“Huge servings... Just like grandma used to give me” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 83 Restaurants in Evans
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
“Huge servings... Just like grandma used to give me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

My grandmother was straight from Germany. This reminds me of a little place in Kansas she used to work at with all the German decor. The place in general is pretty standard. tables and chairs but don't expect fancy tables cloths and candles or a romantic ambiance. Its all about the food here. I've only been to dinner here never lunch but the dinner servings are enough for two people to share one entree. Don't even bother going to Villa Europa. This place has better German food and it won't break the bank but it is slightly higher than a dinner at Applebee's or some other chain restaurant. Some people have complained about service. I've never had bad or slow service. Maybe the others are just too high maintenance.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Northern VA
“Ok German fare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We had takeout so I can't comment on service or the experience. Large portions and ok food. Villa Europa is better, in my opinion. This seemed like "fast food German."

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hephzibah, Georgia
“Shocked over review dated May 17, 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Augsburg Haus is the best German/Bavarian restaurant within many a mile radius - the retired Air Force (2002) individual must have never been anywhere near a Bavarian restaurant ( a REAL one) while in the service. I am a constant customer of the Augsburg Haus as I AM from Bavaria and cherish the tradition of the STAMMTISCH (Augsburg Haus has two) These tables are old traditions in the Bavarian world (feel like it when I go in there). The tables are reserved for regular customers that frequent the place time and time again. They automatically know where to sit - their Stammtisch (just like they do in Germany/Bavaria). IF an employee sits at one of those tables it is because they are humans and get hungry too - if 'regulars' come in they immediately clear the table. The unfortunate visit of Air Force Ret'd 2002 might have had a combination of things happening.Like: Did they wait to be seated? If that was not the case it can easily happen that they end up at a table that had not been cleaned yet, including the salt and pepper shakers. I have never, in all my years as a 'regular' Stammtisch customer experienced an occasion where customers were not immediately greeted and seated and that at a clean table - it had been cleaned. Germans believe in cleanliness and don't like being critized - they work hard and are proud of their business. As for the food - it is the best and freshly prepared food you can find. I don't know about the dishes - I've never noticed anything unusual about them. I eat the food, not the plates. As for the plastic drink containers. I can imagine how much it would cost them if they served the drinks in 'original' German glasses, they would be out of business in a short time due to souvenir hunters. I am sad that the Air Force Ret'd 2002 individual had to write such a downgrading review - these people do not deserve this. I am writing this as an old and long time steady customer who enjoys going there, bringing friends and even visitors from Italy who had a great time - they left the USA Wednesday to fly back home. I bet that the Augsburg Haus will be in many of their stories. Not much will be lost if Air Force Ret'd 2002 won't return, a pity for them as they miss out on good food. The table - if taken to it would be clean - I am certain.
As I mentioned before - my Italian friends were thrilled to be able to spend some time at the Augsburg Haus and thoroughly enjoyed the food. They can't come back - too far a trip, but I and my various family members will return, time and time again - to the Stammtisch - the good old Bavarian tradition.
(They had it at the Hofbraeuhaus in Munich too - I know - I was there as a child!)

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Grovetown
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We are locals and on 6 May 2013 around 5:30 PM this restaurant for the first time. The food was very good, but the rest of our experience left a lot to be desired. The first thing we saw was two premium tables just inside the door with reserved signs. We soon discovered they were for your staff (our waitress was eating her meal there in between waiting on customers). Our table was not clean (dried drink splatters) and our salt and pepper were crusted with food so badly that we swapped them with an empty table. The cost of the meal for two was $50 plus tip and the food would have been worth it if we had not been served from cheap plates, plastic bowls and water glasses. Needless to say we will not be returning

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Evans, Georgia
“Amazing and awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Reading some of these reviews don't make since to me!! I have never had a bad experience there!! Food is always fresh and hot and u get service once u walk in the door!! Maybe some people shouldn't go out to eat!! Who would wait almost an hour before getting service?? I never had that happen and they always accommodate special orders!! Augsburg Haus is the most Bavarian food I ever had!! Beer is awesome and never would go anywhere else for German food!

• Visited April 2013