“Never again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Maison LaVigne

You added Maison LaVigne to your Saves list
Maison LaVigne
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   3532 South Fulton Avenue, Hapeville, GA 30354   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hapeville B&B and Inns
Silver Creek, Georgia
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just after arrival, as we were going into the room, Eileen blurts out "Hey, you're not going to want a big breakfast in the morning, are you? I HATE cooking big breakfasts on Sunday. The last people expected a huge breakfast. And they wanted it early, too..." The fancy toilet had a different way of flushing-we weren't shown how. Anyway, it kept running water and I couldn't flush it again. I was going to try to lift the top to repair it but it was different and I was afraid I would break it. I told Eileen who promptly launched into being angry and scolding me for us doing it wrong. Perhaps she could have shown us the proper operation of the toilet instead of griping about previous guests demanding a big breakfast?

We felt like we were imposing in Her personal space so we went to see what shopping was nearby. We were leaving and she opened the door and yelled out "LOCK THE DOOR! That's what you have a key for!". Scolded again...

After we returned, being a smoker, I went out back by the pool. Eileen was washing the dirty breakfast dishes Used by guests that left earlier in the day. Checkout is 1100. Check in is after 3. We arrived at about 4pm. It was now about 9pm. As I came in, she explained the tricky door and to pull the knob, etc. when I came in, she was standing there cleaning the kitchen and I locked the door as she showed me, giving it a strong tug. It seemed locked. She even nodded like I did it correctly. I went on to the room. I heard her loud, yelling.."Ma'am, ma'am-you didn't lock the door!" She scolded me yet again. And she told me i coukdnt go out that door again. if i went back out to smoke-it would have to be on the front porch. By this time, I actually said "we apparently can't do ANYTHING right-or that's how it seems". I went to my room frustrated at myself for not leaving after the toilet scolding.

The morning after, she was more pleasant. She had talked about other guests requesting breakfast at a certain time and her going to the trouble to be on time while they would be late-inconveniencing HER. We were exactly on time. We sat at the table and watched her make fruit salads-taking berries out of the plastic store package without washing them. She would scratch at herself, put her hands in her hair and go back to preparing food without washing her hands. I am all for being comfortable but she was wearing the same navy sundress/nightgown looking thing she had on when we arrived-one of the straps was torn and coming apart at the seam. Braless... She cooked eggs Benedict. Something simple, of course we didn't want to put her out. Her mood and attitude, even the tone of her voice was much nicer in the morning. I couldn't help thinking it might be related to time for her to get my card for payment.

As far as cleanliness? No! There were spiderweb tendrils dangling from the ceiling in most places-more apparent due to the dark colored walls. There was dust coating everything. The wall in the bathroom that the robes hung over had some sort of shiny goo reflecting. Needless to say I didn't want to wear the robe hanging against the goo. The "complimentary toiletries" were half empty, having been used. No, I don't care to use other people's items... No toiletries to keep from the $169.00 stay.

In the morning I found a water pitcher behind the TV. I had been terribly thirsty all night but Eileen never offered beverages or anything when we arrived. With her making me feel like we kept messing up and imposing on her, I felt very unwelcome.

All of the garden is overgrown, almost completely covering the walkway. Wrought iron furniture was overgrown with weeds, the walkway bricks overgrown. If I find a way to post pictures of the overgrown garden, dust hanging from ceilings and general covering of dust, I will.

I was trying to make conversation while she prepared breakfast and asked about the house being old. She burst that image bubble by telling me she added all of the touches to make it appear old. She had the tower/window added to the roof and made a lot of changes to the house-she went into a lot of debt at age 52 spending money on the house.

Oh, as if she didn't bad-mouth other guests enough (I can only imagine what she had to say about us to the next guest)...she talked about the guests who booked several nights and an $80.00 cooking lesson but spent their money at the Scott Antique Market so they had to cut the trip short and cancel the cooking lesson. And they didn't even leave her a tip!!

I was very, very disappointed. My experience there was NOTHING like the reviews I'd read before booking there. Maybe she was depressed or tired or something. I don't know. I just know we will never go back. Overpriced, dirty, NOT a pleasant stay...

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Swansboro, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for an Anniversary Weekend. We arrived on time, but Eileen decided to walk her dog as we waited on the porch, unable to get in. Once we got in, we settled in our room ( which was very cute and clean ). Problem #1: Her dog roams freely, everywhere. He jumped on our lap during breakfast, everyday. He is in the kitchen while preparing our food. He barks at 5am and any other time he wishes. #2: The breakfast was sub par, not "Paris Trained" Chef food. The "scones" were ( and she admitted this ) Pillsbury in a can biscuits. All her jams were from a jar, her soup was taken from her restaurant down the street. Afternoon tea was good, but again, all from a jar and pre-packed. #3: She decided to blast Opera music at 7 am while she was working in the kitchen, waking us up. #4: She joined us for breakfast, eating and "sharing" the food she prepared for us, everyday, which I found very unprofessional. I am a professional Chef, and my wife and I have stayed in fine B & B's all over. My suggestion to Eileen is to let people know in advance, about the freedom of her pets, especially in areas where she prepares food. Also, don't join the guests for breakfasts; or at least ask first. Don't promote being an accomplished Chef and then TELL your guests everything comes from a jar, a can, or pre-prepared from a restaurant down the street. My wife and I were the only guests in the house for our stay, so we believe Eileen "took a break" from her busy schedule and put us on the back burner, prepared poor quality food, and dropped all professional graces. Very disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We Stayed here as a quick getaway.
We enjoyed the food and the owner very much.
The room was SUPER clean and very updated.
Would have enjoyed our sleep better if the room was a little colder at night but we were okay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Savannah Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Checked in Thursday 8/22/13 for 3 nights and found it to be a marvelous little inn. The owner Eileen is friendly and extremely helpful. Her gourmet cafe down the street could be set down in a small French village & the French would feel right at home. Our room was comfortable, the breakfast was "yummy" and all in all it was a GREAT find.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

A six day stay is long enough to know pretty much everything about a B&B. And we have to say, everything at Maison Lavigne over our six days was wonderful plus. The house is charming, it's location is great for us (fifteen minutes from downtown; ten to the airport). The breakfasts are plentiful and delicious, and,given that the owner is n accomplished chef, the ingredients are all fresh and the dishes are imaginative. But it is much more than that. Eileen is an expert at pampering you and making you feel special while at the same time giving you as much privacy as you would like.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Everything from the beautiful room to breakfast was wonderful! Bed sheet are the nicest most comfortable I've ever slept on and I've stayed in plenty of nice places but I would go back here just to sleep on those sheets! Breakfast was so good! Eilleen is a fabulous cook! My husband and I loved this place and will definately be back soon!

• Stayed June 2013
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I booked Maison LaVigne for a long weekend and didn't want to leave. We stayed in The Provence suite. Between the stained glass windows, claw foot tub and authentic furnishings, we truly felt like we were in Europe. Visiting Eileen was like visiting your favorite Aunt who happens to be a gourmet chef! Eileen brought us breakfast in bed both mornings. Everything was prepared fresh and the homemade jam was awesome! The bed was so comfortable, it was hard to get up every morning. Mac and Mr. Kitty were always around to greet us with a meow or a wag of a tail. Next time we stay we want to either take a cooking class or have Eileen's high tea. This was not just a place to stay in Atlanta, it was a memory maker!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Maison LaVigne? Share your experiences!