as grilled but the worse part was the "burgundy brown gravy." It was only enough to cover the circumference of chicken breast and came as a gravy "skin." It was disgusting as I was eating globs of thick gravy with the chicken. The entree lacked seasonings and flavor.

Tyler was in charge of other tables too. I didn't want to exchange my plate and have a similar, mediocre meal come out. My brother liked his burger but had to request mayo, mustard, ketchup as it was served without.

Even though the service was alright, It is time to move on and try other restaurants in the area. The only thing that made it enjoyable was the scenery outside overlooking the downtown square.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
atlanta
“It's a tavern”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I have been going to McCray's since it opened and would say it isn't as good as it once was but it still is a great place to go if you find yourself on the square in Lawrenceville. Great selection of beers, service is either great or lousy depending on who your server is, the building and atmosphere are great, the food is average. I would much rather eat here than an Applebee's or similar place.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Buford, Georgia
“Too ridiculous to be true”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I took my daughter here last night for her birthday. Her choice, not mine. She thought it would be fun to eat on the roof top. Her husband and son came along with a few friends. It was 20 minutes before a waitress came to our table to take the drink order. Another 20 minutes before we were asked for our food order. The first person to receive their meal was my son-in-law. It was another 20 minutes before the rest of our party received their food. Once the food was delivered we asked for condiments as well as steak sauce. The waitress brought 2 empty bottles of A-1 and left. It was another 20 minutes before she came back to the table to ask if we needed anything else. Some asked for additional items and I asked for a glass of tea. Never received any of it. One member of our party ordered a chicken tender dinner and all that was delivered was his chicken, no side items. My own order was wrong and I told the waitress this and she offered to have the cook rush another meal. At this point I was pretty over the whole situation and informed the waitress that I would not be paying for my meal. The manager then came to our table to apologize and asked what she could do to make it right. I said short of comping the whole meal that there was not much to change my opinion of the experience and that I would just take the check. She left only to come back with a $20 gift card and all of the checks. She handed me all of the checks to hand out on my own which I thought was pretty brazen. Then to top it all off, they had added a 18% gratuity to everyone's bill. I told the waitress that I would not pay this and she left us waiting another 15 minutes. At this point it was pretty late and getting cold on the roof top so we left to go downstairs were I was met by the waitress with the bill which she said had the gratuity removed. I looked at the bill and it was $2 less than the original. On a $70 check the gratuity would have been much more than $2 so I can't imagine that they had removed the full gratuity. I just laughed and told her that I would not be paying any of the check. As I was walking out of the restaurant someone from behind the bar yelled THANK YOU!!! Another slap in the face. I will never even consider going back to this nightmare someone has called a restaurant.

• Visited April 2011