“Would stay again!!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Would stay again!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I describe this hotel as "older but not trying to hide it." I think that sometimes reviewers have unrealistic expectations on what they get for what they pay. We had a very nice stay here. I think for under $100 on Jekyll Island getting a clean, one bedroom apartment was a darn good deal. Yes, the hotel is older and the furnishings are older but were in fine condition. I thought the breakfast was very nice with many options. The staff was all very pleasant and helpful. If I return to Jekyll I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a one bed room apartment. I couldnt believe how big and nice it was. We really liked it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

It was absolutely GREAT! They meet my requirements with no hassle from staff. We'd asked for two rooms next to one another and for them to be on the first floor...they made it work.There was a mix up with my card for double payment but it was fixed within 24 hours. I would say this..they really need to upgrade a few things. Jekyll is considered a resort island so this hotel need to upgrade a few things. The tubs are not something I would call in good shape. I stayed at some Quality Inn hotels that were twice as nice. Also, there should be a tv in every room in the two bedroom suite. These are just my opinion. There a few other negative things but I will past on describing. Overall it is an average hotel but should be more up to date for Jekyll. The staff was GREAT!

Room Tip: Be sure to see if there is a more updated suite if you book.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
qualityjekyll, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your response about a recent stay with us. Updates and Upgrades are coming- keep an eye on us as we grow. We truly appreciate you sharing your experiences and hope to see you on your return trip.

"Proving Southern Hospitality Still Exists"

Deborah Exum
Alpharetta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Two large bedrooms and a pull out couch in the sitting area; small kitchen, but adequate. TV. On ground floor. Free breakfast which is average for all motels these days. I would stay here again. The price was definitely right for all of us in the party. We were four senior citizens celebrating our friendship over the past 40 years. Were previous college roommates.

Room Tip: Nothing unique about this place. Like all the rest of motels, but was clean and a good location on...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cumming, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

After a wandering trip thru Florida, we decided to visit Jekyll Island. We looked on TripAdvisor and saw the reviews.. All of the hotels have good and bad ones.. But for the price paid and the size of the room.. (we looked before we paid for the room) We chose to stay at the Quality Inn & Suites. We had a large one bedroom suite with a full size kitchen. Our room was very clean and smelled fine. We chose to leave our door propped open for a few hours and of course it began to smell a little humid. But I understand I am in South Georgia in a hotel made of blocks that is about 50 plus years old. As long as the room is closed and air is running the room smelled fine. Across the street from the beach, free hot breakfast, (loved the blueberry waffles), and we saved $30 cheaper than any of the other hotels on the island. I think we made the right choice. It is definately not the Ritz but who can afford to stay there for 4 days. Not my family.
The staff at this hotel made me feel like I was visiting friends. I have never felt such an inviting and welcoming atmosphere. Yes, the hotel is older. Yes, it is clean. Yes, it is across the street from the beach. So if you need an affordable place to sleep and want to be on an island with good people.. visit Jekyll Island and choose to stay at the Quality Inn & Suites.

Room Tip: One Bedroom suites are worth the upgrade they are huge rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
qualityjekyll, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.- Deborah Exum, GM
Dauphin, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed in a two-bedroom suite on our way home from Disney. (one-night) The room was spacious but very old and out dated. (It also had a moldy smell) The only good thing was the close proximity to the beach (across the street) The kids would'nt eat because they said the rooom was too dirty..The breakfast was average for a buffet. We loved Jekyll Island and will be back ~ but won't stay here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I am so sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. It appears that we definitely failed when it comes to housekeeping. My staff and I reviewed each of your comments and have taken appropriate action to resolve each issue in the room you occuppied. In addition, we are re-evaluating our inspection processes to ensure these type of issues do not occur in the future. Again, we are terribly sorry that your experience with our hotel was not a good one, but invite you to give us another try. We greatly appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience.
- Deborah Exum, GM
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

LOVED the 2 BR suite! First time staying in that unit and it won't be our last! We first visited Jekyll Island on our honeymoon 35 years ago and have returned several times to "our island". This Quality Inn and Suites is a perfect fit for us. They made us feel very welcome, pets and all. The location of this hotel is great; close to the beach and good restaurants and bars nearby. We are hoping to spend a week here next year!

Room Tip: September and October are the perfect months to be on Jekyll Island.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback! It is wonderful to hear from our valued repeat customers and appreciate your continued patronage. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
- Deborah Exum, GM
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was really surprised at how much I liked staying at this hotel, especially after reading some negative reviews.

We walked out of another hotel in Brunswick, Georgia because it was downright filthy. It was advertised on Hotwire as a three-star property and the Quality Inn was allegedly a two-star property. There's no way that I would rank the first hotel higher than the Quality Inn.

We called Quality Inn in a panic from Brunswick because we needed another hotel room that would accommodate our dog for the weekend. They were extremely hospitable and offered us a "queen suite" for a price lower than what we saw on Priceline. The suite was also available only by calling the hotel and not through the Priceline website, which only advertised two double-bed rooms.

We got there and the staff was extremely friendly. They gave our dog a welcome bag that included pick-up bags and treats, as well as a note about pet-friendly areas around the island.

The room we had was massive. Almost unnecessarily so. We had a main living room with a full, fold-out couch and a nice sized HD flat-screen tv. There was a desk, an armchair, a coffee table, two end tables, and several lamps. Off the living room was a full kitchen that was immaculately clean--stove, oven, microwave, table and four chairs, full fridge with a freezer. There were paper towels and Dawn dish soap, along with all utensils and anything we might have wanted to cook with, including a can opener, corkscrew, pots, pans, and a cookie sheet. Everything felt very clean and smelled nice.

The bedroom was the size of our master at home, and included another TV, a full closet, a dresser, a full-length mirror, and two nightstands. The mattress was comfortable and the bedding was not starchy or scratchy. The walls were a nice yellow color and very beachy.

Several places for improvement:
The bathroom was not new or updated, but it was a good size and clean. No stray hairs, stains on the towels, dust, etc. However, the fixtures in the tub had definitely rusted away a bit and could stand to be replaced. The shower head was nothing impressive and I had a lengthy period of no hot water and low pressure when housekeeping turned the washing machines on down the hall. That was my fault for showering at 1:00 in the afternoon!

The central air wasn't really central--there was one big vent in the living room and one in the bathroom. The one in the bathroom put out no air. The one in the living room put out a lot of air, but all up at ceiling height, so it took a very long time to cool down after we opened the front door. The bedroom was always a little too warm with no vent. The vents were extremely dirty and needed to be cleaned, but a lot of the appearance was just from needing a new paint job.

The walk to the beach was two minutes--literally just across the road--and the hotel rents bicycles if you'd prefer to cruise around. There was no pool, but there is also nothing stopping you from walking into the pool areas of the two hotels on the opposite side of the beach if you insist on swimming somewhere other than the ocean. The breakfast was deluxe with all sorts of hot items and was really a pleasant surprise for the price that we paid.

I have stayed in a lot of really nice hotels, all over the world, but we ended up here in a panic when our original hotel was simply unacceptable. For being laid-back beach friendly, this one really took the cake. Was it a four-star hotel? No, absolutely not, it is definitely an unassuming two-star hotel with a lot of little quirks. However, I would definitely come back to this place as somewhere safe, clean, comfortable, and accommodating, especially for a longer stay or staying with others. This is exactly the kind of unpretentious place my parents would have wanted our large family to stay when at the beach. I think it's a phenomenal value for what you pay vs. what you get.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!