“Lovely Little Island” 5 of 5 stars

Jekyll Island, GA
Atlanta, Georgia
“Lovely Little Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

I simply adore Jekyll Island!

It's my spring break getaway from the rigors of life. I prefer the emerald coast for actual beach/ocean activities--but the beach on Jekyll is good for strolling.

Since it is a simple island, I usually only stay three nights. Enough time to do the historic district, rent bikes, play putt-putt, and roam around the island as if it's my own. One day, I'd like to do the dolphin tour or go horseback riding.

There aren't that many restaurants on the island, but I've grown attached to eating at Blackbeard's for dinner.

One point to know: BRING AVON'S SKIN SO SOFT!! it's the only thing that will keep the "no-see-ums" at bay.

Overall, fabulous getaway island that makes you feel like the millionaires that once played there.

North Carolina
“Four days on Jekyll Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

A beautiful place with loads of interesting history. Be sure and rent one of the little electric cars. A great way to see the island on your own time....

Susanville, California
“Great vacation spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2007

Great vacation spot. We've been twice. Once on a stop thru road trip. Decided to stay two days. Second time on our honeymoon. Took the dog the first time. Pet friendly, great food, fabulous beach - tons of sea shells. Both times in November.

Juneau, Alaska
“A step back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2007

If you want to step back a century in time, visit the historic district of Jekyll Island. We had lunch at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel which was originally a hunting lodge for the robber barons of the late 19th century. The grounds are magnificent and well-manicured--there is even a croquet lawn complete with wickets--and the dining room is very elegant. After lunch, we visited the museum, which is small but extremely well done. We found it fascinating. The nominal entry permit fee of $3 was well worth it!

Derry
“Too quiet. Few restaurants. Homes built in the 60's....ugly......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

This is what I wish I had read before going to Jekyll Island on 10-17-07. We arrived at our hotel and the first thing they said upon check-in was there is a fee for checking out early. Should have been a clue that people probably find there isn't enough to do and want to leave, but we were there for 5 nights. Unless you are staying at the Jekyll Island Club (which is A++++++) you may not enjoy yourself. I saw the maps and thought the buildings on it were the highlights. Turns out they were the ONLY buildings. Nothing has been refurbished since original 60's construction. Most hotels are slated to be torn down, including the restaurants inside them. The beaches are pristine and empty. If you want to sit alone on the beach and veg out, this is your place. If you like architecture, and old towns to walk thru, there is nothing to see here. The area around the Jekyll Island Club Hotel is beautiful and the restaurants around it are wonderful. There is just NOTHING else going on. We drove to St. Simon every day just to walk around. THERE ARE NO SHOPPING AREAS. An ancient grocery store, and a hardware store. Not my cup of tea. We love Sanibel Island and this is NOT anything like it.

Been to Jekyll Island? Share your experiences!