“No Place Else to See a Swamp Like This!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Attractions in Folkston
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Outdoors
Activities: Canoeing, Camping, Hiking, Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors to this nature preserve can experience the diversity of local wildlife.
Milton, Georgia
250 attraction reviews
“No Place Else to See a Swamp Like This!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Lots of wildlife and just a very different and interesting place on earth. Huge swamp with many distinct areas. Guided boat tour of 90 minutes is well worth it. Good roadways inside the refuge let visitors take their time to see as much as they would like. Visitors Center is ok, and currently closed on Tuesday and Wednesday due to budget cuts. We were lucky to be there on a Monday. The website didn't make that closure real clear. All staff we found were pleasant and helpful.

Visited August 2013

Savannah, Georgia
“My first swamp adventure.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I took a kayak tour into the swamp this July, and had a great time. I saw lots of waterfowl, and gators. The highlight of sight seeing for me, were the large stands of Sarracenia on floating mounds in the swamp, and the Bladderwort flowers dotting the surface of the water. After our tour my bf and I took the sightseeing road and at first were bored because all of the trees seemed to have burned in one of the wildfires but upon further inspection, ( we slowed the truck down ) I noticed all of the wonderful plants growing alongside the ditch. There I saw over 25 different species of flowering plants, and some of the biggest Sarracenia I had seen all day, plus some native orchid species and a few rare plants that I haven't seen in the wild in many years.

I would recommend this wonderful place to anyone looking for a little adventure or someone who would like to see some of the natural gems this beautiful country has to offer.

Decatur, Georgia, United States
“Worth the stop.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We made a stop on the way from Amelia Island to Atlanta. It was worth going out of the way for. We didnt really spend a lot of time there but we drove through the park which was pretty boring. There wasnt much wildlife out . We didnt have time to walk through the homestead. We went through the center and of course the gift shop. We were considering the kayak but we are not really an adventure family so we opted for the guided boat tour. Charlie was a great guide and we did see a few alligators learned a lot. I would recommend this for sure.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Adventure of a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Woodstorks, sandhill cranes, alligators, carnivorous plants, square miles of blooming lily pad "prairies," -- the list of wonders at the Okefenokee wildlife refuge is long. Eight miles of paddling in spry canoes with an enthusiastic and exceptionally knowledgeable guide, Chip, facilitated by his wife, Joy, was a fascinating experience. This couple and their staff were very responsive and accessible and seemed to be delighted to do whatever necessary to make it possible for people to experience the wonders of this resplendent and mysterious place, whether by motor boat, canoe or kayak. They also offer multi-day camping on platforms set miles into the swamp. Visiting the Okefenokees made the idea of connecting natural areas as wildlife corridors all the way south to the Everglades, as depicted in one of the natural areas maps for the region, seem all the more sensible and appealing, in that it would be planning ahead for a healthier, more resilient future for our children. I'm not quite sure what the average person could do to help with this, but would like to find out.

Mesa
4 attraction reviews
“Totally sweet stop along the way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

$5 to see wild alligators? Yes, please. Entrance is cheap and this place has enough entertainment for a whole afternoon. You can go on the boat tours, or not. We chose not to because we are on a budget for traveling around the nation. It was easily worth the money to enter, though. You can take a drive down their nature path in your car. Look for alligators in any area with water. We saw 2 while driving along. Needless to say, it was amazing. I would go back if I lived anywhere near here. Not sure how good the boat tours are, but we loved the drive and the visitors center tries hard to look nice and keep clean.