“Relaxing Birthday Celebration” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta,Ga
“Relaxing Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

Celebrated my wife's birthday with a weekend trip to The Lodge. Wonderful rustic building on Lake Oconee. Service was excellent. Booked club level, upgraded to an executive suite, wonderful! Club level worth the dollars for breakfast & lunch. Spa was great but pricey. We had a rainy weekend that made the indoor pool & spa facilities much appreciated. Great weekend getaway from our Atlanta home. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

506 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

Business meetings are what brought me to this amazing property. The golf courses are awesome, the multitude of fine homes in the area is mind boggling - so much wealth in this area. Grab a bike, or their Segway's and see the surrounding area. The trails were well groomed and excellent for walking, jogging or biking. The pool area outside was fantastic for adults. My room was beautiful, the food was excellent considering that they were cooking for our group of over 200. Hotel bars were nice, so also was the option of simply finding an available chiminea near the shore, building my own fire and smoking a nice cigar while sipping a beverage or two. I'd gladly return to this fine hotel for either business reasons or a family retreat.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

The combo of a recession and a slow season add up to great deals at the Ritz Carlton Reynolds Plantation. Our room was $249 a night but included a $50 resort credit and free breakfast at Georgia's restaurant (about a $45 value). Unlike some others here, our bill was correct at checkout. They even let us take some bikes out for free ($40 value).

Staying at a hotel in dead season has some negatives but the Ritz Reynolds Plantation was still superlative with service. Being younger and self-sufficient, I don't really want people carrying my bags and parking my car because I would rather do it myself. I made the mistake of trying to do it myself and I don't recommend doing that here because I ended up getting lost finding my room and couldn't find the self-parking easily and ended up in an employee lot. In the future, I'll just let them park my car, pay the fees/tips, and let someone else bring my bags to the room.

The room itself is nice with a large bathroom. Lots of great Bvlgari products so hide them in your bag if you want them refilled so you can stock up! Each room has a nice balcony to sit out on and the beds are pretty comfortable although far from the most comfortable I've slept in. I wasn't blown away by the room.

The spa and indoor pool were ok. The men's spa area is really nice but the hot tub was so hot that I felt like I was getting scalded putting my foot in. I ended up jumping in the cold plunge next to it that was more like bathwater and not the 45 degrees it should be. The indoor pool didn't feel heated and was not warm at all. The hot tub by the indoor pool was a good temperature so I relaxed in there. The place was pretty dead so we had the run of the spa and pool. Gym is also very nice!

The outdoor pool is supposedly heated but it definitely was not so I couldn't go in there either. The disappearing edge is a great feature, too bad I couldn't enjoy it. There's a large hot tub near the pool that I used and it was a good temperature. Gaby's on the lake was closed the night we wanted to eat there but it is a beautiful looking restaurant.

If you decide to rent bikes, be aware that this is a very hilly area! I ended up pushing my bike up hills most of the time and the quality of the bikes are very poor and need to be replaced soon. Maybe that's why they were free? Either way, I'm not complaining!

We used both of our $50 resort credit in the lobby lounge over 2 nights. The service was excellent with really nice servers and pretty good food. One night we had 3 beers each and 2 appetizers for our $50 and 2 entrees the next night. Get the homemade chips and ranch dressing appetizer...delicious! It was enough for dinner and it was nice to not have to leave the hotel for dinner. I didn't go to the Linger Longer steakhouse but someone was bragging about how good it was so maybe next time.

Overall, this was a good stay but this probably isn't the ideal getaway for the under 35 set. After spending 3 nights in midtown Atlanta, I was getting kind of bored here but I did leave feeling VERY relaxed! Oh, in order to save on expensive drinks and food at the hotel, there's a Publix nearby. You can bring your own drink or bottle to the lobby for some people watching. Please note: Alcohol sales are prohibited on Sundays in Georgia (except at bars) so stock up before you arrive if coming on a Sunday. I wish I realized that!

Lastly, everyone talks about the 'smores and they were very good! It was relaxing sitting around the fire and toasting them. The second night was empty so we were able to sit out there for about 2 hours relaxing and talking to the few other hotel guests. The supplies, service, and hot apple cider are excellent. If I ever open my own hotel, I'm going to have a fire pit with free 'smores because it seems like it is the most enjoyable part of people's trip to this hotel.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing getaway in a beautiful country lodge environment. My preference tends to lean toward Four Seasons over Ritz Carlton based on my previous experiences. The continuous "my pleasure" and attention is not something I prefer and have noticed that the Four Seasons staff tends to leave you alone more while providing great service. Either way you can't go wrong at this property and if you love doting service this is THE PLACE to stay!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

We had a great time at this location and have stayed at many Ritz Carlton's before. The staff was fabulous particularly, Linda in sales and Eric on the waitstaff at the Linger Longer. The facilities are beautiful and we had a peaceful relaxing stay. We are not the type to have our vacaiton ruined by a mark on the wall of the hallway. I have no complaints about accomodations and staff. However, we have had the same issue with other Ritz Carltons...the billing. The package that we booked included breakfast and a $50.00 per day resort credit. Well, guess what didn't get credited. A family member also called to arrange dinner for us at their expense and guess what didn't get credited. It is unfortunate this is a recurring problem with the Ritz but we still had a great time.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

My boss has had us come to this hotel 2 X's now for "bonding". This hotel did not live up to my expectations. I had always heard how wonderful Ritz-Carltons are & how they are all known for their exceptional service. I did not experience that at all. The staff was very pretentious & unhelpful. They would not help out at all with early check in requests. I felt like they treated me in a discriminatory manner because I am not their typical guest. I am not 50 years old & don't wear golf clothes. My boss on the other hand always gets great service because she fits their neat/nice profile. The room looks like it was decorated in the 80's. It is totally out of date & wasn't even very clean. Our patio door was broken. The only nice thing in the room was the bed. It was very comfortable. The view we had was nice. The bathroom was upgraded. Seriously though, I wasn't impressed with this hotel & I wasn't even paying for the room. There is no way that if I were paying that I would ever come to this hotel. The hotel did have beautiful grounds. It was decorated for the Christmas season with lots of lights. My cell phone had no reception at this hotel and it isn't even very far off of the beaten path. Their restaurant & spa services are absurdly overpriced. The outdoor area that had hot cocoa & smores had run out of supplies & the resort never replenished that for the guests. If you get sucked into buying their pillows because they are so very comfortable, don't. We purchased them online directly from the provider to save money & they died within a year. I know that down pillows don't last forever, but the ones that I have bought at discount stores have lasted longer.

• Liked — the grounds
  • Disliked — the service & room
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North Potomac, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Reynolds Plantation for one night during the holidays. The exterior of the hotel and surrounding were wrapped in while lights, it was absolutely stunning. This RC is a bit more rustic than the classic RG. Walking in the hallway leading to the hotel room, we noticed marks on the walls possibly from housekeeping carts. Inside the hotel room, by the dresser, we noticed pretty quickly two torn areas of carpet near the dresser. We wondered how this torn carpt had been missed by maintenance. The room left us wondering when the room was last throughly cleaned by evidenced of the dust on the phone and on the headboards and the dirty bathtub fixture. While the inside left much to be desired, the nightime campfire making smores and fires along the lake side were memorable.

• Liked — Setting by the lake
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Decatur, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

This Ritz Carlton is the perfect setting for the holidays. The entire property is lit with white lights, while inside the lodge there is always at least one roaring fire and a gingerbread house big enough to stand in.

While the property is gorgeous, the most impressive part of the Ritz is the impeccable service. Every member of the staff that we came into contact with was extremely friendly and helpful. The restaurant was happy to serve us breakfast even though we arrived 15 minutes after they were supposed to stop serving.

Finally, there is no lack of activities for the kids. Kid-friendly films are shown around the clock, and there is a nightly bonfire with all the fixings for smores. In all, a great holiday!

• Liked — Great staff/service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation? Share your experiences!