“Best Pizza in the World” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #61 of 295 Restaurants in Decatur
Cuisines: Pizza, Pub
Birmingham, Alabama
“Best Pizza in the World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We visit our daughter in Decatur Georgia often and the Avondale Pizza cafe is one of the best pizza's we have ever had. In fact every trip to her house always includes at least one visit to to cafe. In my opinion the Bar B Q Chicken pizza with the thick crest is the best. It is small & crowded but well worth the wait if any.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Covington, Louisiana
“Absolutely delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband had tried out this place for lunch one day and insisted that I try it. We are currently on the search for the best pizza in our area. We ordered a large with extra cheese and pepperoni and picked it up. I was in love from the first bite. The slices are huge. The crust is New York style, not greasy, and loaded with cheese, pepperoni, and just enough sauce. We plan on a repeat soon.

• Visited February 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Dry, unflavorful pizza”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This pizza was a waste of calories and money. A friend's recommendation coupled with the great online reviews sent me here. But I was thouroughly disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Avondale Estates, Georgia, United States
“Our favorite neighborhood place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is our favorite place to eat- that is for my daughter and me. We get the same things- she gets a bowl of black olives, cheese sticks and cheese ravioli. We like their homemade pretzels, and I like pizza slices and the turkey sub- we love the waiters that have been there from 8 years ago- they are so wonderful to my child!

Visited December 2012
Stone Mountain, Georgia
“Best pizza, calzones and marinara sauce in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Our family eats here once a week and often twice. Our big favorite is the veggie combo slice, which is a meal in itself for $3.95. The pizza crusts are what really make it great - they have a "just right" crispness, texture and flavor together with a wonderful sauce and again just the right amount of cheese to serve as the base for whatever toppings they add on, and in the case of hte veggie slice or the Avalanche that is an impressive pile of fresh and flavorful goodies. The Cafe's slices are huge, so we almost never bother getting a full pizza as there are only three of us.

Their calzones are REALLY huge and very well done, and they come with a generous bowl of the tastiest marinara sauce I have found anywhere this side of New Jersey. Yes, these things are a matter of taste, but I have been to some very pricey Italian restaurants whose sauces just can't touch this. Oh, yeah and if you sop up too much of it (easy to do) just ask and they will bring you another bowl at no extra charge, no funny looks, no questions asked. The spinach and mushroom calzone happens to be my favorite, but whatever is yours... you could easily share one and make it a meal for two.

The other reviewers about poor service I can only say were unfortunate and in my many, many experiences there are anomalies. I have had to wait occasionally when they had a very big party or been short-staffed, or simply go call someone's attention if we strolled in when someone wasn't looking but only on a handful of occasions out of many. As to the clientele, it is a very mixed crowd, and to characterize it as a mix of policemen and hippies is maybe 10% of who is there at any given time and rarely more than that. Again, it sounds to me like that reviewer wandered in at an unusual time. The location is admittedly not anyplace trendy like nearby downtown Decatur has become, but you can occasionally find a gem of good food at bargain prices and friendly service even if it's in a little scruffy strip mall.

• Visited May 2012