“Planing another Mother's Day with my son” 5 of 5 stars

Castle Inn
8580 Main St, PO Box 258, Helen, GA 30545   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Helen B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Planing another Mother's Day with my son”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Last year on Mother's Day weekend ... My Son and I went to Helen, GA and stayed in the Castle Inn. I am planing another trip this year because we enjoyed it so much. I actually felt secure and safer in the Inn than I have in any other Hotel I have stayed at, and The decorations and furniture were awesome. I slept very well and it was in the middle of the town so we just walked to most place to eat, drink, and shop. Looking forward to it again this year.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Augusta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

What a great stay, just got back from Helen, well a week ago. But we had such a great time at the inn. We lucked out and got a balcony room that overlooked the entire street. Just a pleasant overall stay with no issues what so ever. Id recommend to all my friends that we will continue to stay there.

Room Tip: Street side!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

The lady who we dealt with on the phone was vey nice and she helped us choose which room would best suit our needs. We ended up staying in the suite (room 200). It was vey nice and clean (you could even smell the clean). Once we discovered the balcony, that's pretty much where we stayed. The view of the town and river was awesome! Flat screen TV, queen bed, sleeper sofa, and full kitchen. It was a blast. We will be back soon!

• Stayed March 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed in room #210 (you choose which room you want when you reserve). While the location was great, the place overall was a disappointment. I'm going to write a bulleted list of my review because it just seems to work better here.

Pros:
- Nice TV
- The vanity in the bathroom was really neat! It wasn't maintained well, but it was like an old antique vanity. With a little attention it would be gorgeous!
- Great balcony with a street view

Cons:
- Check-in is off the premises at another location entirely, so it is rather inconvenient.
- Because of that, there is no staff available if you need anything such as extra towels.
- The owner will not release the password for the Wi-Fi despite the management company requesting repeatedly, so no internet access.
- A musty odor greeted us at the door every time we came in.
- The floors were dirty and the carpet was outdated.
- There were stains on the walls, and drip marks where some sort of liquid had hit and never been cleaned. This wasn't just at one location, but several.
- The bathroom did not feel clean.
- The floor of the shower was sticky and looked black.
- The sliding glass door is very rickety. It was unlocked when we arrived.
- Not the greatest quality of mattress/bed.
- Loud A/C unit
- Not well insulated, so street noise is very loud.
- Thin bedspread, no additional blanket on the bed, and no extra blankets in the room
- Two towels, two washcloths, and a hand towel. Period. No access to extras, and a nice "love note" on the wall threatening to charge extra if you stain the towels with makeup.
- No refrigerator. No microwave. No elevator. Twenty stairs if you come in the front entrance. Forty stairs if you come in from the parking lot entrance. Definitely NOT handicap accessible.

It is really a shame that this place is not better kept because it has a prime location and the outside of the building is really neat. However, I would not choose to stay here again unless it underwent an overhaul in cleanliness, decoration, and management.

Room Tip: If the other rooms are anything like this one, I would not recommend staying here. However, if you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CastleInnHelen, Owner at Castle Inn, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review. I wanted to reach out an personally respond to your review regarding your experience with The Castle Inn in December 2012.

The Castle Inn was formerly in a contract with a local vacation rental company, who managed the hotel for us. We have since cancelled this contract and taken operations back on hand personally.

We opened an office downstairs in The Shoppes at Castle Inn where staff is on hand to assist you. We apologize for the experience you had. We have recently changed housekeeping staff and added a manager who does spot inspections prior to any room rental. We also invested in upgrades to the bedding, towels, and decor.

We want you to know that we took your comments to heart and made some changes and upgrades based on your experience. Thank you for your stay and we hope you will give us another chance in the future to make you happy.
Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I love staying here an getting a room with a balcony that overlooks main street. I can sit there for hours an just watch every thing that's going on on the street below. The only complaints I have with the room is there is no refrigerator or microwave. Besides that every time I have stayed there the room has been clean. There is no elevator up to the room. That doesn't bother me because I can always use the exercise. I like being able to park there the first day an my car isn't moved until its time to go home. From that location you can walk every where. The Castle Inn is my favorite place to stay in Helen,GA.

• Stayed December 2011
north carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I made the reservation and was never told the check in was at a different place. I tried to contact them for over a week by leaving a voicemail and email several times. That should have been my first clue. I never received my confirmation as I was told. The location is excellent and the balcony view was awesome. The sliding door doesnt slide. My husband had to close it and smashed his fingers several times. The bathtub has black on the bottom of it. The carpet had several large stains. We only got one tiny bar of soap for bath and sink. After paying $120.00 night, the had the nerve to put a sign up in the bathroom saying if you removed your makeup with their washcloth and it stained, you would be charged extra. The ice machine in the hall never had any ice, just cold water. The mattress sunk in the middle. The balcony hasnt been cleaned in probably never. It had so many webs and dead bugs all over, it was disgusting. I also found trash on the floor underneath the desk. When we complained at checkout and showed the girl pictures we took of the room, she just stared at us and didnt say hardly anything. It is ashame the rental company doesnt keep up the repairs and housekeeping. It is a great location and could be a really nice place. I would be curious what the property owners think of a rental company running their hotel into the ground. They way overcharge for room. I expect more than that for that price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
CastleInnHelen, Owner at Castle Inn, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your review and thoughts. We were formerly in a contract with a local vacation rental company to handle the rental of The Castle Inn rooms. We have since (December 2012) cancelled that contract and taken operations back in hand personally.

Based on your feedback we have made some changes and upgrades. There is now a management office on site, downstairs in The Shoppes at Castle Inn. We have also made upgrades to the towels, bedding, decor, and other amenities.

We appreciate and value all feedback, even the negative, as it gives us insight on the things we need to do to improve. We sincerely hope on your next trip to Helen, you give us another chance.
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

The room was fine - it was clean and nice. Not luxury, but we weren't expecting it. The thing that makes me ding them is that the sliding glass door to the patio wouldn't lock. No Stick to put in the track as a backup either. I called immediately and no one came out to fix or even call me back. I was there alone with 2 kids so wasn't too happy. The rooms are on the 2nd floor off the street - but I wasn't happy about it. It's right in the middle of the action - if you're a light sleeper this is not the hotel for you. On the plus side it's right in the middle of the action - everything is walkable easily. It's on the river. But there are no common areas, the check-in is literally down the street at a vacation rental place. The chain hotels in town looked very nice from the outside - I would definitely try one of them next time!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Castle Inn? Share your experiences!