“Great food and service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 160 Restaurants in Douglasville
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Grill, Family Fare
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Thursday lunch chicken and dumplings-DELICIOUS! Sometimes veggies seem to be reheated in microwave but still good quality food.

Stavanger, Rogaland, Norway
“Amazing place! I loved it :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I just had to write a review about this place because I think that amazing service and great quality food should be rewarded and others should know about this place so that they can try it out.
We were staying at the festival site for Tomorrowworld which was in Chattahoochee Hills and felt the need to get some real food after a couple of great days at the festival, so we decided to take a little trip around the area and see if we find some good places to have lunch at. We did not realize that most places would open after 12 (I guess that’s when everybody comes home from church?), but when our GPS led us to Chapel Hills we were greeted by the door of Burke’s Grill which opened at 11 AM and chose to have our lunch here.
We were greeted in a most lovely manner and immediately loved the home style and very comfortable atmosphere here. I felt like I was on a family visit at my granma’s house and that certainly is what Burke’s Grill is going for, you feel you’re family from the moment you enter :)
The waitress was lovely and very professional and when our food came the chef insisted that we’d get their amazing mac n’ cheese side to try for free on top of our other sides that we ordered. The food was absolutely delicious and tasted nothing like any other fast food I’ve tried. They also serve several meat/fish and so on dishes which sounded sooo tasty as well, but unfortunately there just was not enough space in our bellies to try all of it :)
In the end we were stuffed but did not at all feel rushed to leave because it just was so comfortable and nice to sit there and relax after your meal. Everybody here makes you feel at home. This place is a very down to earth, home style, easy and comfortable eatery with wonderful employees and delicious food that deserves to actually be treaten like a 5 star restaurant even though it doesn’t look like one. The service is most professional and you can taste that the food was made with love. Here you feel very much appreciated as a customer and that’s what I usually like so much about the US, but Burkes Grill really topped every place I have been before. I’d rather come back to Chapel Hill and have much lunch here than going back to any restaurant I’ve been at in Las Vegas, Los Angeles or Miami.
I hope the lovely staff of Burkes Grill gets to read this because you guys deserve some praise :)

Douglasville, Georgia
“Maybe its just me....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

After reading the effusive and enthusiastic reviews for Burke's Grill on tripadvisor, we were anticipating some amazing and exceptional food. Perhaps our expectations were too high, or maybe they were having an 'off' day, but, I'm sorry to say that it was just 'okay', and not one of those meals where you say, "Wow! If this dish is so good, then perhaps everything else is, too, so I'm coming back to find out!".
First, other reviewers spoke of the staff's friendliness, and I can attest to that. We were greeted at the door by a man I assumed must be Mr. Burke, and our waitress was both friendly and efficient. So, for that, they get five stars. However, that's not the main reason people eat in a restaurant. Friendly staff is a great bonus, for sure, but a lot of us will overlook somewhat surly waiters/waitresses IF the food warrants it. By the same token, very friendly, kind, and efficient staff cannot overcome so-so food. So, lets talk about the food....
The reviews mentioned the cajun dishes, and since both of us are from the Gulf Coastal region, we are always looking for good cajun food that is not just regular food drowned in 'Cajun Seasoning'. So, we naturally wanted to try their cajun food. My husband ordered the Shrimp Creole, and he rated it at a '5 out of 5' (however, he is not exactly what you'd call a 'connoisseur', though, as I'm not sure if I know of anything he won't eat...take that back. He speaks of something called "Kim-chi" he tasted while stationed in Germany, which he says was horrible. So, I guess anything short of Kim-chi, he will eat. I, on the other hand, am admittedly, very 'picky' and will not--no, CAN not eat something I dislike strongly. It is for this reason and this reason alone that I am not at least 100 lb heavier :-).
I ordered the shrimp & grits. As a side I happily ordered the fried okra--after asking the waitress if it was of the frozen variety. She assured me that they battered it themselves. My husband ordered the 'veggie of the day' which was sauteed zucchini with onions. We each. ordered a salad with ranch dressing, and afterwards I decided to try the coconut cream pie that one reviewer said was "to die for".
The shrimp & grits (which came with a salad and one side or, 2 sides) were in a salad/flat soup bowl, with shrimp around the rim (didn't think to count how many, but I'd say maybe 7-8?) with a thick, opaque, gravy-like sauce over it all. It was piping hot--no, change that to FLAMING hot! Not pepper, mind you, but so hot you would burn your tongue in a flash. Altho the menu cautioned that the dish may be spicy hot, I didn't find it at all spicy or hot. The spices were very good, and the shrimp tender and succulent. The grits had a very good taste and they had lots of cheese in them.
So now you're wondering why I would give them only 3 stars, right? Well, here's why:
1. The grits were swimming in butter...literally. It was standing in the bowl and in pockets all over the grits. I love butter, I really do. But this was more than just 'buttery', it put the dish over into the 'greasy' category. Too much of a good thing, and I couldn't eat much of it. I did eat all the shrimp, but I probably did that only because the dish cost $13.00....quite a price tag for grits with a few shrimp on it. However that salad was very good, with their homemade croutons. The fried okra? Hmmmmmm.....I'd really like to see them batter it, as it looks just like the frozen kind, and tasted just like it, too. Now I'm not saying they don't batter their own okra, I'm just saying that to me, it appeared and tasted like the frozen kind. I've been frying okra for many years, and home-fried okra generally looks very different (and tasted WAY better) than frozen. So, the shrimp & grits get a 3 star composite: 5 for the flavor, minus 2 for the standing butter/oil/grease. Very unappetizing, at the least. The okra gets the same...if it wasn't frozen okra, then they should throw in the towel and buy frozen okra in bulk, because I couldn't tell the difference.
Finally, the coconut pie. I love desserts, and I love to MAKE desserts, and, I'm told I make wonderful ones. So, I figured that I wouldn't think the pie was 'to die for', but I did expect 'exceptional', at the very least...but....
(the crust was definitely not baked long enough. It was almost the same color as the filling, and very doughy. Not a fan of that, at all. Secondly, the coconut used in the pie filling has to be the hardest and most 'stringy' coconut I've had in years. It was definitely not 'Baker's Coconut', LOL! While the flavor of the pie was very good, the texture was rough and stringy, and the undercooked crust was a big put-off. The 'meringue' was whipped topping, which I am more than 'ok' with, but the pie itself was a huge disappointment. Would not order it again. Ever. And I like coconut pie...I just would like it made with a more tender coconut or even frozen fresh grated coconut, with is cheaply and easily purchased at Walmart. I ate maybe 1/4 of the slice (not to worry, hubby finishes up after me :-) but chewing that stringy coconut made eating any more not worth the effort.
All in all, what we got, in my opinion, was NOT worth the final ticket price (including 20% tip) of $41+. We could've gotten a couple of really nice ribeyes at Texas Road House for that amount! But, it wasn't the worst food I've ever had for that price, either. So, in conclusion, Burke's was a disappointment, and probably because of the hype about it led us to believe it was going to be exceptional, while it remains unpretentiously average.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic food, friendly owners!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband & I go here almost once or twice a wk. to enjoy a good home cooked meal. Shrimp & grits, fried catfish or chicken, steak, "Double D" burger & fries...one lb. beef & one lb. fries! Also, lemon-basil chicken, tilapia, D-villy philly, chicken n' dumplings, chuckwagon steak & many other yummy dishes as well as made from scratch desserts. You should give them a try.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Outstanding food and great staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We tried this place based on TripAdvisor reviews and were extremely pleased! Every dish had great flavor. We had the Philly, the grilled shrimp salad, classic cheeseburger, and veggie platter. All were delicious. They use very fresh meats and veggies and it makes a difference. The owner and family are super friendly. Good choice of beers and wines. Highly recommended!

• Visited August 2013