“Relaxation in the fall” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Birmingham, Alabama
“Relaxation in the fall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

November is a wonderful month to enjoy the amenities at Reynolds plantation with no crowds. Lobster rolls, lake views, outdoor fire pits, great spa experience, wonderful hikes. Quaint towns nearby that are easy to visit.

• Stayed November 2012

504 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
marlatravelsfar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Ok, after our two night stay over Labor day weekend, I can honestly say, I can't imagine we would go back. Its not that it was awful the grounds are amazing....but this place in general is WAY over priced! And I, am no cheap girl, but when I spend money I want to go oh yea, that was worth it! You will not feel that way here.

We stayed in room 569....club level, lake view....but you can't see the lake from the room (see the pics). That was my issue to start. When paying $799 plus occ tax and sales tax then parking....so $ 914.88 per night....before we ate or went on a jet ski....I was expecting amazing. I got so so at best.

We are room people, and the room was average. But fine....I went to turn the TV on but it did not work, they did fix it with in a few hours and gave us free movies to make up for it, so I was happy.

Then I decide to shower for dinner.....and the water cuts off 1/2 way through my shower. So there I am, shampoo in my hair and we have dinner reservations. Needless to say finishing my shower in the sink was not ok at all.

I go to call the front desk to complain.....the phone did not work!!! They did fix the water about an hour later, and did fix the phone a few hours later, but with out so much as an I'm sorry and here is what we are crediting your bill for the sub- par accommodations!?! At the Ritz?? Really??

So we figured we would just go enjoy the pool.....except there were 800 kids running around screaming like crazy....and did I mention, there is no where to sit at the pool and no adult outdoor areas.

The best thing there were the Jet ski's, that was super fun, however, we could only rent one the first day we were there.....they were completely booked the next 2 days. But we really had fun seeing the area via water.

Steakhouse was good, not great, but a nice evening. Bistro was so loud! Kids everywhere, it was romper room for sure! They had blow ups for the kids in the ballrooms and tons of activities for them. But we were looking for a relaxing couple trip. And this is just not the spot for that.

The Club level lounge did not even serve a full breakfast....its like a holiday inn breakfast buffet with bagels and dry oatmeal....but hey, you can get a free soda for your extra $300 a night? Never again. Never.

Spa was by far the best part of the trip. No kids, just us. We had the couples massages and pedicures. It was lovely. My lady even gave me my toe nail polish incase I chipped it! Loved that.

I hear sea island is nice for couples, we will be trying that next time.

I'm honestly disappointed with this property but still glad that we went because I would have always thought this was a much nicer spot than it is. At least now, I know we are not missing anything. Overall we spent $3500 to go on a jet ski....for an hour and eat.

Room Tip: Make sure you get on the even numbered side, that faces the lake....we got a tree view that was supp...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta,Ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We have made this a regular stop for our anniversary celebration
This year we found the hotel completely refurbished. looks great
Staff is wonderful, attentive, personable.
Be away that its become very family friendly so keep that in mind for weekend visits, lots of kids.
We look forward to our next visit

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Overall this was a great experience with plenty to do for adults as well as kids. The complaints that I have read are from my perspective, from people who dont understand that resorts charge you for EVERYTHING, how do you think they are able to attract the best staff and provide the best service all while keep things fresh and new.
On the lake we enjoyed the speed boat rental and hired the captain to take us around for an hour...it was worth the money as it saved time to get to the right spots for knee boarding and skiing, we also rented the jet ski's. Suggestion to book early so you ensure the time you want.
We also hung out at the beach area for many hours, the kids enjoyed the floating disks in the lake as well as digging in the sand. They have planty of toys for the kids to use (free of charge).
The pool was refreshing and well maintained, service for food and drinks was excellent, shout out to Nathan who actually jumped into the pool to serve our drinks!!
Other activities we enjoyed: Train ride for kids 2x's a day and the Segway tour was the overall family favorite, I was skeptical but it turned out great. During our visit there were a lot of kids but there was not a single time where I observed any of them getting out of line, all were very well behaved.
Best of all we met many fun families a made a few new friends.

We will be back soon.

Room Tip: Get Lakeside on the bottom floor then you can walk right out of the balcony to the pool/lake
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Have visited RC Reynolds Plantation for a few years now as a end of summer/beginning of school year celebration. Resources are obviously being spent all around the property with recent hotel rennovations and upgrades to a couple of the golf courses. All of the staff and departments such as housekeeping are outstanding. Your stress level immediately drops as you enter the property and look out over the lake. The breakfast buffet is very good but we prefer to go off property for dinner as we find the menus somewhat limited. The Linger Longer steakhouse is very good but was closed for repairs during this visit. If you are into nightlife this is definitly not your property. If you are into great service, water activities, golf, and relaxing views of the lake then this is for you. Any company can build a property on the lake but its the Ritz Carlton people at this location that makes it special.

Room Tip: If available, get a room that overlooks the lake.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Second visit to Reynolds Plantation's Ritz Carlton. Both times have been excellent experiences. Wonderful grounds, plenty of activities and the best spa/wet area I've experienced. Staff were all very attentive and courteous. Southern charm!

• Stayed August 2013
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Really great property and (with one exception) outstanding service. Who knew middle Georgia could be so beautiful? I spent two days and nights here for work function. Many people have mentioned there were lots of children over the summer, but with most schools in Georgia starting over the past couple of weeks, it was generally quiet with a handful of pre-schoolers.

Pros:
Outstanding setting on Lake Oconee; nice infinity pool and hammocks around the property
Beautiful finishes, decor, quality construction as one would expect at a Ritz
Comfortable beds, Frette linens, luxurious bathroom
For the most part, warm, friendly service
Spa looked lovely (however, pricey) but I did not indulge

Cons:

Hotel was difficult to navigate -- had to walk long distances through what felt like a maze
Rather dark interior in the public spaces
Food was good, not great (however, creme of onion soup was out of this world and the scallops entree at Gaby's was outstanding).
Fitness room was missing some key things like balance balls, floor mats, and TVs in front of the treadmills. Seems more geared to men in general.

The only bad:

Service poor on the luggage: left bags with bell captain upon arrival; checked in many hours later and was told bags would be delivered to room. An hour later, no bags. Called bell captain to nudge and was told they would get "right on it"; 30 minutes later, still no bags. I needed to change for dinner, so I went an retrieved them myself. Again was offered for them to be delivered, but I insisted on taking them myself and let them know I'd been waiting for 90 minutes. No apology provided? Wow.

Room Tip: Lakeview room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation? Share your experiences!