“Rooms only so-so and resort was overcrowded” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit Daily
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Greensboro
McLean, Virginia
“Rooms only so-so and resort was overcrowded”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was a bit disappointed. Not so disappointed I would never return...but I definitely won't be rushing back. The rooms were very mediocre. We were even staying on the club level..and it just felt dated. It was clean...but dated.... and didn't feel "luxury".
I visited over Labor Day weekend and it was just way too crowded! Kids everywhere! (I have two young kids of my own---so I like kids....but too crowded! You absolutely could not find a pool chair. (I had to sit on a rock wall near the pool in order to watch my kids.) The pool was a safety hazard. It was so crowded (with no lifeguard) that you couldn't reach your arm out without touching the person near you. (Not exactly what you picture when you think of a Ritz-Carlton).
Other negatives:
You had to drive to play tennis.
Staff was hit or miss. (Some were great, some not so great)
Positives:
My kids loved the kids club and all the other kid related activities.
The club level had nice food presentations and were accommodating to my child's food allergy. (I was, however, disappointed when we were told one night that we were not able to order room service --a mere sandwich--to the club. At the time, there were no guests in the club and all property restaurants were fully booked for the evening. It was ridiculous. I couldn't believe the hotel was turning down an opportunity to make more money! And...I did not think that was Ritz level --particularly "club" service.
Overall, it was nice. I'd go back--maybe. Probably only b/c of it's close proximity to my home. (1 hour drive). Not worth a trip from out of state for sure!

478 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever had the privilege of staying in. The location on Lake Oconee is just magnificent. They have their own beach, water sport equipment rentals, wonderful lake views, lakeside bar/grill and infinity pool. Looking back at the hotel from the lake, you feel like you are somewhere really special.

The service, of course, is top-shelf as any Ritz normally is. I was part of a small group in town for 4 days of golf at the Reynolds Plantation golf courses, so we had needs. They were very good about storing our golf bags, getting them when necessary, and making sure there was a shuttle waiting for us. They also had a shuttle at the golf course just as we were finishing our round, so we didn't need to waste any time waiting around for transportation.

I also had a bit of an ordeal in their lakeside bar when a yellow jacket flew in my drink just as I took a drink. I got stung several times on my tongue and in my mouth and they were quick to help me deal with my misery, providing Benadryl, aspirin, and lots of ice. Do not try this at home!

If there were some downsides to the hotel, I thought the food was overpriced, the room was small-ish, and had difficulty navigating the hotel itself. While good, I don't think I should ever pay as much as I did for meals. The breakfast that was included with our package was quite good, however. I always found it a bit of a challenge to get from our room to the bar or to breakfast or to the lobby. Not much they could do about this.

At the end of the day, if I ever get back down to Reynolds Plantation, I'll be staying here.

Room Tip: If you can get it, request a lakeside room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cumming, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Just got back from a special long weekend at the resort (our engagement) and could not begin to rave more about the staff and service we received during our stay. Like other reviews we found the grounds of the property to be in pristine condition and we were pleasantly surprised to find the infinity pool was heated (especially since it had rained the day before). We did eat at all the restaurants and were not disappointed at all.

Every member of staff that we encountered was willing to go out of their way to bend over backwards to assist all of our needs. I do want to take a moment to recognize a few staff members by name that we feel went above and beyond and deserve a special Kudos. These staff members are

Omar (Asst. Dir. Of Food and Beverage), he appeared to be on his way back to the resort from Gaby’s Bar and Grill. He went out his way to greet us and make sure we did not need anything. After several minutes of conversation, he took the time to make sure that all our dining options were taken care of for the weekend and then went on to recommend different entrée’s at all the restaurants. Explaining our disappointment that Georgia’s Bistro outdoor dining was going to be closed on Sunday (Seasonal) and the fire pits would also be off. He assured us that he would have the fire pits turned on and if we wanted he would find a way for us to eat on the outdoor patio. We thanked him for his offer but did not want to put anyone out to serve us dinner. He gave us his business card and told us if we change our mind to just contact him. Upon returning to the room later on that afternoon we were surprised to find a bottle of Champagne and a welcome gift bag from Omar and his staff. Later that evening (Again he went above and beyond our expectation)

Our turndown attendants Dinette and Stephanie, upon our return to the room on Saturday we found the bed full of rose pedals in the form of a heart (see picture). Both evenings they made sure to make sure that the room was extra special.

Kevin (Food & Beverage Supervisor) and Laura and Noah from Georgia’s Bistro restaurant, even though the restaurant was closed for dinner Kevin arranged for us to have reserved seating at one of the fire pits and both Laura and Noah had stayed late to make sure that we got settled into the reserved seating with Champagne and a variety of dessert. Making us feel at home and special.

The only opportunities I would say was that it appears that on Sundays the local residents bring their families to the pool while watching the games in the bar (the pool/hot tub was filled with kids not staying at the resort) it was not as relaxing as you would expect for a Sunday. Also guest services should understand the club level food offerings. Originally, I had booked a room with a breakfast package but I called the resort directly to discuss changing to a club level room. In talking with the resorts guest services it was explained that the club level offered a hot breakfast with eggs. Turned out the only eggs was some type of vegetarian egg entrée (We ended up going to Georgia’s Bistro for the breakfast buffet at an additional cost).

The staff member’s named above shows the dedication to customer service that makes this resort above all the rest and will make us recommend it to all of our friends and family. This will be our new weekend getaway destination for years to come.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I've been returning to the Reynolds Plantation every year or so for an annual conference, and its a fantastic venue. Yes, it's slightly inconvenient to drive here from Hartsfield, but once at Lake Oconee, it's worth it. The staff is very friendly, the grounds are beautiful, the rooms are well taken care of and comfortable, and the conference facilities are great. If I lived in Atlanta, I'd often come back with my family, I'm sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This hotel has the potential of being a true 5 star. However, there are some hiccups. Upon arrival, the check in took 1.5 hours. We arrived at 3:30 pm and were in our room at 5:00 pm. We were not given an upgrade at all in accordance with our AMEX and Marriott Platinum status while we watched others get upgrades whilst standing at the front desk the entire 1.5 hours. In addition, other rooms got newspapers, but ours was left with none. So, I did go to the front desk manager in the morning to air my concerns. He was very responsive and that night we had a gift bag, compliments of the check in person. I hesitated to write this review as I felt that the hotel made up for the issues upon check in. The one person who should be highly complimented was Walt the bellman. He was able to go directly to a manager and get us an appropriate room within 5 minutes. He is a shining example of a 5* employee. This hotel should let guests sit down and have a cold drink if there will be a wait upon check in. At some 5* properties, guests sit down and never have to stand at a desk. A much more pleasant experience.

The other disappointing factor at this hotel is that the usual amenities that Ritz properties have in rooms were lacking - i.e. dental and shaving kits. There was a bent sewing kit, that looked like it had been in a washer.

However, the positives of this hotel is that it is truly gorgeous spot with lots of activities. The rooms are spacious, the beds comfortable and the staff extremely friendly and polite. In addition, the food we had at both the steak restaurant and Georgia's bistro was excellent.

We will most likely be back as there is good tennis and golf.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the RC at Lake Oconee. This is our second visit this year and once again our trip did not disappoint. The grounds and property are fantastic. The pool is perfect (and not too crowded given the mid-September visit). The rooms are still fresh from the upgrade back in the spring, not over the top but very comfortable, bright, and clean.

The best part of the stay is the club level. The food is awesome and what they call a "light snack" is truly a full meal. We have an upgrade package through our credit card and get three upgrades a year--totally worth the annual fee we pay on the card. The resources at the club are the hotel's best asset. Nice, kind, helpful and truly go out of their way to make sure you have a great stay.

We also ate at Linger Longer which was quite nice. It was my husband's birthday and they really played it up.

Once again I left with the thought that I can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the club level for a great view!!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I could not recommend this hotel more for a quick getaway. We decided on a Tuesday to make the short (77 miles) drive from Atlanta for a Saturday morning-Sunday night stay. I called Saturday morning to request an early check-in and our room was ready when we arrived at 11AM. Every single one of the staff was so polite and helpful and did everything possible to make sure our stay was the best it could be.

When I realized I had forgotten my iPhone charger and couldn't find a 5 charger to save my life, Lisa went OUT OF HER WAY to hunt one down for me. It's the little things like this that make the difference between good and great service, in my opinion. The grounds were gorgeous and well-maintained, the infinity pool has an amazing view of the lake and the jet ski rental was a great way to spend a couple of hours.

We were only there for 24 hours and only ate/drank at Gaby's by the Lake, but it was fantastic. The caesar with grilled shrimp was one of the best salads I've had in years, and Gabriel at the bar makes incredible drinks.

The only thing I didn't love was the amount of kids in the hot tub and bar areas. I love kids, and don't mind sharing my space with them on a vacation, but I feel that a hotel's hot tub should be a quiet and relaxing area, not filled with screaming, splashing children. At the bar on Saturday evening/night, there were children with their parents. Again, I just think certain areas of a resort should be child-free, especially a bar on a weekend night.

Aside from that, this hotel is amazing and I highly recommend.

Room Tip: ask for a lake-facing room on the ground floor so you can just walk right out of your room to the wa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation? Share your experiences!