“Resort?” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Ormond Beach
“Resort?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

As others have stated the hotel is still under construction. So beware if you plan to experience the amenities like the huge fire pit. A nice attraction, but it is NOT complete and therefore useless. The view is great and the room was adequate and clean.

However, with most hotels today, you get a free breakfast. Not with this Holiday Inn. If you want a cup of coffee other than the nasty stuff in the room you will have to dig into your wallet. Two cups will cost you close to $6.00. And if you are an early riser do not expect to get that expensive brew until 7:00am. I guess a complimentary offering in the lobby is asking a bit too much for this so called resort.

Be aware of the outrageous price increase if you plan to spend the weekend for the same room.

This is a hotel that wants to be more than it is. More professionalism and better customer service might elevate their status to that of a RESORT.

Room Tip: Avoid the weekend
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dacula, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The room was nice enough, but the motel is still under construction. The pool wasn't approved by the local health department until the second day of my visit.
Check in was a nightmare. My reservation information was incomplete, even though I booked on Holiday Inn's website. The person checking me in made me wait while she took 2 phone calls. At one point she called another person over, I thought to complete my check in. But no, she was just asking a question for the caller, while I still waited. She had taken my ID and not given it back...I finally reached over the counter to get it. It took over 15 minutes just to get my room key, and I was the only one checking in. There were 3 other employees sitting at PCs in the lobby, but apparently they were not able to help with check in. Oh, the kicker is that the person helping me was Rebecca, the Front Office Manager. If she is training all their customer service reps, they are in trouble!
Sensing my anger, she gave me a ticket for a free soda from their snack bar. I was overwhelmed with the generosity!
Several things on the property aren't set up well for guests. For example, there are no trash cans on the grounds, even at the pool. If you want to keep your place clean, give people a place to throw away their trash!
The only ice machine is on the third floor in the middle of the property. I was directed there by the front desk, only to find it padlocked! Apparently there is rash of ice thefts in the area!
This place needs some help.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
HIR-GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Hank C,

We were very disappointed to see your comments regarding your recent visit. The phones have been ringing off the hook here, and it sounds like you got caught in the midst of some heavy activity.

We genuinely appreciate your observations! As we just opened days ago, all of the feedback is critical. We definitely need to do a better job of directing people to our trash cans and ice machines...which we have plenty of.

I regret that you didn't seek me out while you were here, because we aim to please. Please take a moment to contact me now, as we would like to find a way to make it up to you.

Most humbly,

Greenfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A friend recommended that we see Jekyll Island, and after driving around the island and not finding an available room, I stopped here. Recently renovated, we arrived on the second day they were open. We had a beautiful water front room which opened up to the beach - live music was playing outside, where there was an outside bar setup. Everything was beautiful and comfortable, and I would recommend to anyone to stay here!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Lisa G,

We were equally lucky to have you as our guest! Thanks for the great comments!

Clinton, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife, two golden retrievers and I arrived one week after this hotel opened. We chose this hotel because of their "dog friendly" policy (common with vast majority of Holiday Inns), reasonable price, and beach front location. Its quite obvious the new staff works as a close team, all doing their part to ensure perfect accommodations for every guest. The outdoor, beachside bar adds a welcome new nightlife element for both guests and locals on a very quiet, slow paced island. The hotel resort also provides a second bar that doubles as morning coffee/light breakfast bar located indoors/upstairs near a supervised children's activity room. The ground floor rooms are well designed providing an outside parking lot entrance door and ocean side door leading to the pool, beachside bar, and (obviously) the beach. All second floor rooms are provided with a balcony. The hotel location is remote enough to allow your dog to run on the beach "off leash" without disturbing others.

The only downfall, that has nothing to do with the hotel staff, is the pillows; I suggest you bring your own unless you prefer an extremely firm pillow. Since I find these same pillows in all Holiday Inns (I travel quite a bit and frequently stay at HI) I suspect Holiday Inn Corporate has a centralized purchasing office and the local manager has little say over these minor details. The beds themselves, however, were quite comfortable.

I would definitely stay here again, probably will, and highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with HP IE bookmark

HIR-GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear simcm2015,

Wow! We couldn't have said it better ourselves! We are so gratified that you like it as much as we do! For the record, we offer two firm and two soft pillows on every bed at the resort, and they are marked right on the pillow case. Also, it is advisable to acknowledge the local leash laws, before allowing your dog to scamper about. We love our pets!

We will look forward to your return visit.

All the best,

Jason D Smith
Brunswick, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The new Holiday Inn on Jekyll Island is a great addition to the island. While not completely finished everything is very inviting. The view from the oceanfront rooms is spectacular. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The additional cost for an oceanfront room is well worth it. Beautiful view of the ocean with spect...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Dear Tourgal21,

Your positive comments are very much appreciated! We feel privileged to be an integral part of Jekyll Islands revitalization and the amazing transformation underway!

Cheers!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We arrived on jekyll island Friday at around 1230 in the afternoon. We were supposed to be staying at the quality inn across the street, but as we pulled up, we immediately knew that was a mistake and wanted to switch hotels to the Holiday Inn.

Long story short, after viewing the unacceptable conditions at the Quality Inn we canceled our room there and made our way over to here. The hotel is literally BRAND NEW. Everything is clean and everyone is very helpful. The outdoor bar, while small, had plenty to drink and eat. I will say that the stay was very pleasant and if we make our way back to jekyll island I will not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Scott S.,

We were very pleased to see your comments here and so glad that we exceeded your expectations! Your comments are very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Fraser, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have been coming to Jekyll Island for 13 years (from Michigan). There is NO Other property on this Island that can compare with this one (in my opinion)! If it's about the landscape and the constant view (ocean, palms, etc.).....THIS IS WHERE YOU WANT TO BE!!! Newly opened...not quite 2 weeks...obviously they are still working to make it perfect...there will be a new full service restaurant opening by next year which will make your stay even better.....but for me this is where I want to be on this island!!!

Room Tip: All rooms have EXCELLENT views!!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Chris K,

Thanks for your vote of confidence and glowing description of our sweet spot here on Jekyll. We look forward to having you as our guest for years to come!

Best,

Jason Smith

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island? Share your experiences!