“Worst Beds Ever!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta/Duluth

Save Saved
You added Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta/Duluth to your Saves list
Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta/Duluth
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3450 Venture Pkwy, I-85 at Exit 104-Pleasant Hill, Duluth, GA   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 23 hotels in Duluth
Atlanta, Georgia
“Worst Beds Ever!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Pros

Location was good
Front desk was
excellent
Ok hotel, looked fairly clean

Cons

This was not a 3 star, more like a 2
I love hot showers; I barely got a warm shower
Hotel near I-85 and so good luck with a good night sleep
The bed was hard as a rock!

I didn’t complain because I didn’t want to move my stuff again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sevierville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Booked this hotel via hotels.com and was able to secure a $10 per night less than the hotel itself. The hotels.com site said breakfast was NOT included, when in fact, a very nice layout of something other than toast was there! We were pleasantly surprised with the efficiency of the the staff, the quality of the room, the great location, and the breakfast! Would definitely book there again.

Room Tip: Nestled with other hotels, it had a good buffer from any highway noise. All rooms seem to be a good...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Vaughan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Super location( close to shopping, restaurant,golf,sightseeing and more), value(free great breakfast, fast wi-fi, flat tv, super clean rooms), and service( so helpful and kind) What else can you ask for more?
It's been just one of the best stay we ever had. We stayed there for a week and we will definately recommend to everyone who ask. TWO THUMBS UP !!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Clean hotel, polite staff, nice area, free breakfast, free wi-fi, good value.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Alachua, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

I travel extensively on business and average nearly one hundred nights per year in hotels. I have been staying with another chain for the past several years but an associate turned me on to Wingate in Greenville, SC recently. So I decided to try them on a visit to Gwinnett County.

This turned out, like the Greenville property, to be an excellent choice indeed. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet with bedding and linens of excellent quality. The room was unbelievably quiet considering the hotel's location right along busy I-85.

The price was very reasonable; I have paid much more and gotten much less from other chains. The breakfast was nothing fancy but was typical of similar properties. A good cup of coffee and a bowl of quality cereal is all I need to be happy and Wingate provided both. I do not expect an omelet or freshly-baked biscuits from a complimentary breakfast. But the well-stocked selection of Kellogg's cereals was more than adequate. The coffee was of at least average quality.

The wireless internet performed flawlessly during the entire duration of my four-night stay. The staff were also very pleasant.

I would definitely stay here again and, as a matter of fact, I registered for Wyndham's rewards program as I plan to stay with them on future trips to other cities.

Excellent is every respect!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

This Wingate was one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. My husband and I stayed for four nights and all of the staff we cam in contact with were exceptionally nice. Housekeeping was wonderful, our room was kept tidy and clean, the linens and towels were very high quality, and the bed slept like a dream! The room itself was surprisingly large and had lovely Neutrogena soaps, shampoos and lotions.

Breakfast is free and provided ample selections. Wi-fi was also free and was really fast. This hotel had a swimming pool that was outside (which we did not utilize) as well as a very large hot tub that was nice to relax in in the evenings.

There are tons of restaurants in the area and lots of ethnic choices available. We enjoyed both Korean and Indian food while we were here. Getting out of the hotel and back on the interstate was tricky the first time, but the gentleman at the front desk was most helpful in showing us the easiest way to go. After you do it once, it's really quite simple.

I can't recommend this place enough! The staff, the service and the room far exceeded our expectations, especially for the rate we paid. This is definitely our hotel of choice from now on.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Yakima, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

The Wingate in Duluth, GA is right off I-85 and about a 40-minute drive from the Atlanta airport (assuming that you drive the speed limit, none of the natives of Atlanta seem to do so). So, if you need to stay close to Atlanta then this property is probably not the right choice for you, but if you need to visit the various cities north of Atlanta then this place may just be the ticket.

We booked a week’s stay here through Priceline about 4 months ago in a package deal that included air, car and hotel. The trip was for us to visit my wife’s family who lives a few exits further north from Duluth.

We arrived in Atlanta in the early afternoon and after getting our rental car headed directly to the hotel. Our room was ready at the time we arrived. We were given a friendly greeting by the desk clerk and up to our room we headed. In typical Priceline fashion, we got a double, double bed room rather than a single king room. My wife and I weren’t interested in trying to get a different room so we stuck with what we got. For those who need to book a room with two beds, be advised that the double bed rooms at this property do not appear to be double queens, but rooms with two regular double beds.

The room was very spacious, necessary of course if you have to put two beds in a room. I can only assume that a single king room would be smaller. The facility also appeared to have been refreshed or remodeled inside the past couple of years. The facility had no dank odors typical of some business grade hotels I’ve stayed at.

The pool and hot tub were sparkling clean and certainly appeared well maintained. The exercise room had all the requisite equipment, even if the equipment wasn’t the most modern or much better than what could be purchased at a Sears. The business center was available 24 hours, but there was only one computer, and on the first day I tried to utilize it, it wouldn’t connect to the Internet. The next day it seemed up and running again. But also typical of a hotel of this caliber, the one computer was of a brand and quality that appeared to have been purchased at a Best Buy in a hurry and at the lowest price and had no additional security features or software on it at least not to my recognition. Needless to say I did little in the business center because of the condition of the computer and the unsecure feeling I got when using it.

The hotel had free Wi-Fi that worked very well. So well that I was able to watch streaming Netflix in the evenings prior to retiring for the night on an iPhone with no delays or buffering. If you bring your own computer, connecting to the Internet and actually being able to use it from your room shouldn’t be a problem. I don’t recall if the hotel offered a remote printing option for those that were utilizing in room Wi-Fi.

I have mixed feelings about the free “breakfast”. There were a few hot items available, but it was a typical continental breakfast. I found the mix of hot items very strange; scrambled egg “patties”, what appeared to be heat and serve sausage patties and a very mild sausage gravy. No biscuits were to be found anyplace on the breakfast bar, but other breads were there. They did have a self-serve waffle iron and you could make a pretty good waffle using the batter they provided. There was always a limited selection of fresh fruit, which was always in good condition along with juices, milk and coffee. Although the hotel did not advertise 24-hour coffee in the lobby, they typically kept the thermo pots out until they were empty in the evening.

In room amenities were typical. The in-room coffee maker worked well and the pods the hotel provided were better than I’m used to. A huge plus, the housekeeper we had replaced our used coffee materials with new ones every day. You don’t know how many places I’ve had a multiple day stay and the coffee service was never replaced after it had been used.

I was especially pleased with how well housekeeping kept our room tidy. It was also impressive how clean the towels were. All towels and washcloths were bright, white and quite plush. It certainly appeared that a lot of care and concern went into laundry service at the Wingate.

I’m not too complimentary of the bed in the room. I felt that the bed was pretty much worn out, or at least wasn’t a particularly good one to begin with. I have come to expect low quality beds in just about all hotels I stay in, regardless of the age of the facility or the grade of hotel. Any more all I ask for is no infestations and clean linens, and it helps if the hotel has decided to abandon bedspreads, those things are huge germ and bug traps.

But this is where the place really stands out. After our week in the Atlanta area we flew home. Shortly after getting in our front door we started unpacking and realized that we left behind a couple pairs of new shoes we purchased on the trip. Feeling very depressed at what might be a permanent loss; we called the hotel to see if the housekeeping staff had located them. Being that we were calling them the evening we got home and there is a 3-hour difference we got the night desk manager and were told that nothing was in lost and found and that if housekeeping had found anything it would be there. However, we were advised to call back the next day during the day ship and the manager would take our call.

We called the next morning and got the manager, explained our situation and he promised to call back. Less than 10 minutes later we received a call back indicating that housekeeping hadn’t found anything, in our room, however the bag of shoes were found by the manager in the dumpster. It turns out that housekeeping didn’t rummage through what we left behind; they just disposed of it. I’m not sure how I really feel about that, but we were glad to hear that the shoes were found and in good shape. Our relatives in Atlanta picked them up from the hotel.

I’m especially thankful for the extra effort the manager put into going through the trash to find items we should have been smart enough to take care of on our own. Between the clean room, clean towels and linens, the attention to replacing coffee service and used soap and the extra effort to take care of a mistake my wife and I made, this place really did impress us. It certainly overshadows any issues I may have had with bed comfort or the free breakfast in the morning. We would book here again without question.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the building are closer to both the elevator and the stairs which go dire...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta/Duluth? Share your experiences!