“our 'usual" lunch place” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sandwiches, Delicatessen
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
atlanta, ga
“our 'usual" lunch place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We have eaten at Wrights for 20 years--the food is always good, service good. Have also ordered to go meals and bakery items--always delicious! The best deli in Dunwoody area.

Visited January 2013

Dunwoody, Georgia
“Best in Atlanta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Have lived in Dunwoody over 25 years and Wright Gourmet has been there every step of the way. Clearly the best sandwich in the north metro-area and likely the best in town! Great Cuban (warm or cold) terrific take on the Central Grocery's "muffeletta." So many wonderful items you can't mention them all. Deserts are simple but excellent as well. Certainly not a diner, definitely not a drive-in but clearly no dive; simply terrific.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A Favorite for 20 Years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Some days you just get a craving for a favorite food. That's when we head to Wright's. My choice is 1/2 a Glenda's Garden (delicious veggie sandwich)' while my husband opts for liverwurst on rye. A cup of gazpacho rounds out a great summer meal. Of course, there are plenty of cakes, cookies and pies for those with a sweet tooth. Whatever the choice, the ingredients are always fresh and plentiful. Wright's has been a favorite choice for over 20 years.

outside Atlanta, GA
“Fresh, delicious, and worth the wait (and the drive!!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I'd had sandwiches from this shoppe before, but as takeout at a client's office. Finally drove the hour from my house into this shoppe on Saturday because my hubby is a sandwich aficionado and I'd raved about this place.

I had the same sandwich I have always had, the Turkey Salad on wheat. The portions are quite large, but I was hungry and did the whole sandwich. There is a very nice selection of pasta salads, salad, and other fixings; I had kettle chips and my hubby had the veggie pasta salad which he said was delicious.

He had the cuban (as it is one of his favorite types of sandwiches) - he loved it. Hot on fresh cuban bread, he ate the whole thing. My daughter had half a ham and cheese, which she also polished off.

Then there was the cupcake - chocolate with peanut butter frosting. It was to die for, just sweet and delicious and perfectly made.

If you ♥ sandwiches, you should definitely make the trip! And it is perfect for families; our daughter is five and there were a lot of other families there with young children.

And try the iced tea, there is a special spice in there (clove) which was a lovely addition.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Atlanta, GA
“Best sandwich I've ever had - but lose the attitude”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I grew up in Tampa, FL and visited the original Wright's Gourmet House there many times. Fifteen years ago, that was our "payday Friday" lunch indulgence - a colleague and I would split the Monte Cristo on white with a piece of the chocolate cake with fudge icing - pure decadence. I was last there a year ago. I was thrilled to find out several years ago that there was a Wright's in Atlanta - apparently a branch of the same family, same recipes, same names - but entirely separately owned....and the place in Dunwoody (Atlanta) has a chip on their shoulder about that.

I've now been to the Wright's Gourmet Shoppe in Dunwoody 4 or 5 times. The Monte Cristo on white (whether from the Tampa or Dunwoody location) is still the best sandwich I've ever tasted - I literally moan when I bite into it. Perfectly toasted with ham, turkey, pickle slices, cheese, and the most incredible mustard sauce. I had lunch there yesterday with a friend and ordered the Monte Cristo as usual. I asked for some extra mustard sauce on the side, but when they called my number and I walked up to the counter, there was no side, so I had to ask again - from a different woman. I asked for some Pete's mustard sauce on the side and she looked at me very blankly and said "some what?" I said "uh...the Pete's mustard sauce....." and she said "you mean Wright's mustard sauce?" and I rolled my eyes and said "sorry, I grew up in Tampa and am used to that location....yes, Wright's mustard sauce please". She pulled a plastic container with some sauce in it from a refrigerator and said "we'll just call it special mustard sauce". I thought that was just plain uncalled for. She knew exactly what I wanted and was just being pedantic to make a point. Whatever.

Unfortunately, their selection of cake by the slice was limited to rum cake, Black russian cake, and Italian cream cake. They had at least half a dozen different cupcake flavors but none with chocolate/fudge frosting, which I had been craving. The sides all looked wonderful, including the broccoli salad, a pasta salad, potato salad, tuna, and their house special turkey salad. We were there at 11am and had the place to ourselves, but by noon there was a long line, and the 8 or 9 tables inside were packed. They also have an outdoor covered seating area with plastic tables and chairs.

Wright's is in a strip shopping mall but pretty easy to find, particularly with a GPS. They have a faithful following of locals, with good reason, and are well worth a drive. In addition to sandwiches they also had a number of "ready to bake" dishes including chicken pot pie, lasagna, and a meat pie for takeout. They have a number of catering packages - I wish my company was located close enough to take advantage of that.

Wright's takes pride in their dishes - they roast the turkey for their turkey salad in-house - this isn't Boars Head! My friend yesterday had the large fruit salad and it was a beautiful bowl of cut fruit with a "sugary sauce'. Besides the Monte Cristo, the Beef Martini is very popular - rare roast beef with sauteed mushrooms - or the Bahama Baby with roast pork, ham, jarlsberg cheese, thinly sliced cucumber slices....yum! There's something for everyone here - and all fresh and delicious. Even though it's a 40 minute drive from my house, I will continue patronizing Wright's whenever I can. It's that good.

• Visited September 2011