“Roaches” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Helen
Canton, Georgia, United States
“Roaches”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My fiance and our long time fiend with there on October 20th 2012, for Octoberfest...We were kind of on the edge for the first 20mins that we were there so we left the lights on b.c one of our fiends knew said, thats what you do, if you "think", that roaches are in the hotel it was very old. We also found some1s sweater from another visit that we dont know, and the bathroom was all screwed up, there was a piece of sheet rock dividing us from the other room and the towel rack was not in place and broken, the toilet took at least 10mins to fill up after a pee to be able to flush again. There was blood splatter on the ceiling by the water sprinkler system that idk if it even worked. This was 15mins of being in the hotel. We went out until 1pm and when we came back, our friend was lying on what was supposed to be his bed, and we were talking, and we saw ROACHES crawling up the wall with the lights on...and they have been on for 5hrs since mind you....So we went to the desk to tell them we wanted our money back and that we were leaving...the women didnt act surprised about the roaches, she just told us she couldn't do anything about it, and so we left and now our friend is out of $275.00. My advice to you, is to find another place and dont stay here even if you cant go home!!! Sleep in your car!!! Its cleaner and safer!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Macon, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Yes we went during Oktoberfest. It wasn't overcrowded and the hotel was a distance away from the festival. We enjoyed the walking. We arrived at the hotel on friday at night and was given a handicap room which I didn't request online. Our first stay was fine with no problems. We had to request the our room be cleaned the next day (they mentioned that they don't enter the rooms unless someone is in there, so they aren't accused if something comes up missing). We understood that completely. Housekeeping changed the sheet but not the fitted sheet. We questioned that and said that they change them after we have check-out. The following Sunday when we checked out, I noticed several bite marks on my left upper arm. Didn't cross my mind that it could have been something else. Needless to say my friend didn't have any bite marks on him. Got home later that afternoon and my arms started to itch. I then noticed that I had other bites on my arms, back, neck and shoulder that wouldn't stop itching. Showed several of my friends and co-workers and they all said it was bed bug bites. Call my doctor and he told me what I needed to go get from the pharmacy. I contacted the website www.choicehotels.com that I placed my visit with. They told me that it was a franchise hotel business and they would contact them and find out what they were going to do to resolve it. So I went ahead and called the hotel myself. The housekeeper answered the phone and said she would contact her boss and call me back. Never got a call back. I called the hotel again and she said that they checked the room and there was no bed bugs in the room. I told her I had pictures and I had talked to my doctor and he had confirmed it. I then also told her that our first night we had no problems but when they came in to change the sheet, the sheet must had been infected. Of course, the hotel gave me the room around and wouldn't REFUND me my money. Needless to say, choice hotels contacted me with a letter explaining that they wasn't over the hotel but they was investigating it. Never heard anything else back from either of them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cartersville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The lodging in Helen is very hit-or-miss. This is an almost hit. The motel is a tad far for walking, and a bit off the beaten path. The staff is very friendly and helpful - even offered to carry bags to the room for me. They welcomed my two small dogs, and had to meet them and admire them. (I have a Shetland Sheepdog - kind of like a miniature collie, who is a real looker.) The room was reasonably clean and the decor was nice. There were a couple of spots of mold in the bathroom, and the tile and light fixture needed replacement. Otherwise, the room was nice and very clean. The television reception is awful - even with cable or satellite. This is the same at all other places I've stayed at in Helen, though. I was pleasantly surprised to see they have added a hospitality tv channel like larger resorts. The continental breakfast area was literally the small lobby, which contained a cabinet with a bar sink, a serving table, and a small table and chairs for diners. On the morning we were there, there was nothing offered but coffee. The pet fees were very reasonable ($11.50 per dog).

Room Tip: There are a couple of restaurants within a few minutes walk - one is an excellent barbeque place, an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

First thing, pictures on website are deceiving. Do not go during Octoberfest, it's overpriced for what you get. We weren't told about any kind of breakfast available. Room wreaked of cigarette smoke (said was a no smoking room). Beds sagged in the middle (both beds). Everything needs to be updated. Old TV. Cable sucked. Had no hair dry. Had a coffee maker but no coffee or cups. Never received new towels. Exposed holes in walls where plumbing is. Soap crumbled into a million pieces. Would have been better off camping. Would never stay here again or recommend to anyone else .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Marion, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I brought a collegiate soccer team through Helen and we needed a great price place to stay and we found it! We got in very late after a big Oktoberfest weekend but they still were able to get rooms ready for us. Needed a few little things done but they were quick to take care of everything we needed. Steve and Amy will take care of you to the best of their ability. Steve knows great places to eat also!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
tampa, fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife & I stayed here one night during the begining of Octoberfest. We weren't there to attend the event because our plan was to spend 4 days on the Appalachian Trail. Steve & Amy were extremely helpful in making our trip pleasent. I was worried about leaving my car on the side of the road for the hike and that's when Steve offered to drop us off & pick us up. He even brought us cheese-burgers from town when he picked us up! The room we stayed in had been updated with granite counter tops, all new tile in the bath room & fresh coat of paint. Steve has been busy with building/room maintanance and it shows in the rooms he has completed. Both Steve & Amy were very friendly & hospitable. I would stay there again just to see their progress. Steve said it best on our check in, "We're not a 5 start hotel, but our service is." My rating is 4, 5 for the great service & 3 for the room. Hope this review helps.

Room Tip: Great place to stay if your going to hike the trail.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Harvest, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

From reading some of the older reviews I'm glad to report that things are better now.My sister and I wanted to get away for a short inexpensive trip.We picked Helen because she had been there and I hadn't.She wanted me to experience this quaint little town.Because she has a dog we had to stay at a pet friendly place.My sister booked our rooms over the phone and was very pleased with the new managers Steve and Amy. When we arrived they greeted us in a very pleasing manner and were glad to give us a room(one was available) on the bottom floor so that my sister could walk her dog more easily.The rooms are undergoing renovations and our room was fine.Very clean,NO BUGS and everything worked.We really enjoyed having a small fridge in the room for our drinks.Like SavannaBill said, Steve and Amy are working their butts off to make this place more appealing.The location is great.We fell in love with this sweet couple and their kids and plan on coming back to stay. Give this place a chance.As long as the owners keep these great managers I think it will only get better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family