“It is what it is” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dillard House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dillard
Dillard House
You added Dillard House to your Saves list
768 Franklin Street, Dillard, GA 30537   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Dillard B&B and Inns
Sewickley, PA
“It is what it is”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

As others have noted, this is not a grand hotel, nor does it pretend to be. It's basically a lodge with the rooms spread among several buildings. The rooms are good-sized, clean and comfortable, although the decor is dated - which I suspect is intentional. Likewise, the bathrooms are 80s vintage and best described as functional. The staff are pleasant and the location in the hills of north Georgia very pretty. Most people come for the quiet and the food. As to the latter, it is plentiful and served family style. I've been coming here every October for the same meeting for the past 15 years, three or four days at a time, so I can advise going into training for two weeks prior to arriving and pacing yourself so as to survive the sheer quantity of food you will be served. Dillard is the fried food capital of the south - perhaps the planet - and if they ever find a way to fry coffee it will be done here with great verve, so be sure to bring much Nexium and take a double dose. The food itself is good but not great; menus are irrelevant: sit down and they will bring food; eat one bite and they will bring more food. Don't worry about it; don't complain. Eat. Carefully and slowly. Then take a long walk and admire the scenery. Don't forget your pill. When you get home, diet for a week.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Look, let's face it. If you're looking for a 5 star hotel, go somewhere else. However, if you're looking for an affordable family night or two away this is a great deal. We stayed in the Old Dillard House which is the original inn on the property. They have several buildings. Some brand spanking new and some older. It's definitely not a quaint, secluded get away. There's animals on the property and horses so a great family place especially for small kids. The restaurant has been featured on some TV show so folks line up to get a meal there. I'm not much into quantity over quality so we skipped the restaurant. It's typical Southern fare and if you're not from the South you should give it a try. We did buy the local cider (blackberry and cherry) and loved it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Brooksville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

OK, where to begin. Three of us ate lunch there, the food was old and dried out, they never served us the variety that was posted on the board (even though you inquire about them), for the chicken they gave us 3 little chicken wings, the waitress spilled water all over the table and never cleaned it up. We asked for our dessert to go, and it was dripping out of the container all over the place.

When we checked into the room and were getting ready for bed, there were rat droppings in the beds. There were even fruit flies in the room, and AGAIN, nothing was done about this.

I e-mailed Dillard House (I didn’t want to do it while we were checking out because there were people checking in and standing at the counter so I was not going to scare more customers away, but now I wish I had for the way the Dillard House is treating everyone) and was dealing with the person running the place (Suppose to have been the owners daughter) and she e-mailed me and said "My father owns the place and has been very sick; I will get back with you on Friday". I responded back and said "I hope all turns out well with your father". Well, Friday came and went, in fact 2 Fridays came and went and still heard nothing. I e-mailed her again and asked what she decided and I was ignored. I even contacted the BBB and they contacted the Dillard House, and to our surprise, she never even answered the BBB. This place employs downright rude people that you cannot even handle a customer’s complaint. This place needs to be shut down or maybe new owners will treat people better. Stay far away from this place; it was not worth the time, effort or aggravation to get there. Find somewhere else to stay. This is most likely why they want payment a week before you even check in because they know people will not want to stay if they pay when they get there.

I am not the only disappointed customer either; take a look at the other posts of customers that were not happy.

Room Tip: I would plan a vacation away from Dillard House. Stay away!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed in mid-September, was at Dillard House during the week for a short vacation & trip to visit antique shops in Dillard and Franklin. Was not crowded, seemed to be many vacancies. Did not have the issues with crowds that other reviewers have mentioned. No noise issues or people walking by the patio or door. Room was cozy, spacious, two beds, comfortable easy chairs and a table, microwave, coffee maker, and refrigerator. Overhead lighting plus several lamps. Flat screen TV with cable and a DVD player. Wi-fi was slow but expected that in a mountain retreat! Sliding doors opened to a small patio area with two rocking chairs - view of the mountains and the pasture, very restful and peaceful. The room was clean, absolutely no complaints. It was an older hotel room that was a bit dated in decor and the bathroom and fixtures were older but quite clean. Towels smelled fresh and were plentiful. It did rain during the stay but even with the dampness outside, did not notice a mildew smell in the room. Enjoyed the colorful flowers around the buildings and the landscaping. Also, liked being able to park very close to the room - could pull up right in front of the door. Did not use the pool or tennis courts but they looked well maintained. The room had a entry key card with a magnetic strip, and there was a deadbolt. However, there was not an additional chain lock or sliding bolt and the "peep hole" to check outside was placed so high in the door that it was of no use. Recommend going to the Dillard House's website and viewing their pictures and videos of the rooms. I felt they were accurate.

Room Tip: Check the website, watch the video "tours" of the rooms and check out the property map so...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Gainesville GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Large Living area ,bed room and bath with tub ans shower and walk in glass enclosed shower. Rocking chairs and covered porch, small undercounter refrigerator, sink, and microwave. some rooms have large fireplaces with wood supplied for the some time cold evenings.
Rooms vary in size and facilities. The rooms are in 6 different buildings, each with a ice etc room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I would never stay there. It was dark, dinghy and smelled of mildew. Not even healthy to stay there. We complained and they gave us another chalet. It was the same. We asked for a refund as we wanted to leave. They refused to give us a refund. Very poor customer service!! Definitely would not recommend a chalet.

Stayed September 2012
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights in the chalet village over Labor Day for his birthday. I remembered eating in the restaurant as a child and assumed all would be fine.

Our check in was not overly friendly, and they heavily pushed the Labor Day meals. As we arrived at the chalet, it was dark and very poorly lit. Rustic is a nice way to describe the chalet--it is run-down, poorly maintained, and over priced.

The chalet itself smelled horrible. A mix of mildew, mold and smoke, and my husband and I are both sick from it. The door did not have a deadbolt, and it did not close properly. The carpet and rugs were threadbare and stained. The bed sunk in the middle and was very uncomfortable. The bathroom had 2 small bars of soap, no plugs, and the door knob was falling off. The air filter was completely clogged and gray. The "upstairs" was accessible by essentially a ladder. We should have immediately called the front desk but it was late and had early plans the next day. Once we were settled did not feel like dealing with it.

I was not expecting the $1.50 cable charge--it was not in our reservation emails. I did get one night of this charge removed as the cable was out one day. The front desk clerk was very rude as I questioned this charge and described our other issues.

My husband and I often stay in small B&B or motels without problems. This is by far the worst experience, and I only wish I had read the reviews prior to making our reservation. I cannot believe we spent $330 for this experience--memorable at least.

Room Tip: Avoid the chalets
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dillard House? Share your experiences!