“Delicious!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 165 Restaurants in Douglasville
Douglasville, Georgia
“Delicious!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We were invited (by some friends at church a couple of weeks ago) to go to Tony's Mexican Grill for lunch, but had other plans. One of them mentioned that the tamales were wonderful there. My husband LOVES tamales (me...meh--not a favorite), so the other night we decided to try it out. We were greeted promptly with big smiles and welcomes, and told we could sit anywhere. After being seated, almost immediately a beaker of salsa and a basket of chips were whisked to our table. They were GREAT! (Disclaimer here: if you do not like hot salsa, you will not like theirs!!! I like it pretty hot--but it was even a little to hot for me!) The flavor was simply delicious (another disclaimer here: if you don't like cilantro, you probably won't like their salsa!) but whoo-hooo, it is really spicy hot. The chips were fresh, crunchy, and warm--just perfect. Our waitress was so very nice and very attentive, as well. She answered our questions satisfactorally (as in "what is a 'tostaguac'?) and when I ordered, I asked for no 'red sauce' to be put on my enchilada. She looked a bit concerned and asked, "have you ever had our red sauce here?? It is not like the 'red sauce' you are used to...the owner makes it from scratch every day and it is just delicious! So, feeling adventurous, I said okay--I'll try it.
When the food arrived it was piping hot and delish! She was right about the 'red sauce'--it was nothing like what you get on a standard Mexican food plate. It is a thick, reddish brown sauce, which is reminiscent of tamales! While I wouldn't say I absolutely adored it, I will say that it is a giant step up from 'red sauce' The tostaguac is a flat tortillia spread with refried beans, then has lettuce, a bit of chopped onion, guacamole, grated white cheese, and a slice of tomato on top. It was YUMMY!!! My favorite of all!!!! The iced tea we were served is probably the best in Douglasville--it was sooooo good! I wish I'd asked what brand it was--as it had NO bitterness at all.
My spouse said the tamales were wonderful--and just like the ones he used to get from the tamale stand in Natchez, MS when he was a kid. All in all, we LOVED the food at Tony's and will be going back soon!

• Visited February 2014