“What a Waste” 2 of 5 stars

3371 GA Hwy 253 South, Donalsonville, GA 39845   |
Cairo, Georgia
“What a Waste”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We have always liked camping at Trails End but probably won't be back. We have a 5th wheel camper. My husband, sons and grandchildren like to camp there because they can fish and hunt the WMA. Our last trip we fished some and the guys thought they would deer hunt but the managers or care takers spent the night and early morning running the golf cart all over the campgrounds and woods until early morning. Of course running any wildlife far away for that morning.
We also had a hard time finding the persons in charge when we arrived. Store was closed most of the time, restaurant was closed. When we ask why the rates had gone up we were told because campers now had cable......but didn't work at this time.
I don't think I'd have wanted to stay in cabins either as two of them had mattresses out on porch area even during a rain shower.
A waste of what could be a good place for sportsmen and women.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Couples
Solo
Business
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

My husband and I were so excited to stay in the house-boats (trailers) floating on Lake Seminole with my brother (a serious bass fisherman) and his wife for 4 nights. It was very easy to make the reservation by phone,, and we were guaranteed a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath..as a matter of fact,, we were told that we would get to stay in the "model" home. I called the day before and was told check in was at 1:00pm.. We arrived at 1:30 to find the store (where you also picked up your key) locked,,,and a couple people were waiting in the parking lot.. so apparently the poor girl that mans the store also cleans the trailers and cabins. She arrived on a golf cart only to tell us that our rental was being show to potential buyers,, and they would put us in another 3 bedroom,, but unfortunately it was not cleaned yet.. No problem,, we will wait and enjoy the beautiful scenery and perfect weather. About 30 minutes later,, we unloaded into our houseboat to find 1 regular sized bedroom, 2 extremely small bedrooms, both with bunkbeds (lower was full sized, upper was twin) absolutely no room for a suitcase,, thank goodness we didn't need to top bunk,, so we could put our luggage there... We both had a sink and a toilet,, and shared an extremely small stand up shower,, which could only be accessed properly through one of the bathrooms,, unless you were a size 3 and could squeeze through the doorway. Our bathroom had no towel rack,, and what looked like a linen closet but was an AC unit. We had to drape our towel on our bunk bed. My brother's 18 year old daughter came for the weekend, so we were unable to access the 3rd bedroom for luggage, etc.
I could absolutely get used to the smallness,,, but we were given 1 towel each,, and 1 wash cloth for the entire house boat. Oh, also were were given NO kitchen dish towels or rags to do dishes at all. There were NO garbage bags either. The kitchen was so poorly stocked. There were 4 drinking glasses,, and I was cracked down the side. In the utensil drawer was a fork that was so caked with grease,, I could not believe it. We immediately washed all the utensils and glasses.
I understand each unit is individually owned.. and I am sure that another unit would have everything one could need for a marvelous weekend,, but stay away from Unit 70.
My brother kept his boat tied up behind the houseboat for the 4 days,, which was SO convenient...but all the other boats seemed to have a grill on the porch,, except #70.
This is really a beautiful property,,, and for a fishing weekend,,, it is perfect... We were just disappointed to spend $1013. for 4 days,, and be so inconvenienced with the daily living needs.
Would I stay again? Probably would VRBO a house next time,, or at least be more demanding on a nicer unit. Also,, every single time we ventured up to the store,, it was locked up,,, with the poor girl zipping up in the golf cart if you are patient enough to wait.
Oh,, and the restaurant was CLOSED our entire stay... apparently this property is under new management or so we were told. They need to really work on customer service and cleanliness... Out of all the houseboats (around 25-30 maybe?) only 3,, yes 3 had people in them..

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Cove at Trails End? Share your experiences!