“Much to do with Lake Chatuge Lodge as your base” 5 of 5 stars

Lake Chatuge Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   653 Hwy 76, Hiawassee, GA 30546   |
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Hiawassee
Indiana
“Much to do with Lake Chatuge Lodge as your base”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Just spent four nights at Lake Chatuge Lodge. It was my base for exploring the area while my husband hiked on the AT. The location was very convenient. My room (2nd floor, lake view) was large, comfortable and clean. Beds were comfortable. There was a table and chair in the room (and tv, nightstand, bureau) and two chairs and small table on the balcony. Free wifi. The common area had several sofas and chairs and decorated very nicely in "mountain lodge" style complete with bearskin on the wall. There was also an area on the 2nd floor with a couple of love seats. Breakfast area had several tables and chairs and offered the usual choices. Weekends included eggs and sausages or sausage gravy and biscuits. Fruit bowls were well stocked. Coffee and other hot drinks were available at no charge all day. Also (free) freshly baked cookies. There was also an ice machine and soda vending machine on the floor. And a washer and dryer. All employees were friendly and helpful. I would certainly recommend this hotel if you are visiting the area. I do think it might be wise to check about what other events might be going on in the area. Just a "heads up" in case you don't want to deal with bicycles or motorcycles or whatever is going on. There are lots of activities in the area, which makes things interesting. Directly across the road is a county park with a lovely sandy beach, playground and very short walking trail along the water's edge. Even in late September there were people playing in the water and sunbathing. The employees are knowlegable about the area and are ready to give directions and recommendations.

Room Tip: I preferred tha lake view. But if you have a room on the other side, you will have a sunset view an...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am happy to hear that you were so pleased with your stay. Our staff tries very hard to accommodate our guests and help them anyway they can. Please stop by so I can say thank you for your kind review of our hotel and I hope you have a great time hiking in the mountains.

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Crystal River, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were in Hiawassee, Ga for the annual Harley Rally - nice looking hotel. Rooms were comfortable. Warm cookies in the late afternoon. Nice views of the mountains. Nice lobby area with large couches and chairs to sit in with a large fireplace and TVs going. Fires going in the fire pits out on the patio area at night with the fixins for smores. Nice treat. Also had hot coffee and hot chocolate in the evenings. Good breakfast selection with hot foods as well. The hotel even put out a box of rags for us to clean our Harleys with. Very nice folks and would stay there again.

Only suggestion is that more rooms have refrig and microwave. Only a selection of king rooms had them and it would have been nice to have in our room with 2 dbl beds.

Room Tip: did not see a swimming pool so there should be no rating on this but can't get it to change.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay so much. We always enjoy the Harley Rally. I'm sorry to see that your group is going somewhere else next year, but we will try to get you to come back for 2015. We have started putting out fresh baked cookies in the afternoon for our guests. Our breakfast is included in your stay and I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. I look forward to meeting you the next time you stay in Hiawassee.

Temple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We traveled to Hiawassee for the HOG rally and decided to stay at the Lake Chatuga Lodge (formerly the Ramada) where a lot of our friends were staying.

Check in was easy and painless, the staff was friendly and the lobby are was pretty nice!

The room itself was decent, though it could really use some updating. Even though we did not have the lake view, we still had some pretty nice vies of the north Georgia mountains from our balcony.

The room was a bit musty smelling and dated (it had some prints hanging on the walls that appeared to depict scenes of northern Italy!) and the bathroom was in dire need of a re-tile (some of the floor tiles were actually loose), but the room was clean.

Fresh towels were delivered daily, however they were placed on the edge of the bathtub instead of being hung. A little odd, but whatever.

And the in-room coffee was not replenished with caffeinated packs. De-caf only. The good news is that the free coffee in the lobby was actually very good and fresh, so not a big deal.

The free breakfast buffet was decent and free! No complaints there.

If you are planning on staying in HIawassee on a budget, the Lake Chatuge Lodge is a good bargain!

Two suggestions:

1) Ask for a room with a lake view if you can get it.

2) Make sure you aren't going to be there at the same time as a motorcycle rally! There were a few "un-aware" folks there who did not seem to appreciate the loud motorcycles and very late night carousing. Just saying!

Room Tip: Ask for Lake View!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our staff always enjoys the HOG rally. We do advise everyone that is not with rally that there is a motorcycle rally going on and that there will be activity and noise through their stay. Our housekeepers do a great job keeping the rooms clean, and I will ask why you did not receive and caffeinated coffee. We do keep extra coffee at the front desk and just let them know that you need some. Our upgraded lakeview rooms do offer beautiful views of Lake Chatuge. I apologize if your room smelled musty. We have had record breaking rain this year and a few rooms have been affected by this. Enjoy next year's rally and we look forward to hosting you in 2015.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Last minute decision to go to Georgia state motorcycle hog rally.secured lodging enroute.pleasantly surprised to find a lodge with view from balcony of lake chatuge plus beautiful mountains of Hiawassee Ga. Room was clean and nice.bathroom could use some improvements.friendly staff.evening hours brought smores over blazing fire socializing with fellow riders about days events.

• Stayed September 2013
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We always to love to have your group and hate to see you leave. Everyone is always so pleasant to be around. I am glad that you enjoyed the late night smores and the views from your balcony. Our housekeeping staff works tirelessly to make sure every room is clean. I hope that you enjoy next years rally and we look forward to seeing you the next time you ride through Hiawassee.

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The staff was very nice and helpful. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. It had a microwave and refrigerator and a table and two chairs inside. The deck had a pretty view of the lake. I would stay t

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. Our staff is very inviting and go out of their way to accommodate our guests. The housekeeping staff works very hard to keep their rooms clean. The upgraded lakeview rooms offer terrific views from their private balconies of beautiful Lake Chatuge. I hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in our area.

Lake Park, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I travel to the Lake Chatuge Lodge every year to enjoy the clean and comfortable rooms of this hotel. The Lodge is within walking distance to the Georgia Mountain Fair.(a big plus for us) The hotel has a rustic mountain flare. The breakfast is good , I wish the management would do one simple thing concerning breakfast that would change my rating from "very good" to "excellent".......Open the conference room and place a few tables in there for quests to sit down and eat their breakfast. You do not have enough "table" seating for your guests at breakfast. We notice this every year. Please be smart and make this change. Other than this problem, I was pleased with our stay. I plan to return next year for another enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay. In response to making your stay from good to excellent review, we have breakfast trays to take your food back to your room. We do open up the banquet room to accommodate our overflow from the breakfast area. In this case, it was set up for a meeting and we had to leave the doors shut. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and hope that during your next stay with us, there will be more seating for breakfast. I look forward to meeting you the next time you stay at Lake Chatuge Lodge.

Apex, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I just returned from at 7 day stay at the Lake Chatuge Lodge, which after reading some of the previously posted reviews, I was hesitant to stay at. We had a group of approx 150 adults/children occupying about 100 rooms for the week. Other than a just okay breakfast set up during the week (weekends are better) we all had a great time. The rooms are older but clean and housekeeping did a great job, I was on the third floor in a suite, I never once returned when the room hadn't been cleaned. You might want to check to see if your room has a refrigerator, but if not they are available. I found the staff to be very pleasant and accommodating, they never once appeared annoyed by having a very large group. I found the area to be wonderful and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Let me start by saying your group was wonderful and the cars were a delight to see.
Our housekeeping staff works very hard to make sure the rooms are clean. Our breakfast during the week is a continental breakfast and on the weekends we offer 3-4 hot items as well. I hope that your group will decide to make another trip to Hiawassee next year. We look forward to your return trip.

Katie Stancil

Been to Lake Chatuge Lodge? Share your experiences!