“People must be trained!!” 3 of 5 stars

You added Royal Decameron Isleno to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Isleno
Av. Colon Calle 3ra N 6-106, San Andres, San Andres Island, Colombia   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in San Andres
“People must be trained!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

In general hotel facilities are great! You`ll find an amazing pool, rooms are simple but comfortable and most of beverages and liquors found in hotel bars are of good quality. Such description might give an idea of a perfect all inclusive hotel (and probably that will be you first impression on arriving) but the truth is that small things must be rapidly solved to make this a real 5 stars all inclusive hotel. Firstly, they don't provide food/snacks 24h/day as expected. In fact, they provide you with breakfast, lunch and dinner but it's hard to find snacks to eat in the middle. I still don't understand why there are no beverages, liquors at rooms. Actually, at least water should be provided and it isn't. Even on bars staff never strives to make guests stay more pleasant. If the bar doesn't have lemon, in example, the barmen don't worry in recharge it, they simply tell you to look at another place. Well, I`m not saying the hotel is bad, the opposite, but they need to improve the level of their services to worth the price they charge.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms nearer to the lobby or pool, the block 4 is far from restaurants and pool and you...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chatham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

When we first attended hotel let say we were impressed. We were greeted by friendly staff and got to our room quickly. The room was bright and clean , the view was spectacular . Now let's down to problems first lack of hot water called and complained still had same problem on last day wi fi was spotty in our room . They are working on this problem. Second was dinning room staff very confused and not very attentive thank god for Johnny ,food was ok but not spectacular . Third beach chairs were not free to hotel guests like in years past. Best things of hotel front desk staff very helpful , bar staff friendly and know how to mix drinks. The pool is spectacular . The entertainment was first class two bands every night.best thing we learned is there will be flights out of Toronto next season . With all said I'm sure hotel is working on these problems and we will go there next year. They say this is a five star but is really a three star.

Room Tip: Tower 6 or 1
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

The hotel itself couldn't be more impressive.. beautiful beachfront location with brand new amenities, fantastic food, comfortable beds and rooms, impressive pool and bars, colourful buildings. However, the management, although accommodating when pressed, proved consistently to make poor decisions when it came to wait staff, customer bookings, and amenity scheduling.

Firstly, my family arrived in separate reservations, but together, as a party of 13. Every couple within the party was checked in without issue, until it came to my sister and her husband, who were told that the room they were originally booked for had an air conditioner that was out of service and they would have to be moved to a different hotel 15 mins away by taxi for the first night. For only a three night stay, and considering we were a family traveling together, we were justifiably outraged, and stated that this was unacceptable. As it was already 8p by the time of check-in, they said all rooms were already occupied and they had no other alternative available - to which my sister responded that she would stay in the room, without air conditioning, just to not separate the group. The management then admitted that the room was "under construction" and not habitable - which means they have known for some time that the room was unavailable! Considering as how the trip was booked all with the same travel agency, the hotel should have been aware of the situation and either asked someone else to change hotels. Is it our belief that the hotel intentionally oversold the room, knowing they didn't have the space available, expecting that there would be no consequence! After much debate and arguing, my sister and her husband decided to share a room with other family members, and we were given a free excursion the next day, for all 13, as compensation. Weary from travel, we then collect our keys and make our way to our rooms, realising that we are on completely different sides of the resort! Again, we booked it all together, with the last names, and they didn't have enough sense to put at least near each other? There were younger people in our group that had to be split up between adults in order to accommodate such a lack of foresight.

Also, this proved to be a minor issue, but still worth mention - the pool closed at 6p every day. On a tropical island, where the sun doesn't go down till 7p and tourists are obviously on holiday and have no need to turn in early, 6p was just way too early. At 6:05 when we attempted to enter the pool, unaware of its closure, we were advised that the treatment chemicals are already being pumped into the water, and that it was unsafe to go into. What?!

The next issue we had was with the wait staff. It was my first stay at an all-inclusive hotel so I cannot judge if this is simply a consequence of workers believing they will not be receiving tips and thus don't have to deliver the same quality of service, but the bartenders were some of the most slow and incompetent people I have ever had serve me a drink (except for Jose, who was an absolute treasure of an employee!) and I learned not to even approach the bar if there were more than 3 people standing there, as it was a guarantee that the wait would be more than 20 minutes. It was evident that a lot of the servers/bartenders there either had no idea what they were doing, or were just simply unprofessional to the point of complete disregard of the guests. I found out at the end of the trip the extent of this poor selection of employees - upon checkout, I realised that 285.000 Colombian pesos (~$145 USD) had been stolen from my hotel room. Agreed, that it was partly my fault, as I had left my wallet zipped up in an inside pocket of my purse instead of in the safe, but it was simply the icing on the cake. I filed a formal report with the head of security, who assured me that this had not happened before (although, since the hotel has only been open 2 months, that wasn't entirely reassuring), but that he would review the tapes to see who had entered the room during my stay there, and that they would perform the necessary enquiries if need be. It remains to be seen if anything comes of it, but I'm not too optimistic.

Overall, as mentioned above, the hotel itself is beautiful, but be wary of the management and waitstaff. The island itself is beautiful, but obviously poor, and one must be very careful venturing off the resort itself.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Following my tradition of a different place every New Year to meditate on the previous year, I went to this hotel in San Andres Island and was I surprised! Everything was excellent...it's a brand new five-star hotel (opened December 15, 2013) with all it needs to truly enjoy your stay. The service, food, amenities, entertainment and location was excellent. The only thing I didn't like was that the beachfront does not have chairs for their guests and you must rent and pay for a tent or chair from another company. Otherwise, I truly recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor right in front of the pool and beach...I sat there for hours just watch...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Royal Decameron Isleno? Share your experiences!