“Nice condos right next to driftwood beach” 4 of 5 stars

Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1175 North Beachview Drive, Jekyll Island, GA 31527   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Tampa, Florida
“Nice condos right next to driftwood beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here the week of 4th of July. We rented a one bedroom condo from a realty company for a great price. The unit was a bit dated, and a little small for our family (2adults 2kids), but much bigger than any hotel room and adequate for a week stay. The grounds at the resort are beautiful and spacious. Nice pool area and playground, barbeque and picnic areas, and direct access to the beach! The driftwood restaurant was really good as well, and reasonably priced. The only negative for me was the beach. Maybe being from Florida I am a bit spoiled, but the water was a murky brown, and the sand was more like mud. Loved the history of the island.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Richmond Hill, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Got off to a bad start. Front Desk argued and questioned how we booked our package (we booked it directly!). Did not receive the waterpark tickets without a fight (they basically questioned that we called the hotel for the package arrangement) Mold/Mildew issues in the bathrooms, heavily stained carpet, cobwebs and spiders in the guestrooms. When we mentioned our concerns to the GM, he responded with an attitude. Yes, I asked for compensation and had to negotiate it. Not once did I receive an apology from the GM. Terrible service, zero professionalism and I would never return to this place. I have 1 week of family time a year and this is definitely not worth the headache and over $400 a night.. The only good thing was the restaurant they had. Great service and food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ryan M, General Manager at Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I would like to apologize again, for the inconveniences you encountered from your recent visit to Villas by the Sea. When we spoke originally, it was obvious there was a misunderstanding when you made your reservations directly on-line, then upon arrival, asking to change the reservation to a package special, which included up to 6 local water park tickets. You requested 8 tickets, however, the sleeping capacity of your villa was for 6 persons, which is how the package is designed. Once the Guest Service Associate realized what you were requesting, she made the necessary changes to the reservation as a package.
During our conversation, I did apologize for the maintenance issues in your bathroom, which were corrected the day they were reported. Yes, I did ask you what you were seeking from us and we mutually agreed to the outcome of that discussion.
This is only my third assignment in 28 years in the resort industry and I would have never been able to achieve that goal being unprofessional. I assure you, the situation you experienced is not typical of our operation and I will be more than willing to provide you with the type of hospitality we are capable of providing.
Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.
Richard Coyle
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Jekyll Island was a huge disappointment. Your beach time is dictated by the tides. At high tide there was no beach at all. We were traveling with 7 kids under the age of 13, and 2 moms. The lodging was descent but the property reminded us of a campground. There were no working vending machines and only 1 ice dispenser. The local restaurant was not an option for us because of the dress code and the only delivery place closed at 9. We were stuck getting frozen microwave dinners from the hotel gift shop. The pictures shown on line are very misleading. The accommodations are much older than what they advertise. Other than the water park at the south end of the island the trip would have been a total loss. The water park was fairly priced for both admissions and food. I would recommend getting there early (when the park opens) so that you can ride the slides. The lines get so long you will be waiting an hour for each slide.

Room Tip: There was only one bathroom in our unit. We ended up using the lobby and pool bathrooms a lot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ryan M, Director of Sales at Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thanks for staying with us. I’m sorry that we didn’t realize you had 10 people traveling with you. Our largest room, which is a three bedroom/2 bath, only accommodates 6 people. Jekyll Island is a state park and is not over-developed which allows for natural vegetation and surroundings. We appreciate you noticing. Our onsite restaurant is casual however not beach attire casual. We are happy you enjoyed our late night offerings in our Click Café.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We booked a two room villa oceanside. The villa was very nice. The restaurant was excellent..when we stay at the Villas again, we'll plan to eat all our dinners there. LOVED the pool. The gardens behind the villas were wonderful. Great playground too. The ONLY drawback is the beach access...you can only access it during low tide. The kids LOVED the tide pools that are left behind at low tide.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ryan M, Director of Sales at Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to review our resort. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed the time spent here at Villas by the Sea. We look forward to seeing you again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I chose this villa based on the pictures on the Internet.... Our villa was certainly not updated like that. It wasn't so bad to raise a stink, but it wasn't what I was expecting either.

I did like the restaurant on site. We had a beachside room and had great access to that.

Also, daily towel service sometimes doesn't happen until 7pm...

• Stayed June 2013
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

it's really time for some updates. Our 3BR villa was very nice, but the layout was a little strange. It also didn't open up to the pool. The end we were on required that we go down the steps and walk the length of the building to get to the pool. Not the most convenient if you have small children with you. I don't recommend staying by the pool as noise carries and the 10pm closing time apparently doesn't apply to everyone.

As for the pool, while the pictures show pool pillows on the recliners, they really aren't there. The pool itself could use some updating. The pool snack shack doesn't ever open either. While the hotel restaurant is open for lunch, it is a little pricey.

We'll be back, but with new hotels being built, updates are a must.

Tillsonburg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We enjoyed the room. A few little problems, but nothing worth calling the front desk about for a 2 night stay. Bathroom sink didn't drain well, sliding glass door was very difficult to open and close, and a couple of the lamps had burnt out bulbs, but as I said, nothing major and didn't affect our trip.
I liked the photos online, so paid a higher price than I normally would for a weekend trip in this area. The actual facilities are not as nice as they appear in the photos on the resort's website. The pool is nice, but the facilities surrounding are barely average. The poolside bar was never open at all while we were there. Doesn't make sense for a weekend in the summer. There is a sunning deck beside the pool, that seems a good idea, but it looked more like something you'd find at a campground rather than a resort. Wood lattice nailed up around the bottom... just had a cheap appearance and feel.
Front desk staff were friendly enough, but not thorough. When checking in around 10 pm on the Friday night, I was just handed a registration paper to sign and asked to fill in car tag info. She didn't verify the check-in/out dates or rates. We were called at 12:30 pm on the Saturday and asked if we wished to extend our stay. The reservation was for 2 nights. Apparently there was an error in reservations when transferring from Expedia to the hotel's system. Both my husband and I have worked in hotel management for years and know how this works, but the woman addressing this issue at first tried to make it seem like our mistake, then proceeded to blame it on Expedia. Mistakes happen, and we understand this, but just a simple, "sorry for the error" would have gone over much better for me. The blame game is so tacky. This wasn't a huge deal because they weren't sold out that night, so we didn't have to move or anything, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Really I felt they should have double checked the reservation before contacting us. We should probably never have known about the mix-up at all...
One final annoyance: the restaurant doesn't take carry-out orders at all. So if you want food from the restaurant, you have to go and sit down and eat IN the restaurant. Very irritating. I wanted to order some chicken strips for the kids, and bring back to the room, but this wasn't possible. I know the restaurant does not belong to the hotel, but they should have an agreement requiring the restaurant to do carry-out orders for hotel guests. This is ridiculous. Again, not a huge problem, but minor irritations do add up. I thought this was something future guests might want to be aware of.
Overall, I wouldn't go back at this rate. I did not have a terrible time, but felt cheated considering the rate paid.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!