“Great visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dillard House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dillard
Dillard House
You added Dillard House to your Saves list
768 Franklin Street, Dillard, GA 30537   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Dillard B&B and Inns
Lexington, South Carolina
“Great visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was our 4th visit to the Dillard House, but our first time staying in a chalet. The chalet was perfect. This was a relaxing and overall awesome place to stay. The bed was extremely comfortable. The restaurant for the Dillard house was excellent. There was a seafood buffet one night that had every imaginable seafood and combinations, grilled, fried and broiled. My husband doesn't eat seafood, so there was the regular menu for him. Service was great. There is not much to in the city of Dillard, but there is a lot to do within a short distance. We mostly chose to relax and enjoy the peace and luxury at a great price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed in a chalet for our 25th anniversary and were very excited about what we saw on the Dillard website. The chalets looked very romantic with the hot tub and the fire place. These actually turned out to be two of the biggest disappointments. The hot tub has no functional controls. It just stays on all the time which is very noisy and you have no control over the temperature. The smell of chemicals from the hot tub was throughout the entire chalet and was overpowering. The smells actually made my wife ill the entire next day. The only way you could get any quiet in the room was to find the electrical panel in a closet and flip off the breaker for the hot tub. The smell, however, remained. The bathrooms were very tiny. I mean really tiny. You had to sit crooked on the toilet to keep your knees from hitting the vanity. No stopper in the sink. My wife ran out of hot water while taking a shower and she was the first one in. The fireplace was an incredible disappointment. The grate was very small and did not fit much more than the kindling they provided (which was actually very large for kindling). The damper in the chimney was broken and took several minutes to be pushed up out of the way. The wood they provided was very green an/or very wet. No wood was stocked in the fireplace area so it could be dry for the guests, but on the porch where it could get wet in the rain, which it did. The lighter provided was disfunctional. We bought our own. No newspaper was provided to help start the fire. We went to the Piggly Wiggly and took an entire stack of the store ads (with the store's permission, of course). The green and wet logs they provided were too large for the very small grate in the large fire place. No matter how many times we tried, we could not get the fire to keep lit. We even went outside and collected sticks for our own kindling which worked much better than what they provided, but we could not overcome the green and wet wood. So the two biggest draws to these chalets turned out to be the biggest joke. The provide nothing in the kitchen, not even filters for the coffee pot. So if you are staying one or two nights, you are still going to the local store to stock up everything. The dishwashing soap container was rather humorous. They must have been trying to ration. It was a trial size and was only one quarter full. These chalets are old and in much need of repair. Cold air pours in around all of the doors. The locks are not very secure and there are no dead bolts. The whole floor slanted down hill. We couldn't even eat at the famous Dillard house Restaurant because "Managment" decided they were too slow and closed the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. So we were on our own with an empty kitchen. The place itself is certainly cute, but everything else about the Dillard House Operations is unprofessional and a huge diappointment. I will never recommend anyone stay here or eat here.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the chalets. If you want a fireplace, go to the Mountain High Lodge in Highlands...
Carnesville, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at here on Valentines Weekend in one of the Chalets. We had to wait 45 minutes to check in because they were still cleaning the chalet. Then we found out that they drain and refill the hot tub after every guest. I am all for cleanliness, but that was definately going to dampen our plans to get in it as soon as we got in the cabin. We finally got clearance to get to the cabin, which is 2 miles off site from the rest of the Dillard Property. We were excited to get into the cabin with our romantic fire and hot tub. 4:00pm and the hot tub is at 63 degrees. so we build a fire in the beautiful rock fireplace. It was mostly poplar wood, so my hubby dug through the wood pile to find some oak so that our fire didn't sound sound like a gangster movie with gun fire every two seconds. After relaxing for a couple of hours, we started thinking of dinner. 6:30 comes around and we look at the menu that we have to work with from the Dillard House Restaurant. And trust me, I get that they are a Cracker Barrel on steroids, but I would have liked to have had a choice of something not chicken or chicken fried. and it closes at 7:30. Waste of time. Checked the hot tub again, 78 degrees. Thought about just going to the local Piggly Wiggly to get some stuff to cook for dinner. We could get a steak and eat in, right? So my hubby goes to check the grill, no charcoal or lighter fluid. Really? I am paying $250 for this chalet tonight, and when we start inspecting what is supposed to be a full kitchen, there is no coffee or filters. There is no paper towels or napkins, no cleaning supplies short of the minute bottle of dawn dish detergent on the sink the size of hand sanitizer you would keep in your purse. We get frustrated and decide to just find a restaurant in town to get to go. So I go check on the hot tub yet again. 84 degrees. I am getting mad at this point, because I wanted to be able to spend decent amount of time in that tub since you pay generously for the ones with versus the ones without. We order dinner, drive nearly 20 miles to town to get dinner and return to the chalet. We eat our dinner by the fire on the coffee table and are trying to make the best of it. There is no ipod dock or anything like that so if you want music like we did, you will have to turn on the TV to get the cable channel guide for ambience. Guess what? The hot tub finally reached a 106 degrees at 10:30pm. Then after we spent about 30 minutes in it, we went to bed. The tub started making an awful noise. I went to the tub (which is INSIDE the chalet in what would have been a bedroom) and smell burning wires. there is no on/off switch on this thing, so my husband has to go to the fuse panel and flip the breaker to turn it off. we call down to the desk and the man who answers the phone says "he'll put it on the list" What does that mean?
It is then that I relize why there are rugs and mats around the tub and down the hall. Evidently whoever drained the tub, missed getting the connector secured and drowned the carpet around it.
Over all---the decor and fixtures are very circa 1989, brass, hunter green carpet and counter tops etc. Looked like the bathrooms had been renovated, nice exterior and wonderful porch with rocking chairs. I expected with being that far out in the sticks and the whole world closes at 7pm they should tell you that you that you need to bring everything with you like you are primitive camping. got a 10% discount at checkout... really???

Macon, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed in the Rabun Bald section of The Dillard House, and I have to say that the room itself was nice. Granted, it wasn't $140 nice, but it was better than it looked judging from the outside. As some one else on this site mentioned, it did seem like a "glorified motel" from the outside. I know that these were probably built in the 50's, so I don't want to be too harsh on them. The "deck" with two chairs out back is shared with all the other guests. The bathrooms are nice with the bath tub/separate shower combo. Beds are soft and comfy. My only real complaint is with the adjoining restaurant that everyone boasts about.

We apparently came during an off season, and it was 8pm...however, no one told us that they were closing the kitchen down less than 30 minutes after we got to the restaurant. After giving us a "ticket" to wait, when there wasn't anyone in waiting and only two tables in the dining room...we were finally called and then basically rushed to get our food and then told that they were closing the kitchen...and asking if there was anything else we would like. When asked when they close, they just told us that it "depends" on how busy they are. I'm sorry, but if my friends and I are spending $25/person on a seafood buffet, we are expecting the same service that the person had that was coming in at the beginning of the day. It's unfair to charge those kind of prices for a buffet and then pretty much hurry us to finish. The hostess should have had the common decency to have at least informed us that they were planning on closing early. One of my friends complained several times to several people and no one did anything except laugh it off. Even a "Oh no please! Take you time!" would have been nice to hear. Save your money and eat at Cracker Barrel. Much better service and food...I used to work there.

Also...I know that a lot of people seem to have good memories of the "Dillard House," I just feel as though they have lost something along the way. You can tell when a once beloved family- owned business looses the heart that the original owners put into it. I feel like the new owners have taken advantage of decades of loyal patrons. Literally feel liked some one raped my wallet all around. It was okay for a one time deal, but I won't be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tignall,ga.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed in the king fireplace suite. The picture looked great, but....it was not as nice as the picture. The porch was a long deck coming off each room, you sat within 6ft of your neighbor. The fire would not stay lite and the walls were paper thin. I was very disapointed.

Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We found ourselves caught in a snow storm while coming down from Highlands headed west toward Blairsville. The road from Highlands was really icy and slippery so we decided to err on the side of caution and stop for the night. Well, we were not alone in this decision ... I think most of the hotel guests were there for the same reason. The staff treated all of us extremely well. Unfortunately there was no place to pick up a toothbrush or other overnight necessities and these items were not available on site. Our room was clean and fresh. In the morning it was still snowing and management offered us a late check-out to allow for the weather to clear. Dinner was fun - we passed on breakfast (who can eat breakfast after a Dillard House dinner?) - it was a good experience and a great adventure!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Marietta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The view overlooking the pasture and riding stables was very nice. If you like southern, down home cooking there is no place better. Room was nice and the bed very comfortable. Many sites to see in the area and nice shops to visit

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dillard House? Share your experiences!