“A great find!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A great find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

After living n Spain for 6 months, I was really missing home. I had seen a few episodes of Doctor Mateo (Spanish version of Doc Martin) and decided Lastres would be the perfect place to spend a few days as it looked exactly like Cornwall where I spent every summer when I was a kid. I arrived to the hotel during their Sunday dinner service but, despite being busy, they provided fantastic service to me as a hotel guest and checked me in quickly. The man was very nice and despite having cooking to get back to showed me around and made sure I was ok and knew where everything was. The room was spotless, comfortable and just perfect really! The internet connection isn't great in the hotel. the only place I could connect was in reception and the TV kept losing reception, but that is to be expected in a village I guess. That evening I had issues finding somewhere to eat. In fact, I didn't. The restaurant at the hotel wasn't open, many others were on descanso, and the others didn't serve food I enjoy. I don't like seafood and whilst all of them served meat, most only served goat and veal - an odd choice, but each to their own. The next day I got delicious patatas cabrales from a restaurant on the road to the port. The next morning I also went for breakfast at Casa Eutimio to make up for the lack of dinner. It was €10 and to be honest I wasn't sure what to expect. It was amazing! I was given rolls, a croissant, bizcocho, yoghurt, homemade pancakes and a selection of fruit. There was so much food I couldn't get through it all! My only negative would be that I don't think they get many foreign tourists in Lastres. Other than the people who worked in Casa Eutimio who were very friendly and welcoming, I found the locals to be rather rude and hostile. However, this is not a negative on the part of the hotel which I wold say is faultless. It was the perfect place to spend a few days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

we chanced on Lastres on a driving/hiking trip from the Pyrenees to Porto and had such a great time we stayed an extra day. The location is superb, the local seafood a sensation, access to Pica de Europa easy, beaches nearby a real surprise (I was body surfing in September!) and the hotel rooms quirky, generous and comfortable. Our room (and the hotel) was somewhere between gothic and period romantic - a sitting room and bedroom, gorgeous bathroom and extensive balcony with cliff-top views across the bay was wonderful. The dining very enjoyable (esp the local sardines combined with copious Carva:) and the hosts (we were looked after by the matriarch, son and daughter) very helpful and friendly. Just a great place that deserves to succeed - well done and thanks!! Tony & Maria, Perth Australia.

Room Tip: The rooms with a sitting room and bedroom are a treat
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is a find. Spotlessly clean, with great food and excellent and friendly service, it was a delight to find that this kind of hotel still exists. It's furnished with plenty of dark wood furniture, ceramics and pictures, which may not be to everyone's taste, but it's a real curiosity! Somewhere to unwind.

Room Tip: We had room 102, with an outdoor terrance, small sitting room, loads of space for bags and a good-si...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Deal, KENT.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

‘THE GOOD’ Is the hotel and the way we were welcomed. ‘THE BAD’ Is the after effect my wife suffered from an unannounced additional ingredient to, of all things, a salad on our first meal on the very first night of our holiday. ‘THE UGLY’ Is the continued discomfort and inconvenience that this situation caused through the course of our holiday and the total lack of responsibility and understanding adopted by the hotel. The outcome absolutely ruined a £2500.00+ holiday.

Our introduction to Casa Eutimio was 1996/97 when we were free wheeling around N.W. Spain with our goal being Santiago de Compostella. We had approached Compostella from inland and we were leaving via the coast. I had studied the route we would take back to Bilbao using my ‘Rough Guide’ and I was attracted to Lastres where I booked pension Miramar for 2 nights requesting a sea view room. Checking into the pension which was situated on the edge of a small cliff we were offered a large but basic top room with triple aspect, uninterrupted views of land and sea, the only downside being a shared bathroom and toilet facilities. From one of the windows of our room we could see Casa Eutimio across the street and decided to check it out. We were met by the proprietor and his wife, a delightful couple who spoke no English but this problem was overcome by their daughter, a 14/15 years old schoolgirl who did. We were shown room 102, a nice double room with en-suite facilities and access to the terrace. After one night we checked out of the pension and into the Eutimio for 2 nights. Although I cannot remember everything we had for our meal that first evening the main course of baby lamb chops (enough for 3 people) served up on a s/s platter along with another platter of fresh chips accompanied with wine and water has remained in my memory as one of the most pleasant and relaxing meals ever. We both promised ourselves that one day we would return.

Our return visit came about in May,2010 when we decided to tour Cantabria and Asturias. We booked Brittany Ferries Portsmouth/Santander and allowed ourselves seven nights checking in at four hotels 3X2 nts.+ 1 nt. Our first stop was Casa Eutimio 86 miles to the west of Santander. It is an independent hotel and appears to only accept bookings direct, no agents. We booked direct using Internet and phone. When we arrived we were graciously met by the daughter of the house who told us we had been upgraded to a suite at no extra cost. The suite consisted of a comfortable lounge with seating and small tables and also had a fridge. The bedroom was also large with a comfortable bed, additional seating, plenty of clothes hanging space and access onto the terrace. The en-suite bathroom was spacious but the colour scheme a bit garish, designed by Gaudi perhaps, but practical. The pension Miramar we had stayed in previously is now closed and undergoing development, if they are to be flats they will have magnificent views. Parking is a huge problem in the town, the hotel has none to speak of and what little there is seems to be occupied by family, the streets are narrow with very limited areas to park and they are snapped up by the locals, however we managed. We easily settled in and explored the harbour, the local shops and the bars, not much had changed in the years. We had worked up an appetite and were looking forward to our evening meal.

Before travelling I had tracked reviews for Casa Eutimio and whilst there was little to learn about the accommodation, the reviews about the restaurant were very good regarding popularity, quality and selection. It was, therefore, with some disappointment to approach the restaurant and find only one other table occupied. We were seated at the next table to them and soon we were all introduced. They were a couple from Santa Barbara, California and they were doing pretty much the same thing as us, hotel hopping. They were not guests of the hotel, they had called in on speck and were staying 10/12 miles along the coast. Without them it would have been a less interesting meal. We had decided on the two course set menu. There were only two choices of each course, my wife ordered the prawn salad and I ordered the fish soup for starters and we both ordered the venison for our main. Everything was presented well, my fish soup was excellent but the venison was sinewy and chewy. Normally, I am sure, I would have complained because it wasn’t a cheap meal but the interesting dialogue we were having with our American neighbours took precedence and time just flew. Dinner is served quite late and it was after 23.00hrs when we returned to our room. At 02.00hrs my wife awoke with terrible stomach cramps and was soon vomiting and everything else that goes with it. She was in a very bad way, the symptoms she recognised as an allergy and suspected having eaten shell fish and couldn’t understand how. I must explain that whilst my wife can enjoy crustaceans, lobster, crab, crayfish, prawns etc. she suffers an extreme allergic reaction to bi-valve shell fish. Next morning we were served an excellent breakfast by the old man but my wife could not face anything substantial and what she took went straight through her, it was useless relating our problem to the old man as he still did not speak English and my Spanish is not sophisticated enough. I wanted my wife to visit with a doctor but having bought some medicine from the chemist she felt she might be better the next day. It was about 11.30hrs that morning when I was passing through reception and the two sons and the daughter were pouring over the computer. I approached them and explained my wife’s illness but it fell on deaf ears and was treated flippantly. Rafa, the son who had served us the evening before did all the talking but his attitude was dismissive. At first any knowledge of shell fish was denied until Rafa referred to the clam sauce they put on salads as a dressing saying it was a local speciality and everybody liked it. They would not accept the fact that people liked it because they knew what it was, people who did not like it for whatever reason and knew what it was left it alone, first you needed to know it was there and what it contained. There was an arrogance about their attitude that denied anything was wrong. There was nothing I could do without causing a scene, I could not turn the clock back and after the hospitality we had been shown, regarding the upgraded accommodation, I did not want to create any ill feeling but they were still treating the situation lightly with no sense or sympathy to the discomfort it was causing. I told them I was a subscriber to Trip Adviser and would be reviewing our experience and the response was good there is no such thing as bad publicity.

We were leaving the following morning for our next stop at Hotel Prendis, Cudillero, 56 miles further west and I was concerned how my wife could manage the drive, she hadn’t been more than 30 yards from a loo since the allergic reaction. My conclusions of the hotel are the location is very good, our room was excellent but I cannot speak for the smaller rooms, the breakfasts served by the old man were faultless. The evening meal was a disaster and if I was reviewing it, it would receive low points. From our experience of the restaurant as it is now I must question the validity of the reviews I read. There are other restaurants in the town. Two very good ones with average prices are on the harbour. We will not be returning to the Casa Eutimio or Lastres but my original memory of when the old man was in charge remains untarnished.

It took my wife best part of three weeks to recover from this allergic reaction and on our return home I sent an email to Casa Eutimio describing what a disaster the clam sauce had caused to our holiday. The daughter replied and expressed extreme apologies for the inconvenience. The first and only sympathetic acknowledgement.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

We were driving through Northern Spain and planning to spend the night in Gijon - but it was way to busy and urban. We drove on until we came to a sign for Lastres and decided to give it a try. We stumbled on this small hotel and absolutely loved it.

The rooms were fairly small but very clean, lovely bathrooms and fantastic views of the water. Each of our rooms had a charming little patio area which also overlooked the water.

Breakfast was very good, as was the service. No one spoke any English and we do not speak Spanish but it was not a problem. The people running the hotel are so hospitable and friendly.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family

Been to Casa Eutimio? Share your experiences!