“First Time, Long Wait, Poor Service, Loud” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 34 Restaurants in Hiawassee
Cuisines: American
Fort Stewart, Georgia, United States
“First Time, Long Wait, Poor Service, Loud”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

It was our first time eating at the Deer Lodge, after many people saying Portions were good, overall good. Even people leaving said it was good. Let me tell you this was the FIRST and ONLY time I will be eating at Deer Lodge. You go up to a podium where there is a number, not really knowing what to do, you just kind of guess you write your name on there? take a number. After waiting from 6:00-7:30 for a table for 2 adults and 2 children. Got in there, stood with infant while waiting for high chair and was told "Oh they might not be no more" Well I sure hope or I just stood outside in the cold with 2 small children for 1 1/2 hrs for nothing! Finally the waitress came back and said "Oh did he get you a high chair? After 10 minutes, CLEARLY I was still standing there holding him" Hostess boy with cut off shirt and shorts found a chair and got it to us. We both opted for the steaks, altho the waitress did not know what the difference between the ribeye and T-bone was other than they sell them both. Salads came, some lettace, bunch of tomatoes and dressing. It was o.k. Food came after another 30 minutes, at this time we was up to 8:15. Waitress kept rolling her eyes at other customers , huffing when people was coming in and being seated and standing there with plates, she was still rolling eyes/ huffing saying this is crazy. You would think if there this busy all the time she would know how busy it would be right? So after 10 minutes of getting our potatoes and steak, no refills and both our teas completely out, the waitress wanted to know if we wanted bread. O.K We got bread, no refills. She then brought out checks and 2 boxes without us asking, I literally had been eating maybe 10 minutes. BUT apparently they close at 9? SO we was being rushed out. I got mad, through my food in the box because I was waiting for tea, no tea cant scarf steak down right? Through food in box, was rushed out the door baskically. Stopped down the road to get soda and finished food when I got home! Top it off after getting to gas station for drink, the little boy at registered ripped us out of 5.00. I wont go back. ON the bright side, food was great had we got to eat it for the price.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Blairsville, Georgia
“Just okay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The portions are huge. Husband had the T bone and I had a seafood platter that consisted of trout, deviled crab in a shell and fried shrimp. The trout was difficult to handle as it was on a small plate for the amount of food included. It was tasty. The shrimp were frozen and the sauces that came with the food were pre packaged. The cocktail sauce had a strange flavor. The deviled crab was mainly breading and overpowering peppers. The server told my husband said the steaks are thick tonight and when it arrived it looked thinner than normal. My husband said it was under seasoned but tender. The best part of the meal were the onion rings. No alcohol service. I don't think we will return.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hiawassee, Georgia
“Cult following...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Deer Lodge opened this weekend for the season. This place has a cult following from FOUR states. I live less than a half mile from the restaurant, so I'm "take out" all season to avoid the wait. Opening weekend is slower, so went tonight. You cannot believe this place. Steak, burger, rangs, fries, and two slaws for $25! The onion rings and fries come on a separate plate, as because of their volume, but wouldn't fit on the platter anyway with steak, due to the sheer monstrosity of the steak. Their menu proudly states "You ordered a steak, you deserve a steak." These folks go through some cows in an average day. Well worth the trip to Hiawassee. Only 12 miles north of Helen, as well, and a beautiful drive over Unicoi Gap.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Georgia
“Good food in casual atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We have Sunday School groups of couples eat here a couple times a year. You will never go away hungry. Largest steaks I have ever seen. You gotta have some of the onion rings. Wait staff is always polite and attentive. The only negative I can think of is it is very crowded inside. But no problem for me. I recommend it.

Greenville, South Carolina
“Different atmosphere and good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Interesting place off the beaten path. Food is plentiful, well prepared and priced right. Hours are a bit quirky but one you know how they seat by number for customers arriving before they open in the evenings, it moves fast enough. Well worth a try but get there early!

• Visited September 2012