“Good Pub Food and View” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
Columbus, GA
“Good Pub Food and View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

A simple, but adequate food menu with a satisfactory beer menu. The view of the river is nice and its a good stop to get off of the main strip. The menu is mostly pub styled food, but was served with good portions and made quickly. Worth a stop.

Visited January 2013

46% Recommend
Dahlonega, Georgia
“Overpriced Food and Crappy Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This location holds so much potential, but after several visits we've finally decided we're never going back.

First, the food here is so overpriced, it's ridiculous. The one that jumped out at me on the menu was $17 for chicken tenders, seriously! I settled on a burger and my boyfriend got the reuben. My burger was OK, but definitely nothing special. The reuben was pitiful. It barely had any meat on it, and he had to pry it apart to even put the dressing on it creating a huge mess as you can imagine with a sandwich that has sauerkraut.

I think the worst part was the service. We sat at the bar, and the bartender seemed far more concerned with talking to other waiters and waitresses than actually serving customers. He failed to ask how I wanted my burger cooked, so I ended up with an overcooked burger. Should I have remembered to tell him? Sure, but generally you are asked when you order something made from red meat. My boyfriend only ate half his sandwich and none of the canned German potato salad that came on the side, so the bartender asked if he wanted a box. My boyfriend said no, and told them that it was awful and didn't want it. Instead of apologizing, the bartender just stared at him and then turned and walked away without a word. Not one single word. A simple "I'm sorry you didn't like it." would've sufficed, but we got nothing. That cost him a huge percentage of his tip. Sorry, dude. Maybe the service is better if you sit at a table, but a good restaurant has consistent service across the board - especially one that is this overpriced.

Don't bother with this place. Your money will be much better spent somewhere else in Helen.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dahlonega, GA
“Worst sandwich in recent memory”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I'm a local in the area, and I usually avoid the Troll - while my general experience was that their food was so-so, the prices they charged just weren't worth it. After my experience last weekend, I won't make the mistake of darkening their doorway ever again. I ordered a reuben sandwich (at $11 - a bit pricey). The bread was soggy, the corned beef tasted like it came out of a microwaved pouch, and the thousand island dressing came "on the side" in a little plastic container. It was also immediately obvious that the German potato salad came out of a can, and was probably re-heated in the same microwave as the corned beef. For $11? No thank you.

After choking down a little less than half of this pathetic excuse for a sandwich, the bartender asks if I want a to-go box. "No thanks," I say, "that was the worst sandwich I've ever tasted". I told him why, his only response was to say, "Oh". He removed the plate from in front of me and that was the end of it. He never asked if I'd like something else, or offer to take a few bucks off the bill.

I try not to be one of those hard-to-please restaurant patrons. I understand first-hand how hard most people who earn their livings in restaurants have to work. That being said, it was obvious that whoever made my meal was completely phoning it in.

If you're in Helen, try Cafe International (not cheap either but the food is well worth it, and the staff is genuine and friendly). It's right across the river from the Troll.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Douglasville, Georgia
“Great Experience...OK food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I love the location! It's right on the river! The food was just ok! I wish I could say more about it but it was an overpriced hamburger that was mediocre. The service was great!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hartselle, Alabama
“Great food and cool location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Under the bridge and by the river is a great location. I had the Reuben. My husband had the wings. It's a great place for lunch. Sit outside. A we got several pitchers of beer. Ngreat sandwiches.

• Visited December 2012