“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Florida
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The view is great - right on the beach. Our room faced the ocean and was "oceanside efficiency" (slightly larger with kitchen). Older hotel, but newer ones won't be allowed to build this close to the beach from our understanding. We brought our small dog and walked on the beach with her each day. Nice pool area, volleyball and large lawn area to accommodate children! Bicycle and jogging paths right outside the hotel. Didn't visit the restaurant so can't comment. We had a very nice time and would certainly return if in the area.

Room Tip: Definitely would want to be oceanside and if you have "oceanside efficiency", you have a k...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
OISGM, General Manager at Oceanside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear MixedNutFlorida:

Greetings from beautiful Jekyll Island! We are thrilled to read what a fun time you had at Oceanside Inn and Suites. It seems like you and your family enjoyed all the hotel amenities and really soaked in the charm of Jekyll Island. We hope to see you again soon!

Jason Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Northeast Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I was very worried after reading the reviews of this hotel that I had made a mistake. It was much ado about nothing. The grounds are gorgeous. It's so nice to be able to walk out of your room and onto the beach. There are lawns and comfortable areas to sit and relax and look at the ocean. There was a soccer net and a volleyball court. It was nice to see people playing on the lawns with their children. The is a pet friendly hotel and that's why we chose it. Their pet fee is very reasonable. The room was an efficiency and it was clean. Yes, it does need remodeling, but there really was nothing wrong with the room. Actually, I got a kick out of the old fashion-ness of it! The hotel is huge and was pretty full as this was peak beach season. They have coffee and a fresh fruit in the mornings. The staff was extremely helpful. I didn't hear much noise from inside the room which was great because my dog barks when he hears noise.

As far as Jekyll Island itself, this is a quaint, quiet island. There is a charge to "park" every 24 hours if you come and go off the island. The only fast food spot is the Dairy Queen at the gas station. This is a nice spot with picnic tables so we were able to eat while the dog was with us. My dog barks if I leave him so we were not able to eat in any other restaurants. I would love to go back to the island another time without the dog so I could explore the museum, the turtle center, etc.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear psu2010:

Thank you so much for your review of Oceanside Inn and Suites! We are so glad to hear what a great time you had and that you were able to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of Jekyll Island. Your review was very informative and we truly appreciate you taking the time to do it. We hope to see you again very soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The room decor is more or less on par with an older motel 6, but the mattresses are new and very comfortable. It is located right on the beach, and as a nice pool. Also very pet friendly (dogs are even allowed on the beach at this access point). Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
OISGM, General Manager at Oceanside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear ARtravlers,

We are so glad that you had a positive experience at Oceanside Inn and Suites and look forward to your speedy return to Jekyll Island! We'll leave the light on for ya.

Regards,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The keys to our room was so aggravating. It took about 5 times to get it. I went and got a new key and it still took it 5 times. The showers are nasty. We were on second floor, and our balcony was very old and falling apart. We did have our dog with us, so I knew it wouldn't be a top of the line hotel but I was still very disappointed.

Dear Stephvickery,

We were disappointed to find your post here and read your less than positive feedback. We appreciate the input. Our electronic door locks are sometimes hampered by the high humidity and highly corrosive beach air. We are so sorry that it created so much difficulty for you. I trust that you brought your bathroom concerns to our attention, and that the issue was rectified quickly.

Thanks for helping us improve!

Monticello, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Check in was a challenge. After arriving an hour before check-in time, we were told to return in an hour. After doing so, we still waited for over an hour before the room was "inspected." Nevertheless, it was obvious that getting the room ready for the next occupants (us) entailed only minimum preparation: i.e. changing the bed sheets. Towels and washcloths were not restocked. Bathroom sink not cleaned. Soda bottle caps on floor. Our intended stay of three nights turned out to be one evening only.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lawrence B,

We were so disappointed to see your post here, and that we failed to get your room properly cleaned and inspected before your arrival. We do have challenging days from time to time. I can only hope that you brought theses issues to our attention and that you received satisfaction prior to your departure. If not, please let me know.

Kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Rose meixsel deserves a raise. She is such a hard worker and is a delightful first impression at checkin. The rooms are clean but dated, thus the great value. It is so convenient to the jekyll island convention center. I brought my family and dog too! I will stay here again.

Dear Ronald C.,

Thanks for confirming that Rose and her team at the Front Desk are gems! But we already knew this. Please come an experience that incredible hospitality again very soon.

Cheers,

Clarksville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I reserved a room for 4 nights. I knew ahead of time that this place was old....50 some years to be exact. I thought that since they still were open and advertised as ocean front that maybe they had improved...lol. No way, they r staying open as long as they can hoping that nothing serious happens between now and when they close for renovation to a holiday inn resort. I took numerous pictures could not stay in the first or second room offered, stayed in the third room offered, still not happy for the price. The second floor balcony was not safe as for concrete it moved . The housekeeping staff were great and apologetic for the inconvenience. Not once did Jason the manager apologize. His story was well you know its housekeeping. Well mason just wanted to let you know, its management and from what i witnessed your management is poor. If it were not for your housekeeping and maintenance staff, you would not survive. Your front desk staff all needs to be replaced. Elaine has no personality and is not courteous, as well as the other two adies that were there during. Our stay. If qnyone has any questions please email me at rimot@ charter.net and i will send current pictures of what their management (jason) feels is acceptible). Not to say i did not have a great time in the area, its just that nothing at the placecwevstayed added to it in any way. In fact we did no feel safe there.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel to stay. I am not picky. This was plain nasty! Then add about 22.00 to y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Rimoto,

I very much regret your inability to respond to my email. I would like to know who you are, as I cannot tell from this post. Obviously you were disappointed, and communicated with me in some way, but I have no recollection of you. We would prefer to make things right with our guests if they have valid concers, and I think we do a pretty good job of that. Please help me solve this mistery...Rimoto.

It seems that your issue was with the safety of our concrete balcony. I have asked our engineering team to inpsect all of our balconies and thusfar we have not identied any safety issues.

Regards,

Jason Smith

Been to Oceanside Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!