“Wont stay again” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dauphin, Pennsylvania
“Wont stay again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed in a two-bedroom suite on our way home from Disney. (one-night) The room was spacious but very old and out dated. (It also had a moldy smell) The only good thing was the close proximity to the beach (across the street) The kids would'nt eat because they said the rooom was too dirty..The breakfast was average for a buffet. We loved Jekyll Island and will be back ~ but won't stay here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
qualityjekyll, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I am so sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. It appears that we definitely failed when it comes to housekeeping. My staff and I reviewed each of your comments and have taken appropriate action to resolve each issue in the room you occuppied. In addition, we are re-evaluating our inspection processes to ensure these type of issues do not occur in the future. Again, we are terribly sorry that your experience with our hotel was not a good one, but invite you to give us another try. We greatly appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience.
- Deborah Exum, GM

204 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

LOVED the 2 BR suite! First time staying in that unit and it won't be our last! We first visited Jekyll Island on our honeymoon 35 years ago and have returned several times to "our island". This Quality Inn and Suites is a perfect fit for us. They made us feel very welcome, pets and all. The location of this hotel is great; close to the beach and good restaurants and bars nearby. We are hoping to spend a week here next year!

Room Tip: September and October are the perfect months to be on Jekyll Island.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback! It is wonderful to hear from our valued repeat customers and appreciate your continued patronage. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
- Deborah Exum, GM
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was really surprised at how much I liked staying at this hotel, especially after reading some negative reviews.

We walked out of another hotel in Brunswick, Georgia because it was downright filthy. It was advertised on Hotwire as a three-star property and the Quality Inn was allegedly a two-star property. There's no way that I would rank the first hotel higher than the Quality Inn.

We called Quality Inn in a panic from Brunswick because we needed another hotel room that would accommodate our dog for the weekend. They were extremely hospitable and offered us a "queen suite" for a price lower than what we saw on Priceline. The suite was also available only by calling the hotel and not through the Priceline website, which only advertised two double-bed rooms.

We got there and the staff was extremely friendly. They gave our dog a welcome bag that included pick-up bags and treats, as well as a note about pet-friendly areas around the island.

The room we had was massive. Almost unnecessarily so. We had a main living room with a full, fold-out couch and a nice sized HD flat-screen tv. There was a desk, an armchair, a coffee table, two end tables, and several lamps. Off the living room was a full kitchen that was immaculately clean--stove, oven, microwave, table and four chairs, full fridge with a freezer. There were paper towels and Dawn dish soap, along with all utensils and anything we might have wanted to cook with, including a can opener, corkscrew, pots, pans, and a cookie sheet. Everything felt very clean and smelled nice.

The bedroom was the size of our master at home, and included another TV, a full closet, a dresser, a full-length mirror, and two nightstands. The mattress was comfortable and the bedding was not starchy or scratchy. The walls were a nice yellow color and very beachy.

Several places for improvement:
The bathroom was not new or updated, but it was a good size and clean. No stray hairs, stains on the towels, dust, etc. However, the fixtures in the tub had definitely rusted away a bit and could stand to be replaced. The shower head was nothing impressive and I had a lengthy period of no hot water and low pressure when housekeeping turned the washing machines on down the hall. That was my fault for showering at 1:00 in the afternoon!

The central air wasn't really central--there was one big vent in the living room and one in the bathroom. The one in the bathroom put out no air. The one in the living room put out a lot of air, but all up at ceiling height, so it took a very long time to cool down after we opened the front door. The bedroom was always a little too warm with no vent. The vents were extremely dirty and needed to be cleaned, but a lot of the appearance was just from needing a new paint job.

The walk to the beach was two minutes--literally just across the road--and the hotel rents bicycles if you'd prefer to cruise around. There was no pool, but there is also nothing stopping you from walking into the pool areas of the two hotels on the opposite side of the beach if you insist on swimming somewhere other than the ocean. The breakfast was deluxe with all sorts of hot items and was really a pleasant surprise for the price that we paid.

I have stayed in a lot of really nice hotels, all over the world, but we ended up here in a panic when our original hotel was simply unacceptable. For being laid-back beach friendly, this one really took the cake. Was it a four-star hotel? No, absolutely not, it is definitely an unassuming two-star hotel with a lot of little quirks. However, I would definitely come back to this place as somewhere safe, clean, comfortable, and accommodating, especially for a longer stay or staying with others. This is exactly the kind of unpretentious place my parents would have wanted our large family to stay when at the beach. I think it's a phenomenal value for what you pay vs. what you get.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Winter Park, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I have worked in the hotel industry for over 20 years, so I thought we would never be surprised. We were wrong! We decided to stay at this hotel DESPITE the bad reviews, as there was not availability in any other property in the island. We stayed in a two bedroom suite.... oh my!!!! Even our kids, 7, 9, and 11 told us that that was far from being a suite, and they were right!

This hotel is TERRIBLE! The smell of old, must and mould was OVERPOWERING to say the least. The carpet and walls where filthy, the kitchen was greasy, the drawers were falling out and full of "wild-life", the bathroom was disgusting, the tub stained and the door got stuck every single time. The sheets were dirty and the covers had chewing gum stuck on them. The towels were old and with holes. We killed several bugs, coackroaches, spiders etc during our 2 night stay. The pull up couch could break your back. The ceiling and walls had plenty signs of humidity and we found torn pieces almost in every room. The facilities/yard was unkept and we didn't dare to approach the pool, as we were warned by other guests of the poor conditions. All of us left with worrying coughs, breathing and lung issues. Be aware!!!!

The complimentary beakfast was simple, as we would have expected, but none of us dared to dig into anything as it was so disgustingly dirty!

The staff was most helpful and cheerful. They deserve to work under better conditions or simply in another hotel. That is what we plan to do next time we go to Jekyll Island.

Quality Inn should be ashamed to have its name above the roof of this property. The Health Department should simply close it down until they meet minimum requirements. This property is a health hazard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE STAY AWAY!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
qualityjekyll, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I am very concerned about the issues that you raised about our hotel. We accomodate may guests each evening and the principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service and a quality product. Cosequently, it's disappointing to learn that you are unhappy with your stay. In order for me to further address your issues, I need additional information. While our property is an older hotel, we strive to maintain a clean and crisp product for our customers. All of our customers attest that when an issue arrises, it is promptly corrected as to ensure all of our guests have the best experience. I sincerely apologize that you and your family did not enjoy their stay with us. My staff and I would much like to have you and your family return to stay with us that we may demonstrate to you our quality of service! Sincerely, Deborah Exum
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

for the past 30 years my group has been staying at this hotel on our annual golf trip. yes its true this hotel is old and my need some work done to it. But having seen the changes over the years management is trying to update it. The new pool is great, looks way different without a car in it (inside joke). My group has always stayed in the outrigger section at the rear of the otel. We always book the 2 bedroom effiency suites and we are always content. Keep in mind we are there to golf and drink where we put our heads is not our biggest concern. the price is always right at this hotel. plus its the closest hotel to the golf club maybe 60 second drive. The hotel room bathrooms have always been a concern and need work but everything works just needs to be updated. Also the T.v's could be revamped aswall. I know last year they were telling us they were switching to digital and Tv's were goona be updated. I am going down in 6 weeks to see this beautiful island and this nice hotel. looking forward to it as always.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

WELL, until September 30th they have a special going on that you pay for your room by the last two digits of your birth year....so we only had to pay $43 for a room literally on the ocean!!!
ALSO, I arrived to Jekyll Island with my grandmother and had yet to make a hotel reservation. After going into a few hotels we decided we wanted to stay at the quality in because it was morereasonably price than the other place, AND the person who was working behind the front desk was the nicest lady and so energetic! After choosing to stay there we asked her if we could please get a room on the bottom floor since my grandmother can't walk up and down stairs with her bad knees, and the only room she had left was a suite. SO, bless her heart she gave us the suite room for the same price!!! She was so incredibly nice and we enjoyed the very nice rooms as well! We really liked the breakfast too, you can make your own waffles! :-)

Room Tip: You can literally back your car right to your door on the bottom floor to unload, so if you drive th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

I arrived to Jekyll Island with no definite plans on staying just a normal day trip...Once I started sightseeing I was in awe and knew i wanted to spend at least another day on the island..I priced several different hotels but I chose Quality Inn because of the energetic greeting from the young black lady working the desk she gave me a map..explained some other things to do and suggested several resturants...I really felt like home away from home..The rest of the staff was cheerful as well...will definitely be back and hopefully the same cozy atmosphere will remain.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!