“Good food and plenty of it!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Buffet, Dessert
Montgomery, Alabama
“Good food and plenty of it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

I ate at the Dillard House last week while visiting NE Georgia/ SW North Carolina on a "girls' trip." As the price for dinner (after 5) was higher than for lunch, we chose to have a late lunch around 3 on a weekday. I believe it cost about $20 pp for lunch, but our vacation rental office gave us a discount coupon so we paid about $17 each. The four of us were immediately seated at a table near the windows with a nice view. Our meal included fried chicken, barbecued chicken, barbecued ribs, country fried steak, country ham, and at least a dozen side dishes. The country fried steak was too tough, but, with so much food to choose from, we were surprised at how good it all tasted. The server brought boxes for us and we enjoyed another full meal from the left-overs. Although I can't imagine dining here frequently, it was worth the visit and we all enjoyed it very much.

• Thai first
Florida
“What wonderful meals!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

We stayed at the Dillard House in September 2010 and enjoyed both dinner and breakfast there. I can't say enough about the service and food! Everyone was so attentive!! And the food was just normal down-home cooking. Foodies might not like it, but for us 'regular folk' it was a dream! Exactly the food I grew up on. It reminded me of my grandmother's (southern KY woman) cooking! They had a small bowl of pepper relish on the table that was wonderful! It really was just like my grandmother made! I was wary of buying a jar from the gift shop, fearing it probably wasn't the same as what they served. I was wrong. It was absolutely the same.

When I saw the menu (pictures attached) I thought, 'there's NO way they can serve you ALL this food'... but, again, I was wrong!

The breakfast includes a continental bar that was pretty amazing in itself!

Next week i'm going to be in Atlanta and am making a special trip just to go back to the Dillard House.

I've attached pictures of the menus from dinner and breakfast from when I was there.

Greenville, SC
“Like going to your grandma's house for Sunday dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

We went to Dillard House for the first time last Thursday for lunch. It is served family -style meaning bowls and bowls of food are brought to your table. You get try some of everything. If you like a particular dish they will bring out second helpings if you ask. Everything we tried was very good. It is all made from scratch. They do not cut corners on anything. You can tell they use fresh seasonal ingredients for everything. Even the cobbler they had for dessert had real homemade whipped cream on top. It was not cheap, but definitley worth the money. Just bring a big appetite and ask for a doggie bag when you leave! Also, get there early when you can, it gets really crowded during regular dining hours and they only take reservations for large parties.

Athens, Georgia
“Hungry? Here's the place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

The Dillard House sets a standard that has been hard to beat for many years. Food -- all you care to eat -- is served in abundance and is regional in character. Look for a great presentation of seasonal and locally grown delights. Also offers many items in package for carrying home. Local honeys, jellies and jams. Always crowded, but the wait isn't usually more than 10 minutes or so.

NC
“If you left hungry, it was your own fault!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

Great food and quick service. Home style cooking and serving. Lots of varieties to choose from or sample them all! Everything was delicious! The only thing I regretted was the meat sizes were way to large and I felt we wasted a lot of the meat . If slices were smaller would be best, you could always get another slice!