“Large rooms” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Antonio, Texas
“Large rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I don't mind outdated when you get an ocean view ...... But it should have been explained that there is no ocean view due to the heavy new hotel construction right smack in front of this hotel. Not only that.....the building starts very early about 6:30 to be exact so if you want to sleep in because you might be on your "once a year vacation" ....well think again....... The first night we stayed we were sitting out by the pool and was told we had to leave cause it was time to close pool area. We were not in bathing suits just sitting there talking. It was 8:30. Keep in mind there were no kids staying here....only adults over 58. I am pretty sure that we don't need strict babysitting. The beach was mediocre at best with hard sand and dirty water, may as we'll have been in Galveston. Yes did find some bugs, dead and alive but no biggie as we live in Texas and are used to them drifting in. They DO need to move the beds and night stand once a month a do a thorough cleaning and maybe the whole room. Beds are not comfy so guess it really doesn't matter that the construction is starting early cause your back is killing you by then. Pillows are horrendous so go to walmart and spend 5 bux and buy yourself some sleep. Breakfast ....not bad. But the lady that's doing the cooking needs to really keep up on the coffee. It was usually out. This is not a bad place to stay for the money as long as you didn't pay over 70bux. I wouldn't stay here again but there are two other hotels down the street that are literally on the beach but did not come up on my hotels.com. One of them was Days Inn. I checked prices and they are similar to this hotel so I would give them a shot. Also yesterday we went back to the pool to relax and they were pressure washing all of the hotel brick walks at dinner hour. So we had to leave so we could hear ourselves talk.

Room Tip: It's hard to say since most hotels don't let you go in and inspect before you rent!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
qualityjekyll, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We aim to provide clean and comfortable accommodations and I will address the issues you listed with our Housekeeping Department to get those items corrected immediately. Work on the project across the street is unfortunately out of our control and I do apologize that put a dampener on your experience. Our pool hours are posted and are from 9:00AM EST to Dusk and at that time the whole pool area is closed and locked for liability purposes. Hotels.com lists us as being "situated near the beach" and I have also double checked how our hotel is represented on other third-party sites to make sure it is clear that we are not oceanfront. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our
guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Please accept my most sincere apology and we look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely, Claire Moody, Director of Sales and Marketing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

My fiancé came for a wedding at stayed at Quality Inn. Entering our room, the smell of bleach was overwhelming. The decor was outdated, but that did not bother me. However, the room was too warm. I tried to turn on the dehumidifier, but it would not come on. After some investigation, the water bucket had not been emptied nor recently cleaned. In the bathroom, my fiancé found bugs. One of our (clean) towels had a hair on it. I also found trash under our bed. I will say the continental breakfast was better than expected--- eggs, sausage, pasteries, bagels, and make your own waffles. Also, when we checked in, the attendant was friendly and helpful. If returning to Jekyll Island, we would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
qualityjekyll, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide clean and comfortable rooms and I apologize that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. The information you provided will be addressed with our staff to get those matters corrected immediately. We hope that you will visit us again so we may demonstrate our commitment to our guests. Sincerely, Claire Moody, Director of Sales and Marketing.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I booked the Room knowing it was outdated. I didn't have a huge issue with it, but I do have an issue with it being dirty, and in dire need of repairs and normal upkeep.

ISSUES:Bugs all over in bathtub and kitchen, coming in from gaps/holes from missing screws in windows. Window sills covered in dead bugs (bedrooms,kitchen, bathroom). Grime all over the paint and around door handles and light switches. No air flow in 2nd bdrm, hot. Smashed fly on bdrm window when we walked in, still there.

The housekeeping staff, that we had, spoke limited English. An issue when I'm trying to get towels, toilet paper, trash bags, etc. She didn't offer to clean the room. Just stood there, so I requested needed items. 2nd day I did ask her to vaccuum the floors, as there was sand from our beach outings. Otherwise, I opened the door and she only had towels in a stack ready for me. Several dishes dirty in cupboards. Pool was in dire need of cleaning & paint, grime, dirty, bugs. Lots of ants on sidewalks and in pool area. Several cabinets didn't shut, gaps on both sides of kitchen window, no screens, lots of bugs inside. Killed 4 spiders on the window sill, rusty/Dirty vents. Cob webs in window corners.
SUGGESTIONS: Train your staff how to clean properly! Hire additional housekeeping staff. Fix minor issues like the cabinets, holes, bug issues. A fresh coat of pain would help immensely. Regular insect/ant spray treatments, that's an easy fix. Eventually baths and kitchenettes need updating These aren't suites, they are large, multi-room, motel class rooms.
TO THE STAFF: I was reading these reviews, there are way more negative reviews than positive. So actually start correcting the issues! You are giving Choice Hotels a terrible name. And maybe do random inspections on so-called "cleaned", empty rooms everyday. Then correct the mistakes made.
I could have chosen another hotel, but I am a BlueGreen Vacation Club member and since Choice Hotels partners with you, I wasnt concerned. I was wrong, I guess I just had higher expectations. I will also be contacting BlueGreen regarding the issues in this hotel.
If you want to hang up TripAdvisor signs, asking to boost your ratings, then correct issues and live up to the "Quality" in your name.
Rm 210 (2 bdrm suite), 4 nights, 7hr drive.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the issues encountered during your stay and that your experience did not meet your expectations and please know that your issues are taken very seriously. The information you provided will be shared with our staff and corrected promptly. Being located in South Georgia and pests being an issue we maintain a strict and pest control regiment through a third party to head off issues such as these. We do hope you will visit us again as we strive towards kitchen and bath renovations in the upcoming year. Sincerely, Claire Moody, Director of Sales and Marketing.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Room was spacious but the kitchen was dirty and the carpet was black from filth. I stayed 4 days and never heard or saw the cleaning staff with a vacuum. The breakfast was typical hotel freebee. Check-In staff were nice and check-out a breeze.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with your stay and have addressed your issue with our Housekeeping Department. We strive to provide clean and comfortable accommodations and will correct this issue immediately. I do hope you will visit us again so we may prove our commitment to guest satisfaction. Sincerely, Claire Moody, Director of Sales and Marketing.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Smelled like an ashtray, hallway filthy, blood on comforter, coffee maker no working, empty bourbon bottle in bedroom, TV not working in bedroom, room half made up and promises to correct were not kept. I will never stay in a choice hotel again

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves for providing clean and comfortable accommodations and are disappointed to hear that your experience was not satisfactory. I will be addressing the issues you encountered with the appropriate staff to ensure that these items are corrected immediately and we are on point for future visits. Thank you again for the feedback as it only helps us improve. Sincerely, Claire Moody, Director of Sales and Marketing.
Greenville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Room was nasty full of bugs, stains on the sheets, rust in the tub. The pictures online showed a different room than what we were in. If I didn't drive 5.5hrs I would've not stayed there at all. Checked out the next day and stayed down the street.

• Stayed August 2014
qualityjekyll, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are located in South Georgia in the heart of Summer so bugs come with the territory. Palmetto bugs while in the pest family as roaches are not the common roach pest. They are indigenous to the area of Palmetto trees and bushes which thrive on our island. We maintain a stringent pest control regiment with a 3rd party vendor to ensure we are pest free. We do hope that you will revisit us again, as we strive towards our kitchen and bath renovations in the upcoming year. Deborah Exum, GM
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The hotel was ok, but the housekeeping staff were not on point. We checked in on a Friday afternoon and did not have our suite cleaned the entire time we were there. We checked out on the following Tuesday. The breakfast was satisfactory. Parking was great and swimming pool was nice.

Room Tip: Rooms over the pool may be noisy/
Green Features: I guess they do what they can. We didn't see it because our room was not cleaned.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing. I will share your feedback with our Housekeeping Staff to ensure we are better on point for your next visit. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. It only makes us better. Sincerely, Deborah Exum, GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jekyll Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#4 of 9 in Saint Simons Island
4.0 of 5 stars 311 reviews

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!