“Was hoping for better” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Your Neighborhood Restaurant serving Steak and Seafood ...and so much more... Dine In or Call ahead for Take Out . We also cater. Looking forward to meeting and serving you.
Marietta
“Was hoping for better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I love to support local businesses so we tried Alison's restaurant. Overall it didn't feel really clean, nothing obvious, that's just how I felt. The server was not great, had to ask about the specials and then she didn't describe them well at all, or give prices which really irritates me. Food was ok all around, except for the chocolate mousse cake - wonderful.
Alison came by to say hello which was nice, just hope they step it up a little with the food and welcoming feeling by everyone, not just the owner. Was Saturday night at 7 and only about 7 tables so they need to pick it up!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I had half of my husband's steak quesadilla and half of my shrimp quesadilla. Both were very good, though I enjoyed the steak the most. The Mango Cheesecake -WOW! ... words cannot do it justice.
Very good food at reasonable prices, right in Dunwoody Village. I appreciate the clean facilities and would most definitely eat here again if I am in the area.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
HOOVER
“Nice, Quiet restaurant with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

It was a cold night and we were visiting the area from out of town. Not wanting to eat at a chain that we had at home, we consulted apps on our phones and found this restaurant. We ate very early as we had had a long day so it wasn't very crowded for dinner (it was 5pm). The food portions were very large, very good, and perfect to warm us up. I had the lobster ravioli and my husband had a burger and we finished it all. The service was very friendly and they had a wide selection of foods, wine and beer.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Always a relaxing, delicious pleasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We have been to Alison's many times, and it has been consistently wonderful. Last night we went for a leisurely meal with our 11 year old son and his friend. We were warmly greeted, got a table with no wait for patio seating, and the food was delicious. Casual, inviting atmosphere and sitting outside was just lovely. My husband had the crab cakes which he thoroughly enjoyed. I had the entree version of "Alison's Salad" with scallops. Greens were fresh, scallops seared to perfection and the dressing was divine and just the right amount. My son had a "Mac and Cheese Burger" which put him on cloud nine. He also had a side of broccoli to get some green stuff in him, with a healthy portion of fries just to balance things out. His friend who joined us has some food allergies so the staff took special care in talking with us and insuring that all his food was in accordance to his needs. Alison, our gracious hostess, stopped by to chat for a moment and to make sure everything was right. All in all a relaxed, perfect evening out.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cumming, Georgia
“Decent food, but horrible service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

We recently ate here with a group celebrating an occasion. It had been highly recommended to us by family members. Unfortunately, it did not live up to the hype it had received.
Atmosphere: It is a small neighborhood restaurant....nothing fancy. That also applies to the decor----very plain. The restaurant does offer patio seating in the front overlooking the parking lot.
Food: We sampled a large assortment of items on the menu. For the most part, everything was good. There is a wide variety of items to choose from to meet most any palate. My only complaint in this area deals with their crab cakes, which they advertise as their main house specialty. Unfortunately, the crab cakes were the worst items that we ordered. They were 90% breading and filler and very little crab.
Service: This is the area where the restaurant fell very very short. The service was some of the worst I have seen in a long time. We had called ahead days before to let them know the number of guests with our group and the time we would be arriving. When we arrived, they were not set up for us (even though the restaurant was 2/3 empty), and we were left to stand at the entrance waiting for 15 minutes. Once we were seated, we were only assigned one server for our group while the rest of staff hung around the bar and watched. From there, it went downhill quickly. Drink orders were consistently wrong, the food came out to the table at varying times so it was impossible to eat together. Food items were sent out incorrectly. When drink refills were requested, it was 10+ minutes for a response. When we requested our checks at the end of the meal, it took another 30 minutes to receive them, and all of them were wrong. We even brought our experiences to the attention of the owner, and she laughed it off. She was more interested in talking and cutting up with the locals at the bar than watching over the restaurant.

Overall, while the food was good, the service (or lack of) overshadows the experience. In an area saturated with dining alternatives, I would recommend going elsewhere.

• Visited May 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
AlisonsRestaurant, Owner at Alison's Restaurant, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Dear "Pepperhead." Sorry that your occasion did not meet your expectations. However, I am very surprised at some of your comments, as this is not the normal response that I have from my customers. Whilst I understand that not every one will enjoy everything I have to offer , most customers really enjoy my Crab Cakes that are made with Lump Crab and very little filler, which is one reason I was recently voted "Best Restaurant" in Dunwooody.

I would love to have the opportunity to talk to you in person about your experience as it really is not the way most people find our restuarant and I cannot imagine what went wrong the day you came. As the majority of my customers will testify I am constently walking around checking on food and if necessary, which is rarely, making adjustments . I am a very happy and personable owner, and I do chat with the regulars, which as a neighborhood restaurant is what they want. Sorry that you didn't feel you got the same attention.