“anniversary weekend” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta,Ga
“anniversary weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

A special anniversary weekend. This was our third trip to this hotel. Club level worth every penny. Hotel is in a beautiful setting right on Lake Oconee. Amazing Pool, spa service was top notch. The only reget was leaving. Not sure what the complaints are about. We will return soon I hope.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

487 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010 via mobile

As I write this, I am currently still at the hotel. After reading many reviews, thought this would be a great stop before several days at the beach at Kiawah island. What a great disappointment! The morning of our departure we received a call at our house from someone in reservations who told me she was calling to offer me a room upgrade. I enthusiastically told her "thanks- that would be great !". She then explained that no, she was not GIVING me an upgrade, but offering me one for an extra $50 a night. Told her to forget it, we would stick with our reserved room. Because we were driving from Cleveland and got a late start, arrives at the Ritz at almost 2:00. Had called several times along the way to tell them of our arrival time. The response was nothing more than "we'll put it in the system ". When we checked in we were given. Room with two double beds instead of the king and rollaway we reserved and confirmed. After arriving, took a shower in the TINY shower that others have described on their reviews only to find the shower wall covered in long hair - GROSS! Seeing it was now almost 3:00am, decided to just deal with it on the morning. When daylight came, my husband and 10yr old son when out on the balcony only to find the table and floor covered in toenail clippings. Also several cobwebs in the corners and tattered towels and robes inthe bathroom. Went down to the front desk to asked to be moved and all the desk clerk could say was " eeewww" --- yeah - that was my response to toenail clippings and a shower full of hair at a five star hotel, but I expected a more professional response from the staff. She said she would ask for the room to be cleaned again. After 3 attempts to get the toenails removed, she said to me " well I've called them 3 times, I'm sure they'll clean it". It was finally taken care of after 3 tries.
The grounds are beautiful, but dirty when you look closely. Lunch at Gaby's was way overpriced and the outdoor tables and chairs are filthy. Service is horrible to say the least. This is NOT Ritz Carlton service. One of the Valera, an older gentelman in a old fashioned golf "costume" was actually smoking at the bell stand outside. I could go on and on with issues...
There was a discussion at the evening s'mores event between a guest and staff regarding this hotel changing to something else and that it will no longer be a Ritz. All the staff would say was that they just got a new general manager and the staff was staying - that may explain many issues. Anyway, we are cutting our stay short and heading up to the Sanctuary at Kiawah early. All in all, pretty setting, horrible customer service, no " what can we do to make the problem right" attitude and nothing to do here unless you golf. It is really in the middle of nowhere with no place to go unless you want to drive 45 minutes to little old towns. Leaving early and will never come
back!

• Stayed August 2010
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

If you ever want to experience what hospitality really means, try this! We stayed there for a 3-day meeting, and everything felt special. I got the sense that every single person in their staff was told to make any experience more special than expected. They would read the wishes from your lips, and they would not disappoint you - they'd deliver. The food was so stunning, and the conference breaks were the best I've ever seen. We were taken care of in a way that I've not experienced before. I did not need an additional person on site to help me organize, it was all taken over by the hotel staff perfectly. Great hotel also for a nice weekend stay - unbeatable location.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
McDonough, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

This was our second visit to the Ritz. This time we brought along our 13 year son and his friend.

The Plus's- Beautiful surroundings, on the lake and nice upkept grounds
Friendly and helpful staff- especially the club level.
Places to eat if you don't want to eat on the plantation.
Beautiful infinity pool that overlooks the lake.
Bonfire smores every night.
Caleb was great when we rented a ski boat! Was very patient while my son learned to ski.

The Minus's- Very expensive on everything, but it is the Ritz.

Is very romantic for couples but also geared towards families also! Would definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I traveled to the Atlanta area to do site visits for an upcoming meeting. I decided to stay at the Ritz, because the pictures on-line were beautiful and I wanted to be on that lake!

I am not sorry at all, that I choose to stay at Ritz Reynolds. Opening my drapes every morning, or sitting on the balcony every evening and looking at the lake, was beautiful and so relaxing! Watching the boaters, jet skiers and people enjoying the water, was fun to watch. Make sure you get the lake view room! The resort view rooms (I believe) look into the wooded areas.

I only had a few meals in the hotel, but all food was good. Room service breakfast, was hot and on-time. Gaby's by the Lake was casual and nice to sit out by the water to dine. The food was very good, and not over-loaded to where you couldn't eat it all. Cudo's to the chef! I only had the breakfast buffet in Georgia's the last day of my stay, and it was very good as well. Omelette's made right before you, so you could see how fresh everything was. I did not dine there in the evenings because it is a little more up-scale, and I didn't want to change out of my shorts, tank top and flip-flops :).

I never made it to the beautiful infinity pool, which overlooks the lake. And I never got in the indoor pool at the spa. Also, never made it to the gym, but in passing, it look very well stocked compared to other places!

The grounds are great for enjoying the walking/biking paths, and while I am not a golfer, all courses looks in top condition.

My room was nice - nothing overly special for the price. Stocked mini-bar, should you so desire; snacks too. Bathroom was large with a separate tub and shower. But, the shower stall was SMALL! I, as woman, had to stick my nose in the corner of the stall just to be able to bend over a bit to wash. Not sure how a man would fit. Not good, compared to other places I have stayed, for much cheaper $$$. The service by all staff was superb! Everyone spoke to you when passing,addressed you by last name, and everyone had a smile, and nothing was beyond their job description when asked. The valet parking is great, but honestly, why should a person be made to pay for the service, if they don't want to? I have no problem with parking my own car.

The spa was nice, but I have been in better. The quiet room (at least on the ladies side) was anything but, with everyone chatting away. The services I got - the facial was fair but not as good as the one I received at The Umstead in Cary, NC. The technician just seemed a little rough. But, the Swedish Massage I got was wonderful! Twice I almost fell asleep, and I am a very hard person to get to sleep. The steam room and sauna were great.

Ritz Reynolds is a family spot, lots to keep the kids and parents occupied. Every evening, they do s'mores for anyone that would like to make one. I did get a little irritated one evening, when it was close to 11pm, and there were kids outside yelling and running around. Just a bit late in my mind, especially when one is trying to relax and enjoy the solitude. That is poor care taking by the parents, and when I did complain finally to the front desk, they basically said nothing we can do about it, but will alert security. HUMPH There should be a no noise after 10pm rule.

It is a bit older in decor, but then again, goes well with the Southern charm and the lodge atmosphere. All-in-all, I would stay again for sure. While I was there on business, it was like a mini-vacation when I was finally able to enjoy the scenery. Certainly made me see, that the Ritz name is one I will search out again, for my stays around the country.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

My wife and I were there for our 31st anniversary.

Let's start with the good:
(1) One of the three best spas my wife and I have visited
(2) The interaction with the service people was extremely good.
(3) The location and environment is beautiful
(4) The building is wonderful to walk around.
(5) The food was excellent.

My primary complaint is that a hotel that charges these high costs and bills itself as a luxury facility should be much better - it is the little things that make a truly luxury hotel. A few examples:
(1) At 9:30 in the morning there should not be cigarette butts, dirty diapers and beer bottles on the beach (apparently from the night before).
(2) The pool had cracked tiles and scum on the walls
(3) The shower in our room was small, dirty and the showerhead barely put out enough water to rinse off soap.
(4) Everything you paid for was exorbitant (e.g., $15 for a glass of wine, when I could buy the bottle at home for $25?)
(5) Newspapers are left down by the elevator, not your room and the Saturday paper was a day old USA today.
(6) The walls are pretty thin - we were woken by the kids in the room next door at 6:30AM.

Bottom Line: An excellent hotel, but for the money you pay here, there are better choices.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

This place is incredible. It gives you a luxury hotel experience combined with the fun activities of the lake - perfect! I read some reviews where people complained about the service however we were treated like royalty from the time we arrived until the time we left. We were greeted by every employee from the room attendants to the GM. The person that stated the employees "have their hands out for a tip all of the time" is delusional. This is a Ritz - their employees know better. News flash - its polite to tip people in the "service" industry - its how they make their money. My man Travis at the pool made sure we never went without - towels, food, drink,(even free water) etc. My only advice is if you want to rent a boat and go skiing/tubing, its probably better to go to an outside source instead of the marina the Ritz outsources. You cannot tube with their pontoon boats and you cannot take a ski boat out without their staff member on board. Typhoon Tommy's gave us a great boat and even let us stay out longer than we paid for. Its about 10 minutes away from the Ritz. Lake Oconee is BEAUTIFUL. Gaby's poolside restaurant is great. My only regret is that I didn't have time to play golf on what appeared to be top notch golf courses. Overall this is a great getaway and we will be back next summer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation? Share your experiences!