“Okay, but not worth the price” 3 of 5 stars

Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1175 North Beachview Drive, Jekyll Island, GA 31527   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Tillsonburg, Canada
“Okay, but not worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We enjoyed the room. A few little problems, but nothing worth calling the front desk about for a 2 night stay. Bathroom sink didn't drain well, sliding glass door was very difficult to open and close, and a couple of the lamps had burnt out bulbs, but as I said, nothing major and didn't affect our trip.
I liked the photos online, so paid a higher price than I normally would for a weekend trip in this area. The actual facilities are not as nice as they appear in the photos on the resort's website. The pool is nice, but the facilities surrounding are barely average. The poolside bar was never open at all while we were there. Doesn't make sense for a weekend in the summer. There is a sunning deck beside the pool, that seems a good idea, but it looked more like something you'd find at a campground rather than a resort. Wood lattice nailed up around the bottom... just had a cheap appearance and feel.
Front desk staff were friendly enough, but not thorough. When checking in around 10 pm on the Friday night, I was just handed a registration paper to sign and asked to fill in car tag info. She didn't verify the check-in/out dates or rates. We were called at 12:30 pm on the Saturday and asked if we wished to extend our stay. The reservation was for 2 nights. Apparently there was an error in reservations when transferring from Expedia to the hotel's system. Both my husband and I have worked in hotel management for years and know how this works, but the woman addressing this issue at first tried to make it seem like our mistake, then proceeded to blame it on Expedia. Mistakes happen, and we understand this, but just a simple, "sorry for the error" would have gone over much better for me. The blame game is so tacky. This wasn't a huge deal because they weren't sold out that night, so we didn't have to move or anything, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Really I felt they should have double checked the reservation before contacting us. We should probably never have known about the mix-up at all...
One final annoyance: the restaurant doesn't take carry-out orders at all. So if you want food from the restaurant, you have to go and sit down and eat IN the restaurant. Very irritating. I wanted to order some chicken strips for the kids, and bring back to the room, but this wasn't possible. I know the restaurant does not belong to the hotel, but they should have an agreement requiring the restaurant to do carry-out orders for hotel guests. This is ridiculous. Again, not a huge problem, but minor irritations do add up. I thought this was something future guests might want to be aware of.
Overall, I wouldn't go back at this rate. I did not have a terrible time, but felt cheated considering the rate paid.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Forsyth, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Only down fall I had was I wanted A room on the sea side and got one by the road instead. Booked 3 mos. in advance for 3 rooms, we were there together, and I was the only one that got a room by the road and not the beach. Room was cozy for one or two, but needs a queen bed instead of a full. Pad on ironing board needed changing. The maids were very nice and helpful. Only one resturant delivers. Needs more eating places on island for those of us really on the go. Over all I had a very nice stay. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for sea side. Rooms are much nicer. Watch out for bad knee's, some have upstairs.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
OHIO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We enjoy Jekyll and were happy to stay at the Villas by the Sea. Our room was nice, air conditioning not so much and beach access difficult. Our unit needed updating, the paint was sort of just splashed on the wall-no taping areas that should not have been painted.

For the beach they had a foot bridge to the beach but they did not construct it long enough. You might get to the beach but at high tide you would be stuck on the beach and not able to get back. boulders line the beach so if you are carrying a lot of stuff, and who isn't, you could easily lose your balance and be injured.

The pool area was nice and the check in was good with very accommodating personel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lawrenceville, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at the Villas (our 4th time) the week of June 2, 2013. With the exception of rain every day, everything was great! Check in was a breeze. We always get the ocean front, 3 bedroom condos so we can enjoy our privacy. Sitting at the kitchen table and taking in the beach and ocean views is something I could never get tired of...absolutely beautiful. As usual, our unit was clean and well maintained. The cleaning staff was great. The pool is fantastic. The Bistro always delivers great food, service, and prices. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

When booking the room from their website (on-line, pay in full, non-refundable rate), it took three days to get a confirmation email. What happens is that you enter all your personal and credit card info, then press the "CONFIRM" button, and then the expected confirmation page comes up saying "WE CAN'T CONFIRM YOUR ORDER, PLEASE CALL (phone number)." Very unexpected. I thought I'd done something wrong, or my credit card had been blocked—I didn't know. I called the number and they said they do that to force you to call in to confirm. Very bad practice, as they weren't up front about that on the website. When booking hotels on-line, it is customary to get a receipt and confirmation right away in your email—especially when it's a non-refundable exchange. It was a very confusing, and completely unnecessary, experience. It took another two days to finally get an email confirmation. I was finally sure that we had a room, and hadn't been ripped off, and that it was real. Despite the awful website booking experience, the office staff was very friendly and nice.

Jekyll Island is a state park, and it will cost you $6.00 parking to get in, regardless if you are staying at a hotel. The ticket is good for 24 hours. If you leave the island and come back after the 24 hours, it will cost you another $6.00 to get back in. If you don't leave the island during your stay, you don't have to pay anything more. Be prepared to pay a machine, and not an attendant. You will need a credit card or cash.

We spent three nights in a first-floor "oceanside" villa: a nice, clean studio apartment with one bedroom w/ queen bed, kitchen with stove, microwave, fridge, utensils, pans, cable TV with VHS/DVD player, living room, and dining room. Even though we were oceanside, and near the water, we couldn't see the beach or water as there were dunes with very high brush blocking the view. If we were on the second floor, it might have been possible to see. We enjoyed their video/DVD library/books and puzzles that they had available free. The beach there is small, and is mostly a long deck with chairs—pretty nice (there's a great, long public beach 2.5 miles down the road). Parking at the villa was tight, and couldn't get a space near our place, but it wasn't too long of a walk to the car. They have an unmanned cafe with some pre-prepared foods, ice creams, frozen pizzas, and sodas, but I could never get coffee. We stopped in early about 7:30 a.m. for one—ended up driving to the convenience store. We also tried at other times—no coffee. If you want some Starbucks coffee, just go to the Jekyll Island Club's Cafe Solterra (3.5 miles away); they have it there at a decent price, along with sweets and sandwiches. If you need food for the villa, there is small IGA right down the road. Plenty of places at which to shop and eat in Brunswick.

We enjoyed the clean, tidy room. It was a nice experience. Nice appliances in the kitchen, and the VCR/DVD player was a huge plus. The only negative was the toilet that was already clogged when we got there, but they fixed it quickly. There was a small patio for sitting. Wireless internet is included and worked well.

The cleaning staff was annoying. We had one just walk right in our room without knocking! She didn't apologize for doing so. Wasn't too cheerful. On the morning of checkout we had another cleaning staff member knocking on our door at 9:00 a.m. We were still sleeping (checkout was at 11:00 a.m.). I got up, put on some clothes and answered the door. There stood a cleaning staff member with no cleaning supplies. She asked "Are you checking out?". I answered yes and asked why she bothered us. She said "I wanted to know if you needed anything." That was weird. The room didn't come with a Do Not Disturb sign. Perhaps, it was our oversight not asking for one and then putting it out (if they even had them).

I recommend the place for its location, amenities, cleanliness, and most awesome villa. I give it an average score for the awful booking experience and annoying cleaning staff.

Jekyll Island is wonderful and mellow.

Room Tip: Can't see the ocean with an Oceanside first floor villa
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan M, Director of Sales at Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review us. We are happy you enjoy your stay. The problems you had with booking online have been corrected. We apologize for the error message you received. We do have “Do Not Disturb” signs for the doors. We should have made sure your room had one. We also apologize for our overzealous housekeeper on the morning of your departure. We look forward to you staying with us again soon.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Beautiful, unspoiled place to unwind. Upper and lower beaches with a lovely grass walk with gardens. Pet friendly. Great southern cuisine food at their restaurant! Close to Driftwood Beach, an amazing place for photographs.

Room Tip: Go for the oceanfront!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan M, Director of Sales at Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review us. We are delighted you enjoyed our beautiful island and hotel. We hope to see you again soon!
Nashville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I wrote a review back in Feb 2013 regarding an experience that I had at Villias By the Sea that was not so pleasant. After the review was read by a staff member of this Hotel at Jekyll Island, GA, He contacted me and agreed that I was not given proper treatment upon my arrival to check in hotel in Febuary and he told me to contact him and he would try to make things right. Futhermore, I contacted management/sales dept. per their request and I was booked a reservation for two nights at Villas by the Sea on Mothers day weekend. I had the best Mothers Day weekend ever as my 16 year old was able to go with me and my husband. The room was very clean and I loved the lay out of the room with the bedroom by itself and a fold out couch for my daughter which was very comfortable she stated with two flat screen TV's in the one bedroom Villa. The kitchen was fully equiped with everything I needed as well. The huge pool was so warm with a sundeck around it which was very nice. We just fell in love with the pool as it was so pretty with lights around it at night and so much room to swim. We will definetly go back to this hotel.Thanks so much for making things right with us and allowing my family to have a quality, well rested weekend away from home as we had originally intended in Febuary. You validated my feelings and were loyal to your commitment to customer service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ryan M, Director of Sales at Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thanks for giving us another chance. We are happy you enjoy your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Been to Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!