“NO SNACK MACHINE!!!” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
GA
“NO SNACK MACHINE!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

This is a really nice hotel and all, downside being the price. However there were a couple of annoying incidents. The door to the balcony had to be slammed shut but we did not know this so we shut the door and left for the evening. When we came back that night and got ready for bed, I realized there were several of those annoying small miller bug nightime flying thingies around lights and around our bed. It was then I realized the balcony door had to be slammed shut after leaving it open all evening for the bugs to settle in. The hottub was really nice, we had a good time in there. It was very accessible to downtown Helen in a quiet peaceful location. You know sometimes how you get the craving for a midnight snack? Well forget it at this hotel! I walked around and around the hotel with several signs misleading me, guiding me in the wrong direction during my time of late night hunger. Ended up in the corner of the top floor staring at two empty hoses where the vending machine once stood. Sad........

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Greenville, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

We stayed with a group of 30 or so. Did not have a river view, but didn't really care. Loved the covered parking area. The beds were comfortable with several types of pillows so you can choose your firmness.
The front desk man was a real delight! Friendly and helpful. A real joy. SO MANY hotels' front desk staff seem indifferent, like you are bothering them. This guy never EVER seemed annoyed by our many questions. Its great having a free breakfast in a town with overpriced restaurants. An easy walk to a small and very quaint grocery/deli. Don't let the fact that it is a block off main deter you! its a VERY easy stroll to all the main street shops a block away and the small parklike setting at the rear of the property that sits on the river is a LOVELY peaceful getaway in a sometimes hectic town.

• Stayed April 2009
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. Our room was a lovely suite that included a fire place. We were suppose to have a river view but could not see the river. There is an area in the back of the property that has benches and tables for you to sit at. It's not worth the river view upgrade unless you visit in winter. When the trees are in full bloom it resricts the water view. The hotel is close to all of downtown Helen. We parked our car at check-in and never had to use it. You can walk everywhere. In only a few minutes you are right at the main street. Hampton Inn is one of the best locations to stay at and we will stay here in the future.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Clearwater Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

We were in Georgia on a business trip and always stop by the town of Helen for some good times. We had booked a regular room before arriving and found out how reasonable the suites were so we upgraded. We receieved a large, clean room with a view of the windmill in the mountains.

The suite consisted of a nice living room area with fireplace, a comfy bedroom, a HUGE bathroom with jacuzzi tub and a small kitchen area (big enough to eat in with mini fridge and microwave)

We really enjoyed our stay here and slept like rocks. Also got to walk to the main drag and check out the local restaurants and drink some good german beer!

• Liked — The fireplace
  • Disliked — No circulation in the kitchen area
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Woodstock, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

There is no such thing as a bargain in Helen when it comes to overnight stays. I haven't explored the B&B options, but it's worth looking into before forking over $100 for a basic franchise. The Hampton Inn is as high-end as it gets in this town in the way of motel/hotels.

This location was clean and comfortable. Location was not on the main drag but only 2 blocks from main street, an easy walk. Fridge and microwave in room was A+ for families. Complimentary breakfast was hot and well stocked with a variety of continental options. The pool is small, outside and detached from the hotel unit. The WIFI connection was unpredictable but the staff was quick to help resolve any technical issues via a support phone call. I've stayed at nicer Hampton's, but I've had worse too. This falls middle of the road on quality but isn't a value.

As a Hilton HHonors member I asked for an complimentary upgrade to a river-view room (which was barely visible from the balcony due to trees) and was denied. The hotel was less than 50% full, but they were not willing to upgrade for free (I was quote almost $40 extra for a room with a view).

• Liked — Free breakfast, clean, friendly, location
  • Disliked — Price, nothing special/memorable
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

I checked in at 3:40pm and the gentlement checked me in fine, I paid cash for 1 night stay but the next day intstead of my leaving my keys in my room for check out I thought I was doing a nice thing by taking the keys to the front to let them know I was checking out, I told the girl now working the front desk that I paid in cash the night before so there should not be a balance. As I was waiting for the elevator the lady tells me there is a balance and come to find out the gentlemen that checked me in and who worked for this location for 4 yrs didn't charge me the correct taxes. BEWARE!!! if you pay in cash just leave your keys in the room DO NOT check out at the front desk. This was their error and they still made me pay!

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — the incorrect taxes being quoted and the breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Helen last weekend. It was quiet, given its location off main street, and fairly clean. The beds were great and the staff very personable. The hot continental breakfast was perfect for us and our two small children. It was a little pricey ($149.00) but commensurate with the other hotels in-town. I would stay there again. The carpet does need replaced.

• Liked — Location - away from Main Street
  • Disliked — Carpets, price
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn Helen? Share your experiences!