“Decent food, big prices, average service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Atlanta, Georgia
“Decent food, big prices, average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed in Hiawassee over Labor Day weekend & were looking for a nice place nearby to eat, instead of driving back over the mountain into Helen. This place looked great: Impressive menu descriptions, packed parking lot and great views. The food was hit or miss, but nothing I couldn't get elsewhere. I had the wedge salad & linguini with mushrooms, grape tomatoes, chicken & a vodka cream sauce. My husband had French Onion soup to start and shell pasta with an alfredo sauce with shrimp. His food was delicious, everything about it. Even my daughter kept asking for another spoonful of his soup. The word I would use for mine dinner is "meh". It wasn't described on the menu as a creamy tomato vodka sauce, but that's exactly what it tasted like. The texture of the chicken was more like pre-grilled strips you can buy at the deli of your local supermarket. The mushrooms were fresh but chopped in rather large pieces. It was hard to tell by looking which was chicken & which was mushroom. My young daughter ordered chicken fingers & fries. I tasted her chicken, it was amazingly bland by kids menu standards.
Service was incredibly slow, neither of us received a refill of the iced tea I was drinking. We asked for a refill of water for my daughter, but that never happened. The meal was so slowly paced, I was just ready to be done. It took 10 minutes and a 2nd server to get my check once I asked for it. It wasn't because they were slammed in the middle of the rush. We finished our meal after 9:30pm.
We'll be back in Hiawassee for another visit. We'll find somewhere else to eat.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Christiansburg, Virginia
“Just Heavenly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Chop House is high atop the hill near the public beach access on Lake Chatuque. The service is excellent. Table cloth, silver wear... But the atmosphere is nothing compared to the food. I have to rank this one of the best meals I have ever had. We had she-crab soup and a special sweet potato soup to begin. Excellent...then salads. They have a lemon-herb dressing that is just wonderful. I am pretty sure the dressings are homemade. YUM. Then next comes the home made warm bread served with infused olive oil. Yum again. We decided to try the surf and turf. Filet Migon and lobster tail....served with your choice of potato and sauteed bok choy. The tastes of the sauces and hints of all the herbs in the foods were marvelous. Not sure who the Chef was the night we ate...but hats off!! The entree's are pricey...but so worth it. 4 grownups and a child...our meal came to $150.00.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best food I've had on a while”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

I had the fried chicken breast, and it literally melted in my mouth. Huge portions ensured lunch the next day too. The gouda mac and cheese was delish. My husband's porkchop was covered on a sumptuous goat cheese, fig and blackberry topping. So good. Service was a little slow , but good food was worth the wait.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Centerville, Georgia
“Average Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My family and I ate at Murphy's Chophouse in Hiawassee, GA. We were definitely not impressed. The prices were very high and the food was only avarage tasting. The service was very slow on a Thursday night and it took a long time to get our food even without a full restaurant. We were definitely ready to leave the restaurant by the time we finished our meal and received the bill. One positive thing I will say about the restaurant is- The views of the mountains and the lake are great.

• Visited July 2012
Florida
“Skip it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Appearances can be deceiving and th Chophouae in Hiawassee is a master. It appears to be very nice but he food and service are basic at best. Our server must have thought she was at Morton's because she was terribly haughty. I had prime rib that was very fatty and the accompanying asparagus was swimming in a liquid I couldn't identify. An appetizer of root beer glazed shrimp was disappointing - I think they out just poured A & W over it because the shrimp was chewy and had no flavor. Compared to the quality of the meal, the prices are much too high. If you're headed here for dinner, reconsider and skip it.