“FILTHY & MOLDY - A TRUE HEALTH HAZARD!” 1 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
GreenLeadersBronze level
Winter Park, Florida
“FILTHY & MOLDY - A TRUE HEALTH HAZARD!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I have worked in the hotel industry for over 20 years, so I thought we would never be surprised. We were wrong! We decided to stay at this hotel DESPITE the bad reviews, as there was not availability in any other property in the island. We stayed in a two bedroom suite.... oh my!!!! Even our kids, 7, 9, and 11 told us that that was far from being a suite, and they were right!

This hotel is TERRIBLE! The smell of old, must and mould was OVERPOWERING to say the least. The carpet and walls where filthy, the kitchen was greasy, the drawers were falling out and full of "wild-life", the bathroom was disgusting, the tub stained and the door got stuck every single time. The sheets were dirty and the covers had chewing gum stuck on them. The towels were old and with holes. We killed several bugs, coackroaches, spiders etc during our 2 night stay. The pull up couch could break your back. The ceiling and walls had plenty signs of humidity and we found torn pieces almost in every room. The facilities/yard was unkept and we didn't dare to approach the pool, as we were warned by other guests of the poor conditions. All of us left with worrying coughs, breathing and lung issues. Be aware!!!!

The complimentary beakfast was simple, as we would have expected, but none of us dared to dig into anything as it was so disgustingly dirty!

The staff was most helpful and cheerful. They deserve to work under better conditions or simply in another hotel. That is what we plan to do next time we go to Jekyll Island.

Quality Inn should be ashamed to have its name above the roof of this property. The Health Department should simply close it down until they meet minimum requirements. This property is a health hazard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE STAY AWAY!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
qualityjekyll, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I am very concerned about the issues that you raised about our hotel. We accomodate may guests each evening and the principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service and a quality product. Cosequently, it's disappointing to learn that you are unhappy with your stay. In order for me to further address your issues, I need additional information. While our property is an older hotel, we strive to maintain a clean and crisp product for our customers. All of our customers attest that when an issue arrises, it is promptly corrected as to ensure all of our guests have the best experience. I sincerely apologize that you and your family did not enjoy their stay with us. My staff and I would much like to have you and your family return to stay with us that we may demonstrate to you our quality of service! Sincerely, Deborah Exum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

for the past 30 years my group has been staying at this hotel on our annual golf trip. yes its true this hotel is old and my need some work done to it. But having seen the changes over the years management is trying to update it. The new pool is great, looks way different without a car in it (inside joke). My group has always stayed in the outrigger section at the rear of the otel. We always book the 2 bedroom effiency suites and we are always content. Keep in mind we are there to golf and drink where we put our heads is not our biggest concern. the price is always right at this hotel. plus its the closest hotel to the golf club maybe 60 second drive. The hotel room bathrooms have always been a concern and need work but everything works just needs to be updated. Also the T.v's could be revamped aswall. I know last year they were telling us they were switching to digital and Tv's were goona be updated. I am going down in 6 weeks to see this beautiful island and this nice hotel. looking forward to it as always.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

WELL, until September 30th they have a special going on that you pay for your room by the last two digits of your birth year....so we only had to pay $43 for a room literally on the ocean!!!
ALSO, I arrived to Jekyll Island with my grandmother and had yet to make a hotel reservation. After going into a few hotels we decided we wanted to stay at the quality in because it was morereasonably price than the other place, AND the person who was working behind the front desk was the nicest lady and so energetic! After choosing to stay there we asked her if we could please get a room on the bottom floor since my grandmother can't walk up and down stairs with her bad knees, and the only room she had left was a suite. SO, bless her heart she gave us the suite room for the same price!!! She was so incredibly nice and we enjoyed the very nice rooms as well! We really liked the breakfast too, you can make your own waffles! :-)

Room Tip: You can literally back your car right to your door on the bottom floor to unload, so if you drive th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

I arrived to Jekyll Island with no definite plans on staying just a normal day trip...Once I started sightseeing I was in awe and knew i wanted to spend at least another day on the island..I priced several different hotels but I chose Quality Inn because of the energetic greeting from the young black lady working the desk she gave me a map..explained some other things to do and suggested several resturants...I really felt like home away from home..The rest of the staff was cheerful as well...will definitely be back and hopefully the same cozy atmosphere will remain.

• Stayed August 2012
Warrenton, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I was totally thrilled when checking in and the fellow at the desk asked what year was I born- which decided what our rate would be!!!!! It so happened to be 1951, therefore our rate was $51.00. I really have no complaints whatsoever. The breakfast was great, too.

Room Tip: I did ask for a non tourist rate, but had AARP.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We were worried after reading previous reviews, but couldn't have been happier with our experience here. Everything was clean, the staff was great, and the price couldn't be beat. We look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to tell them your age if they ask, sometimes they have age-based promo prices.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

I must say when I was looking to book a room on the island I was looking for something budget friendly. Quality Inn was the cheapest. But due to other reviews I was hesitant in booking, but ending up here anyway. And I must say it was no where near what I was expecting. The staff was super friendly and helpful. Our room was HUGE!!! We had two queen beds, a working microwave and mini fridge. Everything was clean and the air conditioner kept the room icy cold. The continental breakfast was great. We were surprised to see sausage and eggs offered! And one of our most favorite things were the bike rentals, their rates are reasonable. Not to mention it's located across the street from the beach and the hotel pool is nice and clean if you're not up to lugging everything/everyone :) to the beach. Also restaurants are within a short driving distance. All in all if your looking to save a little money on hotel costs this hotel is defiantly a must!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!