“Great Get Away” 5 of 5 stars

1000 Highway 180, Hiawassee, GA 30546   |
Evans, Georgia
“Great Get Away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is our second trip to Enota from Augusta with our little dog Molly who just loves it here. We stayed in the Bear Cabin again. It has all the accommodations of home for those of us who have passed the age of ground camping, raining coming in the flaps, and sleeping on rocks and roots! Instead I had the smells and feel of an old log cabin, but with a private hot shower, queen size bed, air conditioner (to lower humidity), and a sofa and porch to relax. I noted that a number of repairs had been made to the campgrounds, new wood on picnik tables, the floors in Bear cabin had been stripped and redone, etc. We and the little dog had a grand time walking the creeks, watching the campfire at night while sipping coffee and eating great pastries from the German bakery in Helen. We will be back! And it has Molly's 5 Paw Review.

Room Tip: The Bear cabin is great for two people (1 queen bed) for truly pioneer log-cabin feel but with priva...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Roswell, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We spent 2 nights and 3 days on a family camping trip to Enota. Reserved a RV site and a close by double tent site for six adults and five grandkids (ages 4 to 8). It was great to be "back to nature" - no cell phone, internet or TV service. The first evening the grandkids went to the "farm" and had a blast with the rabbits, chickens, turkeys, pigs, cows, goats and ponies. They even got a chance to try milking a cow! We hiked to both waterfalls on an eco-friendly trail - wide enough for single file line. Interesting to see the old water system near the swimming hole at one of the falls. You had to wonder how they got the tank and pipes up there. The grandkids loved jumping on the trampolines, playing in the streams and roasting marshmellows in the fire pit. They did not miss any of their electronics, never even asked for them. The entire family had a GREAT time and all the grandkids asked to come back soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have visited Enota Moutain Retreat twice with my children. To me, this is one of the most perfect spots on Earth. When you stay at Enota, you are wrapped in peace. You are surrounded by nature, creeks are everywhere and you can stand in a waterfall. Happy children are seen running around and laughing, loving couples are snuggled up on one of the many swings on the property, familes are exploring the area, and many individuals are just sitting in a chair enjoying the sounds of the creeks while reading a book and relaxing. At night, the sounds of the creeks drowns out any other noises and lulls you to sleep. We were just there in the heat of the summer and the temperatures were perfect. It was nice and breezy in the daytime and it was cool in the evening but not too cold. This trip, we were only able to stay at Enota for 30 hours, but they were the 30 best hours of our entire summer. We have many memories that we will be able to carry with us forever. We walked in creeks, built damns, explored trails, played in a waterfall, fed bulls, held chickens, and played until we were too tired to move. I asked my 4 year old what her favorite part of the trip was, she told me that it was the zoo. Enota does not have a zoo (it has a farm) but it has many animals that you are able to feed and hold. So, for less than the price of a trip to a zoo, we were able to have two days of fun and bonding. I watched as my 15 year old son held his 4 year old sisters hand and helped her through the trails. I watched my 13 year old and 8 year old play in harmony together on the playground and I watched all of my children splash and play together in the creek. I highly recommend Enota to everyone that mentions taking a vacation. I look forward to going back again very soon.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My family has been to this campground several times in the past three years and were very disappointed in our recent stay. Most picnic tables around us were completely rotten. On past visits my children have enjoyed the play area, complete with solid play structures and in-ground trampolines. This time, the trampolines had no pads over the springs and several springs were missing - such a hazard! While the grounds themselves are scenic, almost everywhere you look you see serious disrepair - not the quality of experience that you expect from a private facility!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I very much enjoyed our stay. We stayed in a wonderful and clean cabin. There was even a jacuzzi tub in the cabin! We were able to bring our dog and this made us very HAPPY! Everyone was extremely friendly although a little unknowledgeable but understandable considering the staff are all volunteers. We would def come back. Just be prepared for a good hike (the signs don't say how far or steep the trails are) to the waterfalls which are beautiful. My only grievance was the lack of information and the confusing map. I would still highly recommend this resort.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying we were a little scared to go here based on many of the negative reviews. I'm so glad we decided to give it a try. There were some negatives, and I will touch on those, but first the positive. This place is breathtakingly beautiful. Our campsite backed up to a great stream and my kids had so much fun playing in it. The hike to the 200' waterfall was steep but definitely worth the hike. So beautiful! Customer service here was very good. The sweet lady at the front desk was more than willing to answer any questions we had. The farm workers and maintainence man were also very helpful. My kids loved the hayride and the very animated rooster at the farm:). Now...the not so great...I must, unfortunately, agree with some of the other reviews in that the maintainence/upkeep here could certainly be better. The bath house toilets always seemed clean (thank goodness) but the floor most always had dirty standing water which made it very slick. This could easily be solved by placing rubber mats of some sort in the bathroom area. Also, a mat at the entrance of the bathroom would help as opposed to a dirty towel which is the current solution. The trampolines could definitely use some tlc as they are all missing several springs. All in all, these things were not horrible in my opionion but could certainly have been made better. Would they keep me from going again? Absolutely not! It's camping and I don't expect 5 star facilities. Finally, the website is a tad misleading...there are no pony rides or cow milking opportunities. Which was completely fine, I only wish we'd not read the contrary on the website and gotten our kids excited. My advice to management: Make some minor improvements that will majorly change your guests experiences. And give all your sweet employees a pat on the back. They most definitely deserve it.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We have been before and this is where my son requested to come back to on this 12 birthday! Remember, when you were young and you could feel safe and free in the outdoors! It feels like you slipped away to a safe natural world filled with creeks you can play in, a waterfall you can climb under, animals you can touch, gardens you can pick, trails you can climb, trampolines you can jump on, bonfires to tell stories around and so much more! Bring your family, stay in family tenting and make more memories than you can count with your kids! We had an absolutely wonderful time! This place is a true gem! The boys we brought with us said this was the most fun they had ever had in their lives!

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Enota Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!