“Terrible Customer Service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Hiawassee
Vero Beach
“Terrible Customer Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

When faced with a family emergency we had to cut our stay short by one day. You only know if you ask, so I asked if they could offer a partial refund- not looking for a full refund since the room was booked for an additional night- however LCL wasn't fully booked either therefore shouldn't have had any trouble turning the room. I told the "manager" this was the first time staying at this property & we would like to be a guest again but I've always been a firm believer in speaking up and asking if... she cut me off saying "I use that tactic too"! Really! "tactic" is that how you treat your guests? I wasn't asking for a full refund to begin with! Then she said, you didn't book thru us, I have to pay the booking agent and now your asking for an even greater discount... really? Did the word discount come out of my mouth? I simply asked to split the last nights stay- even agreed to pay all fees. She then eluded to say the person that checked us in didn't charge the right amount... she said she couldn't calulate a refund and played ignorant when I told her how to calculate it! Don't make excuses just simply say NO and KINDLY apologize but perhaps offer another solution for a future visit. Breakfast should say continental BF! Room wasn't clean- food around the parameter of the room- we found beans, bugs, chips and hair. We paid $472.18 for 3 Nights. Shame on your customer service- send that manager to CS Training or get rid of her before she rids you of your repeat customers!

Room Tip: Beautiful location, staff needs trained in customer service & hotel cleanliness.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Douglasville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

First off We were here with a group for the HOG rally. I called the night before and asked if I would be charged on my debit credit card as I was arriving on a Thursday and didn't get paid until Friday ( I pay cash do not do credit). I was advised that I would be ok and nothing would be charged. Then I arrived and was declined Duhhhhh I said I wouldn't have funds until midnight Friday Morning. The manager was just plain out RUDE !!!!! even slammed a piece of paper in front of me and said read if you can't hear me... I proceeded to be asked by a friend when he was walking by and I explained the deal then the Manager started to yell at the top of her lungs. Then I got mad and slammed the front counter.. She refused to understand that they made a mistake on the phone to me and came just short of calling me a liar.

I ended up paying for the first night cash/credit that I had and she still never apologized for the error. The lady in the morning said she was ashamed and that she was out of hand......

As for the Hotel or Lodge they call it is was OK at best It is older and out dated in some cases. but we knew this as we stayed there the previous two years when it was Ramada.

We were given access to play corn hole on the back deck and even had a pizza party there and I even feed their night front desk that night.

Still need a lesson in customer service for the management.

Room Tip: Ok but not many rooms have a view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for your review of Lake Chatuge Lodge. We have greatly enjoyed having the GA State Hog Rally here for the past 3 years.

I apologize, again, for the confusion with your checkin. Per the hotel's policy, a credit card must be used to guarantee the reservation. Upon checkin, this credit card is authorized, not charged, for the stay. It is not until checkout that the credit card is actually charged. Unfortunately, if you are trying to use a credit card with no funds available, the credit card will not be able to authorize at checkin. I tried to offer to have you pay cash since this would avoid the full amount being authorized on your credit card but you wanted to put it on a credit card and you did not have any cash on you.

Again, we enjoyed having the Hog Rally and look forward to having the group back again in 2015!
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Just spent four nights at Lake Chatuge Lodge. It was my base for exploring the area while my husband hiked on the AT. The location was very convenient. My room (2nd floor, lake view) was large, comfortable and clean. Beds were comfortable. There was a table and chair in the room (and tv, nightstand, bureau) and two chairs and small table on the balcony. Free wifi. The common area had several sofas and chairs and decorated very nicely in "mountain lodge" style complete with bearskin on the wall. There was also an area on the 2nd floor with a couple of love seats. Breakfast area had several tables and chairs and offered the usual choices. Weekends included eggs and sausages or sausage gravy and biscuits. Fruit bowls were well stocked. Coffee and other hot drinks were available at no charge all day. Also (free) freshly baked cookies. There was also an ice machine and soda vending machine on the floor. And a washer and dryer. All employees were friendly and helpful. I would certainly recommend this hotel if you are visiting the area. I do think it might be wise to check about what other events might be going on in the area. Just a "heads up" in case you don't want to deal with bicycles or motorcycles or whatever is going on. There are lots of activities in the area, which makes things interesting. Directly across the road is a county park with a lovely sandy beach, playground and very short walking trail along the water's edge. Even in late September there were people playing in the water and sunbathing. The employees are knowlegable about the area and are ready to give directions and recommendations.

Room Tip: I preferred tha lake view. But if you have a room on the other side, you will have a sunset view an...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am happy to hear that you were so pleased with your stay. Our staff tries very hard to accommodate our guests and help them anyway they can. Please stop by so I can say thank you for your kind review of our hotel and I hope you have a great time hiking in the mountains.

Crystal River, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were in Hiawassee, Ga for the annual Harley Rally - nice looking hotel. Rooms were comfortable. Warm cookies in the late afternoon. Nice views of the mountains. Nice lobby area with large couches and chairs to sit in with a large fireplace and TVs going. Fires going in the fire pits out on the patio area at night with the fixins for smores. Nice treat. Also had hot coffee and hot chocolate in the evenings. Good breakfast selection with hot foods as well. The hotel even put out a box of rags for us to clean our Harleys with. Very nice folks and would stay there again.

Only suggestion is that more rooms have refrig and microwave. Only a selection of king rooms had them and it would have been nice to have in our room with 2 dbl beds.

Room Tip: did not see a swimming pool so there should be no rating on this but can't get it to change.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay so much. We always enjoy the Harley Rally. I'm sorry to see that your group is going somewhere else next year, but we will try to get you to come back for 2015. We have started putting out fresh baked cookies in the afternoon for our guests. Our breakfast is included in your stay and I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. I look forward to meeting you the next time you stay in Hiawassee.

Temple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We traveled to Hiawassee for the HOG rally and decided to stay at the Lake Chatuga Lodge (formerly the Ramada) where a lot of our friends were staying.

Check in was easy and painless, the staff was friendly and the lobby are was pretty nice!

The room itself was decent, though it could really use some updating. Even though we did not have the lake view, we still had some pretty nice vies of the north Georgia mountains from our balcony.

The room was a bit musty smelling and dated (it had some prints hanging on the walls that appeared to depict scenes of northern Italy!) and the bathroom was in dire need of a re-tile (some of the floor tiles were actually loose), but the room was clean.

Fresh towels were delivered daily, however they were placed on the edge of the bathtub instead of being hung. A little odd, but whatever.

And the in-room coffee was not replenished with caffeinated packs. De-caf only. The good news is that the free coffee in the lobby was actually very good and fresh, so not a big deal.

The free breakfast buffet was decent and free! No complaints there.

If you are planning on staying in HIawassee on a budget, the Lake Chatuge Lodge is a good bargain!

Two suggestions:

1) Ask for a room with a lake view if you can get it.

2) Make sure you aren't going to be there at the same time as a motorcycle rally! There were a few "un-aware" folks there who did not seem to appreciate the loud motorcycles and very late night carousing. Just saying!

Room Tip: Ask for Lake View!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our staff always enjoys the HOG rally. We do advise everyone that is not with rally that there is a motorcycle rally going on and that there will be activity and noise through their stay. Our housekeepers do a great job keeping the rooms clean, and I will ask why you did not receive and caffeinated coffee. We do keep extra coffee at the front desk and just let them know that you need some. Our upgraded lakeview rooms do offer beautiful views of Lake Chatuge. I apologize if your room smelled musty. We have had record breaking rain this year and a few rooms have been affected by this. Enjoy next year's rally and we look forward to hosting you in 2015.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Last minute decision to go to Georgia state motorcycle hog rally.secured lodging enroute.pleasantly surprised to find a lodge with view from balcony of lake chatuge plus beautiful mountains of Hiawassee Ga. Room was clean and nice.bathroom could use some improvements.friendly staff.evening hours brought smores over blazing fire socializing with fellow riders about days events.

• Stayed September 2013
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We always to love to have your group and hate to see you leave. Everyone is always so pleasant to be around. I am glad that you enjoyed the late night smores and the views from your balcony. Our housekeeping staff works tirelessly to make sure every room is clean. I hope that you enjoy next years rally and we look forward to seeing you the next time you ride through Hiawassee.

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The staff was very nice and helpful. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. It had a microwave and refrigerator and a table and two chairs inside. The deck had a pretty view of the lake. I would stay t

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. Our staff is very inviting and go out of their way to accommodate our guests. The housekeeping staff works very hard to keep their rooms clean. The upgraded lakeview rooms offer terrific views from their private balconies of beautiful Lake Chatuge. I hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in our area.

Katie Stancil

Been to Lake Chatuge Lodge? Share your experiences!