“Great consistant BBQ Joint !!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 160 Restaurants in Douglasville
Cuisines: Barbecue
DOUGLASVILLE
“Great consistant BBQ Joint !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Not really a big fan of "Franchise" BBQ as I prefer to find the little local joints when I travel and sample the local twist on BBQ. However, a coupon brought me here and I was plesantly surprised at the warm atmosphere, great food and friendly service. I have been to location three times and each visit was a great experience. I also took advantage of signing up for their text coupons and vistor check in program and already got two reduced meals and on next visit I will get a free sandwich. The sauces are the basics but good, the pulled pork and BBQ chsicken are very good and the Big Daddy sandwich will put a smile on your face. Hey, in a hurry and want good BBQ, this place fits the bill!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Douglasville, Georgia
“Excellent Barbeque”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We visited Shane's in Douglasville for lunch, having read really good reviews on Tripadvisor. Since their specialty is ribs, that's what I wanted to try. So, I ordered the half rack of ribs ($13,99), and for my two sides, chose potato salad and baked beans. The girl at the counter was wonderful--a true credit to Shane's, with a beautiful infectious smile--super friendly and helpful. She answered all our questions, such as: Is the potato salad homemade or is it bought pre-made? Her reply: 'homemade-made with red skin potatoes, and very good!' And she was spot-on...it was probably one of the best potato salads I've ever had in a restaurant. Also: Are the baked beans good...and not just pork & beans out of a can and served as a side? Answer: No! They are really good! Again, spot-on, they were very good.
The ribs were very meaty, extremely tender, and all around good. They come with sauce basted already on them, which I am assuming is their 'original' sauce. They offer 4 different types: Original, Spicy, Hot, and Mustard. While waiting for our food, I took a paper towel (there's a whole roll placed conveniently at each table), folded it several times and placed about a tsp of each of the sauces in a row in the order they were placed in the rack on the table. We then tasted each of them to compare. The original, in my opinion, was the very best, so that worked out well. The spicy wasn't a lot different, but less sweet, and like most southerners, I like my BBQ sauce 'smokey & sweet'. The hot seemed like the spicy with a little more heat, and the mustard was just....awful. Sour and not at all sweet--but, hey--KC barbeque-loving people will probably love it. I just don't like mustard based sauces. I like mustard on a hot dog or a corn dog, but not on my barbeque, but that's a personal preference, so the mustard sauce may be 'amazing' to someone who likes sour barbecue. I personally find it amazing that anyone would eat it at all, but again...imho.
Hubby go the pork plate ($8.99), mac & cheese, and fried okra--with an extra side of Brunswick stew. He said it was all five stars, and I did taste his pork, which was tender and good. For me, personally, I like my 'pulled pork' to be 'pulled' in chunks, not shredded, so I probably wouldn't order that. It also comes with sauce on it, and I prefer to add my own sauce. The Brunswick stew looked more like the homemade version I tasted years ago when living in AL, rather than the 'baby food' Brunswick stew that seems popular in GA. I tasted it and it was very good. I'm not a big fan of Brunswick stew to start with, but this was the only one in recent years that I would actually eat. There is just something about pureed food that reminds me of nursing home food for patients with swallowing difficulty, so those pureed Brunswick stews? I'll pass...(yuk)
I opted for Coke Zero to drink and hubby got the iced tea, which he was not a fan of. He said it was soured. When we were getting our drinks, I noticed a container that said 'Peach Tea' but there was a cup over the handle. However, before we left, they had obviously made more and he got some. It was outstanding! Really, really good. He says it was 'unbelievable!'
I must say that Shane's is the best barbeque thus far in our new home of GA, but we'll always be on the lookout for better and better. Seems we're always looking for another 'Melears', which we used to eat when visiting GA for years. Their barbeque pork was the model for all others--(but I still didn't like their baby food Brunswick stew!)
As we were leaving, the delightful young lady at the counter beamed at us and asked how we enjoyed it. I told her she was right about the potato salad and beans and that we enjoyed it. She replied, "Next time you've GOT to try the peach cobbler...it is wonderful!" And I'll bet she's right...next time I will!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good Fun Fast Service and Great Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

You have to be good in order to make good BBQ especially when you are in the south, Shanes is one of the best chain restruants that we have ate at in a while. The BBQ pork sandwish is a GREAT size for the value, you can only eat one for sure. We have also ordered take out from Shanes and it is always quick and easy as take out shluld be.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pikeville, North Carolina
“Quick lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time at Shane's. The food was good. I got a chicken salad and my husband got the pulled pork sandwich with fries. The atmosphere is more "fast food" than I expected but it was clean(restrooms included) and the staff were personable. Not bad for a quick lunch.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Georgia
“Best BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We love Shane's BBQ. Consistently good. No gristle in the meat, they don't burn the pork either. Love their sauce (buy it to use at home). Good sides. Good value.

Visited August 2013