“Not the atmosphere I expected, but good steak.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Plumsteadville, PA
“Not the atmosphere I expected, but good steak.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2015

Not sure what it is with restaurants in this area, but we noticed many that offered "all you can eat" buffets, in addition to items off a menu. This restaurant was within walking distance of our hotel, we decided we wanted a steak, so what better place to go than a restaurant that says it's a steakhouse?

We arrived about 8pm on a Saturday night. The atmosphere is more like that of a Golden Corral, which is one of those places we avoid because not only is the quality of the food often less than satisfactory, and the atmosphere non-existent, but because gluttony is a sin and people tend to be gluttons when eating at these "all you can eat" places. Not to mention the waste often left on plates.

We cruised by the Buffet on our way to the table, and decided to order off the menu. We both wanted Prime Rib, but our server Brett advised that they were sold out of both sizes of Prime Rib. We opted for the Rib Eye. The steak was cooked just as ordered, so kudos to the chef. The steak was seasoned perfectly and we did not require any steak sauce to "doctor it up". Again, kudos to the chef. The skin on the baked potato was encrusted with a coarse sea salt. Nice touch.

Our dinner included one trip to the salad bar. There was barely enough lettuce in the salad bar to make two salads. What we didn't realize was that the restaurant closes at 8:30pm....on a Saturday night? So no one was replenishing the salad bar at the hour we arrived. It would have been propitious for our server to notice that the salad bar was looking sad and to ask the kitchen staff to just make up two small salads and bring them to our table...rather than exposing a limp salad bar to the customer.

I thought it really weird that our server handed us our check before we even had our food served. I said to Brett, "Is your shift over? Are you getting ready to go home?" And he just said, "No." I don't know, it was just weird.

It wasn't until we noticed staff cleaning up the floor with both a broom and a non-motorized stick-sweeper which was thankfully quiet, that we realized the restaurant was closing. At least they had the courtesy to not ask us to lift our feet in order to get under our table. But every other table was physically moved and swept under. Well, that's great that they take cleanliness seriously, but let's not forget a certain level of decorum for those customers still seated nearby and trying to enjoy their dinner.

About halfway through eating our dinner, a young man and a small child sat at a table directly behind us. In my opinion, the young man was waiting for a worker to finish their shift. He wasn't eating, and the baby was noshing on a roll. The baby was quiet, and very cute. The young man was loud and insisted on speaking loudly to our server, Brett, on subjects about personal training, proper nutrition, what time do you want to go to the gym, etc. etc. etc. At one point, Brett actually sat at the table and engaged in conversation with this young man...I think in an attempt to keep the volume of the man's voice from having to shout at Brett while he was trying to do his job. It was very distracting to listen to this loud young man talk about and defend his authority of every subject imaginable. It certainly had an impact on our Saturday (date) night dinner.

The 10 oz rib eye was about $16, included a baked potato and one trip to the salad bar. The iced tea (or sweet tea as they say around here) was just under $2, and was very good...real brewed tea, sweetened just right. I'd say this is more of a family restaurant than a couples restaurant. There is really no atmosphere except for old movie posters and decor from "Gone With The Wind" which was in the hostess area, not the dining area.

But the steak was actually very good.

Visited April 2015

Louisville, Kentucky
“Hungry Hiker meets a Buffet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2015

After 6 days on the Appalachian Trail and 70 miles anything would have been good. But this was a great buffet fried chicken /ribs/ ham and all the fixins for only $8.00 Place was filled with older locals and two things I know about "older folks" they know good food and good value. If you are hiking the AT make this your 1st stop to eat.

• Visited March 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Canton
“Major Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2015

On Friday, 3/13/15, my friend and I were in the mood for a date night and a nice steak. I searched for steak restaurants in the Hiawassee/Blairsville area on line. When Daniel's Steakhouse popped up, it sounded perfect. We called at 7:00 and asked about the steaks on the menu. Still sounded nice. We arrived at 7:40 and noticed that only two tables were occupied and they seemed ready to leave. We should have turned around before we were seated as the bright lights and Bible verses posted along with cheap pictures of "Gone With the Wind" reminded me of eating in a bus station about 40 years ago. Still, we stayed. A surly waitress finally took our order and directed us to a tired buffet line for our salad. As we returned to our table, another server started vacuuming all around our table and the surrounding area. She also asked if we wanted anything else on the buffet as they were closing it. She also informed us that even tho the website said they were open 'til 9:00, they were closing at 8:00. Of course, they didn't sell wine. Dinner finally arrived. The baked potatoes were literally inedible - looked liked they had been microwaved many times over the last week. Steak wasn't bad after cutting off all the grissle/fat. The yelling and crashing of pots & pans coming clearly from the kitchen also added to our experience. Don't go.

• Visited March 2015
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“If you love gone with the wind...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2015

Then this is the place for you, the food,service is top drawer,and the decor is true southern all the way.... Its a relaxing place to go and enjoy a great meal in fact I'd recommend it to anyone my wife and I got married in December of 2014 and by far is my favorite place to go eat in the area...

• Visited February 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jackson, Georgia
“Food seemed good despite the bad I heard.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2015

I heard the food was not as good as it used to be from several people. I had a patty melt at lunch and it was great! I can only imagine that dinner is equally as good. I did not eat from the all you can eat bar which is probably why I was not disappointed.

Visited January 2015