“A Step Back in Time” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Saint Charles, Illinois
“A Step Back in Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

This hotel is from another era. It is also very relaxing and wonderfully peaceful. The staff is attentive and anxious to be helpful. The surroundings are most beautiful. History abounds in the area. Our trip was during the month of April and it was a quiet time when vacationers were enjoying the surroundings and the rocking chairs on the porch and the sunsets over the water. I want to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex are very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Tiverton, RI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

The Jekyll Island Club Hotel is a US national park and all of the grounds are open to all visitors. The US taxpayer also maintains the grounds. Our room was small, with heavy furniture, and one chair. Therefore the room could not be used for anything save sleeping. We paid extra for a river view, which was visible from the bathroom. Housekeeping was poor with the room never properly cleaned over our multi-day stay. Other than housekeeping, the balance of the staff were friendly and attentive. Since the room could not be used for anything else, we spent time looking for a quiet public area - which there was not. People bellowing all day from the pool and one night well past midnight. There is a lovely verandah, but there were always groups vying to see who could be the loudest, and there was always the cigar smoker to stink up the area. Even watching a sunset away from the main house, there were always loud groups oblivious to everyone else. The Club facility on the beach was like noisy and with a grill that made the covered area smell like a greasy spoon restaurant. The Club grounds are worth a visit. But that can be done from a different on-island hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hoschton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We visited the Jekyll Island Club Hotel in July of 2014. When I first saw our room, I was a little disappointed because it was so small and the view was of the roof and A/C unit on the build next to us. Then I had a "a ha moment." This is not a modern hotel with big rooms. This is a hotel that was built over a century ago, so I am sure the rooms were quite smaller back then. What I love about this place is the history behind it. If you stay over night at this hotel, you get a free tour. So, make sure you check this out when you arrive because it is well worth your time. The little bakery is outstanding. Actually, I preferred that over the main dining room when it came to breakfast. We ate dinner at the Crane Cottage, and I have to admit that I loved every bite of my meal. Over all, I loved this hotel, and I can't wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: The pool is amazing. I believe it's a heated pool, too. For me to say that a pool is amazing i...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Our wedding took place at the Crane Cottage on Jekyll Island Club Hotel, and the wedding turned out to be an even more spectacular event than I had ever imagined it to be! Our guests were blown away by the beauty of the location, the amazing service by the staff at Crane, the awesome tasting food, and the collaborative work that went into making the event such a special day!
Although we planned the wedding from a far, I was consistently in communication with the event coordinators and really felt that we were in good hands from day one (Thanks to Jessica Shell and Beth Vanderberg!) They answered all of my questions, provided suggestions when needed, and even supported us in sticking to a budget (which can be extremely difficult when planning a wedding!)
The wedding turned out absolutely amazing and exceeded our expectations. Friends/family have not stopped thanking us for inviting them to the "best wedding they have ever been to." I recommend Jekyll Island Club Hotel to anyone and everyone who is looking for a unique, romantic, fun, and absolutely gorgeous wedding!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I absolutely loved staying at JICH. Everyone was nice, the customer service amazing, and there is a secret library in the bottom level. I loved everything about this hotel and will be going back again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Daniel Island, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

This hotel reminds me of other historic hotels like the Summit Hotel in NJ, the Coronado in San Diego, Turnberry in Scotland. The minute you drive onto the grounds, you get a sense of an affluent oasis from the past complete with the croquet lawn. The pool didn't look that inviting so we never used it (lots of kids and a bit worn). The Sunday brunch was one of the best that we've been to, complete with a pianist and service of a past era (we enjoyed dining in the sunporch). Our room was charming but the bathroom was a bit worn around the edges (it seemed odd to have an 80s jacuzzi in a 1890 room) - our room (in Sans Souci) was on the third floor and had a porch overlooking the river but the trees hid most of the river. We wish that Crane's Court was open but it is booked on most summer weekends for wedding. There aren't many restaurant options on the Island - we drove to one that was recommended on TA (the beach one) but it was in a tired villa complex so we drove back to the Club Hotel and ate at Latitude on the pier. The setting was beautiful with the sunset - but my entree of shrimp wasn't fresh and was a bit "chewy". I wish we had dined at the Grand restaurant in the hotel - probably much better food and the ambiance again looked like it was from an bygone era - very historic and grand.

The front desk staff was very gracious and when they found out that we were celebrating our anniversary the end of my chemo - they gave us a very nice room and sent up champagne. We were only here for one night so didn't get to settle in like I would have wanted to. I loved the historic photographs throughout the hotel. One minor glinch - after brunch I needed to go onto my computer and do some work and the wifi was very slow....I finally gave up.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

What a beautiful setting. Food is absolutely fabulous! The staff is tenured and provide impeccable service. Great place to getaway for a weekend trip. Our business has held annual meetings here for years and we have continued to return because it is so great! Highly recommend for business, family or couples!

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Jekyll Island Club Hotel? Share your experiences!