“where to stay and eat on Jekyll Island, GA” 4 of 5 stars

Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1175 North Beachview Drive, Jekyll Island, GA 31527   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Greensboro, North Carolina
“where to stay and eat on Jekyll Island, GA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Just returned from a 3 night stay on Jekyll Island, GA. We stayed at the Villas by the Sea Resort in a one bedroom condo. Location is ideal for those seeking a very quiet and serene setting. The onsite restaurant is fantastic in terms of selection and pricing. The food was so good that we ate there every night of our stay and tried a variety of the offerings. Do not miss their sweet potato casserole - it is amazing! Staff at restaurant were pleasant although some of the front desk clerks did not seem overly courteous or helpful at check in.
Gift shop had very good prices on their merchandise and we found some hats that we loved! Bikes can be rented by the hour and are kept at the hotel. Great bike paths on the island.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
New Orleans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Villas by the sea was decent for the price which we paid 129.00 per night through hotels.com. Room was outdated and not the cleanest. If you want any type of ocean view make sure to request it because there is only a few that actually have a nice view. Staff was pretty nice and accommodating for the most part but we did try to check in a little early after driving 14 hrs and they just blew it off and we couldn't check in til 4pm which was frustrating especially since our room was cleaned around 10am each day so I know our room was most likely ready but they didn't either care to check to see if it was done or just forgot to call us. Also there shower was terrible it felt like I was being sprayed down by a garden hose. The villas can be deceiving so make sure you ask what your room has as far as stove top and refrigerator. I most likely would not stay here again because there are much nicer places. I would recommend the holiday inn which is right on the beach or the Jekyll island club hotel, the Hampton inn looked nice as well.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed in a one bedroom condo with a full kitchen with a back door that opened to the pool. The condo itself initially seemed quite nice with a well-stocked kitchen and an appealing decor. But there were a few problems we encountered, with little or no attempt by hotel staff to make right.

The first problem was the wifi internet. I was here with my family, but two days were a professional conference for me. It was quite frustrating to find out that the internet was subpar, and "doesn't work well when the hotel is full" when I need to send work emails in the midst of a conference (held at the resort's conference center). My husband and I were never able to get our phones to connect, much less any other device, though I could get my laptop to connect periodically.

We also quickly realized that while the condo looked nice, some of the furniture was past it's prime. The bed frame squeaked tremendously with every tiny movement, waking up my 4 year old and myself frequently. And one of the dressers was so unstable that when opened it tipped over and hit my son in the face, leaving a black eye. We reported the accident and filled out a report, but nothing more than that came from the hotel.

The pool was nice and we enjoyed the location of our condo (access to pool and easy access to the beach). But the "heated" pool was extremely cold and there was no hot tub, which was a huge disappointment to me. The playground was also fun for my son.

Overall, had things been properly handled, I would have a better feeling about this resort, but as-is, I'm pretty disappointed. Any one of these issues wouldn't be a deal-breaker (aside from the dresser falling on my son), but all together they equal a hotel/resort to which I will not return.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Richard C, General Manager at Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Starseed96- Thank you for providing information regarding your recent visit to Villas by the Sea. I am very sorry about the incident involving your son and have sent you a private message related to this situation.
We are in the process of again, upgrading our WIFI service which is provided by ATT and many times our maintenance staff is able to assist guests who may be experiencing a connectivity issue.
Comments from our guests are important to the successful operation of our resort and I thank you for taking the time to share your experience as it helps us to continually improve our service.
I do hope that if an opportunity to visit Jekyll again in the future presents itself that you will consider Villas by the Sea, so that we can demonstrate the type of hospitality we are capable of providing.

Thank you again.
atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We chose Villas By the Sea for our first visit to Jekyll Island based on reviews and the price point. The front staff was friendly and accomodating upon our arrival and check in was a breeze. The grounds are well maintained with the moss draped oak trees and beautiful flowers blooming all about. There is a nice playground for the kids.

Each villa is independently owned and decorated according to the taste of the owner.. Our unit had a full kitchen with dishes, flatware, pots, and detergent. The unit was dated and in need of a serious overall cleaning. The room had a slight musty smell. The maid service consisted of emptying the trash and clean towels.

The location of the villa was perfect, as it was in walking distance to Driftwood Beach,which was beautiful...especially in the morning. I would advise bringing bug spray as the gnats are vicious, and bring your own cleaning utensils.

Villas by the Sea and not on the ocean...hence the name. Next visit to the area we will stay on St Simons Island and visit Jekyll due to the limited accomodation and restuarant options.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for taking the time to let us know of your recent visit to Villas by the Sea. I am sorry that the Villa you stayed in did not meet your expectations. I have passed along your comments to our Housekeeping Department for review.
We have a variety of 1,2 and 3BR accommodations, many with views of the water, but unfortunately, the protected dune line and established trees does limit some viewing locations.
There are several new restaurants that will be opening in the coming months which will certainly offer a variety of dining choices and we hope that another visit to Jekyll Island will be considered.

Thank you.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at Villas by the Sea for a weekend getaway. The location was outstanding! It's right by the ocean. There's a boardwalk that provides a romantic view of the ocean and sunrise and sunset. The room we stayed in was great! We stayed in a 1 bedroom near the pool. It was very private and we could not hear any commotion from the pool. The room was clean and spacious enough for the two of us.

The Driftwood Bistro was convenient and the food was okay. The petite portion sizes were good. However, I feel the food was on par with the other restaurants we visited on the island.

Overall, we had a great time at Villas by the Sea and would visit again if we were to go to Jekyll Island in the future.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello Sarah and thank you for taking the time to let is know of your recent visit to Villas by the Sea. We appreciate your comments and hope that a future return visit to Jekyll Island will include a stay at the Villas!

Thank you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Villas by the Sea is located by the north end of Jekyll Island so the tides can get to their highest peaks come high tide. This can give some the impression that the beach is limited depending on the timing of the tide but if you grab a tide chart you can plan accordingly for early morning or late afternoon walks or play along the beach. The Villas feature three access points with a nice boardwalk that is even usable during high tide for awesome views regardless of the tide time.

The Villas themselves are several different buildings each with unique units. These are mostly time share units with a few residential units mixed in. You can book with the main office for the Villas that are setup for regular hotel rates, the main office does not and cannot book travel agent rates due to hotel regulations and being a time-share facility. Most time shares are booked via Jekyll Island Realty where you can view the different Villas available.

Each time share is owned by an individual so furnishings inside vary but most are furnished well with the basic comforts. The common size of each unit is about 1000 sq ft or more typically two bedroom with one and a half bath. Our Unit 289 has a king and two twins perfect for a family of four, it is also located across the way from the onsite restaurant, near the pool, and a brief walk to the main board walk. The onsite restaurant is one of the best on the island and is open during peak season for lunch (typically) and serves a wonderful menu of southern and Jekyll island favorites.

Being on the north end of the island you see less traffic and not as many other tourists especially in the off season which isn't for everyone but with small children and a blank itinerary we find the come-and-go as you please vacation works best here. So if your looking for a slower pace less commercial vacation this is worth a shot.

Tips for peak season visits:
- State park check for events prior to scheduling the island can get crowded
- Bring bug spray and sun screen if staying late spring - early summer as mosquitoes can be an issue
- The are R/V, Camper, and Tent spaces on the north end of the island you can find these on the State park site
- This is a State park of Ga so CCW laws apply
- Get to know the locals, ask them about local haunts or favorite spots you can find lots of stuff off the beaten path

We have been vacationing here since 2012 and are already booked for 2015.

Room Tip: Book through Jeykll Island realty for flexible rates and specific Villas.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Hello Chris T. and thank you for your kind remarks about the Villas and Jekyll Island. Just to clarify, the Villas are not a timeshare resort, as all Villas are individually owned condominiums and decorated by each owners tastes. I would like to apologize for any reservation miscommunication, as we accept travel agency reservations on a regular basis.
We are glad that you are planning a return visit and we look forward to seeing you again!

Thank you again!
Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hubby & I stayed here over Christmas last year and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The staff was very friendly and accommodated our needs since staffing was low due to the holiday. Lovely & welcoming lobby area with a little "store" inside which sells snacks, sweets, (non-alcoholic) drinks, & souvenirs. Our room was very nicely appointed & comfortable - bathroom was especially spacious. The overall grounds are quite nice and the property is located almost directly on the beach (although the beach disappears at high tide everyday). There is a long pier which runs parallel to the beach - gorgeous view of St. Simon's Island in the distance. We enjoyed Christmas Eve dinner at the hotel restaurant - food was delicious, atmosphere was festive & service was great. My favorite part of our visit was the bike riding: biking around Jekyll Island is a must-do...it's the best way to really experience this unique place that feels detached from the hustle & bustle of the rest of the world. Villas by the Sea provides bike rental on-site for a decent price; the island is quite flat, so even non-biking enthusiasts should find the ride very relaxing & not too challenging. We biked around Jekyll a couple of times on Christmas day, enjoying the lovely scenery & historic sites - by far, my best Christmas in a very long time. The only negative aspect to this resort that I perceived is that you are charged for 1 night's stay when making your reservation, as opposed to having your credit card charged for the entire visit at checkout (like most other hotels). I made our reservations in July 2014, so I had to pre-pay for 1 night all those months ahead. Additionally, if you cancel your reservations, you are stilled charged a cancellation fee even if you cancel far in advance. My advice about this is to be absolutely sure you want to visit Jekyll & can keep your plans, because once you make that reservation, you're going to be paying one way or another. All in all, I would highly recommend this resort for anyone travelling to Jekyll Island. Even better: we were given a 15% discount coupon for our next visit to Villas by the Sea - I can't wait to get back there to take advantage of it!

Room Tip: Ask for a handicap-appointed room even if you are not handicapped - the bathroom is huge!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello SouthIsCalling- What a wonderful overview of your visit to Villas by the Sea and we appreciate you taking the time to convey your experience! We hope that you will take advantage of the return discount and look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Thank you.

Been to Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!