“Another Jekyll Island Rip Off...Beware!” 1 of 5 stars

Jekyll Island, GA
Improve this listing
Brunswick, Georgia
5 attraction reviews
“Another Jekyll Island Rip Off...Beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I just passed through the new Jekyll Island Pay Station and bought the $45 annual pass at the self service station. We buy one every year or so. I was instructed to go into the visitor's center get my sticker to automatically open the gate as I passed. Inside I was told by two different employees, one man and one woman, I'd also have to buy an additional sticker to upgrade their new scanner system for 8 additional dollars. I asked why I needed two scanning devices and why it wasn't included in the $45 dollars in the self service machine? The man told me I'd have to eventually buy it by January or the current scanner on my car would not work, so I told him just to give me a refund and forget it. Then he changed his story and said "Well it will work until your current sticker runs out next December and admitted that there was a discussion going on about the additional scanner that cost 8 additional dollars. So I guess in fact, both employees had just down right lied to me when they said my old scanner, which I just purchased 5 minutes ago, wasn't going to work after January. Either that or they are lying about the old sticker working after January so they didn't have to refund my money today. So what I guess is these two employees don't know when they are telling customers a lie or they have been told to tell a lie or series of lies to scam visitors out of an additional $8 to enter Jekyll Island State Park. This park definitely needs to go back under State of Georgia supervision and be taken away for the Island Authority in my opinion. Just about everything has gone downhill at the park in the last few years including the golf courses and the food services. The citizens of Georgia who pay taxes and fees to use the rest of the State Park System of Georgia desire better. Please write you elected representative and ask them to return Jekyll Island to a regular State Park where Georgia's citizens are not subjected to these type of scams and employees are subject dismmissal for blatently lying to customers.

Visited December 2012

florida
20 attraction reviews
“A delightful day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

So interesting. Amazing the history that happened here. The little shops are great. The homes beautiful and the guides informative

Visited November 2012
Plant City, Florida
9 attraction reviews
“Nice to tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

There isn't much to do on Jekyll Island except relax. But we toured the historic district by horse-drawn carriage. It was very interesting to hear the stories of the old buildings and the elegant country club. The houses are grand! Several charming shops are along the way and offer a nice array of gifts. Famous names have a history here and it's a nice, relaxing tour to take while visiting the island.

Visited September 2012
Nahunta, Georgia
18 attraction reviews
“Driftwood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Driftwood Beach used to be one of my favorite hangouts ..Petrified wood trees lies up and down this beach.Its good for have pictures done,seining for shrimp and fishing off the pier for shark..

Visited November 2012
Marietta, GA
21 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The jekyll Island Historic District is a collection of former 'cottages' of the great industrialists of th late 19th century. They would come to jekyll to spend the winter with their families and staff. So they built a large village to handle all this. The village consists of a mixture of renovated and unrenovated 'cottages' as well as the original club building (now a hotel) and many of the support buildings. There are many information signs to help you understand the what, why and who. if you want to go inside some of the renovated buildings you need to take a tour, though walking around outside it free and you can get into the hotel and the Faith Chapel with its original Tiffany stain glass window for free. Well woth an hour to visit and walk around.

Visited October 2012