“A Surprize in the Mountains” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Atlanta, Georgia
“A Surprize in the Mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were returning from a few days of hiking in and around Amicolola Falls and wanted to stop for lunch on our return to Atlanta. Jasper is about 1/2 way and this quaint town, County Seat for Pickens has an excellent restaurant that you shouldn't miss. It's been in the same location since 1849...not bad longevity and restaurant is quaint and the menu is interesting, good wines and reasonable prices. We were there at lunch on a Sunday and had to wait for a table, not too long about 15 minutes.

The server a student who has worked there for 3 years was exceptional, knowledgeable and friendly!! I had the quiche, a glass of house cabernet but passed on the very interesting and enticing home made desserts.

Only negative was the wine was served in a water glass, with a good selection of whites and reds and excellent ambiance, management should provide a REAL wine glass. :-)

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tadd S, Owner at 61 Main, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Sib715,

Thanks for the time to do your review. My name is Tadd Schreiber. I am the co-owner of 61 Main along with my wife Jenna.
As much as we would love to take credit for your great meal, I am not sure we will be able to. I am not sure you actually dined at our restaurant, from some of the details (listed below) in your review.

1. We have not been in the same location since 1849. We have been open for 5 years, but in the same location for the last 2 1/2 years.

2. We are not open on Sundays.

I do wish that it was us you are talking about in your review, but I could not , honestly, allow us to take credit for an experience that perhaps was not at our establishment.

From the details I have listed above, perhaps you dined at The Woodbridge Inn, which is open on Sundays for brunch and has also been in the same location for a long long time.

I am glad you were able to stop in Jasper and have a great dining experience. I hope that if you are ever in the area again, you will check us out if you are able.

If I am incorrect about my response, please let me know. Just want to make sure the credit goes to the proper people and restaurant.

Thank you so much.
Tadd Schreiber
Co-Owner, 61 Main
tadd.sch@gmail.com

89% Recommend
“Trying too hard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Food: The menu items are interesting, but often the chef seems too be trying a bit too much to be innovative. As a result, some of the items are borderline strange, with ingredients battling each other, rather than complementing each other. On the other hand, the kitchen is accommodating to special dietary needs.

Service: Only good things to say about the service.

Ambiance: Though tastefully decorated, the noise level can be quite difficult to deal with. Maybe it's just me, but it seems many people enjoy elevated sound levels, believing it adds to the interest/excitement of an establishment. I believe it simply destroys the mood, since everyone must shout to be heard.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
atlanta
“Gem in a small town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had read T.A. reviews & am happy to report that 61 Main lived up to all those great ratings! Definitely order the Charcuterie app - the BEST homemade pretzels w/a horseradish/mustard dipping sauce I have ever had! Did not like the Fried Green Tomatoes just cause I don't care for the Italian preparation, I prefer them Southern style. I got the Flounder which is baked w/panko & it was fabulous! Plus awesome tartar sauce (not too sweet!). Husband got the short ribs which were SO good! Grits weren't good...kind of odd actually but not like regular grits. Great cocktail & wine selection. I had a glass of the Cartecay Vidal Blanc...amazing! (now I am going to go to that vineyard!) So definitely go & make reservations cause they get filled up easily!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Unique farm to table with an international twist.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We have dined here a few times within the last two years and love this little place. This is truly a farm to table kind of place sourcing from local farmers and gardeners. Brasstown beef and local pork dishes are both usually very good, also like the fresh seafood dishes.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jasper, Georgia
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Loved the salad dressing, the bread, and a few scallops. The lamb was extremely disappointing (Could not tell it was lamb--crunchy, dry, and way overcooked) and the mushroom appetizer too done. Some scallops were overcooked, dry, and chewy. Looked forward to our dinner but the price did not match the food. We will try again someday.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Been to 61 Main? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage 61 Main, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.