“Unattentive, disinterested service” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Unattentive, disinterested service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

The local paper had advertised that Twains, known best for its billiards, had been taking steps to make the restaurant appeal to the many families of Decatur. As such, we decided to give it a try.

Pluses: Indoor and outdoor seating, plenty of pool tables and a darts area, very interesting decor, some good beers. The loaded baked potato was generous in its fillings. A fish sandwich was tasty and crisp, and the onion rings were outstanding. The food arrived in a timely manner. The menu is varied and reasonably priced.

Minuses: We went on a Saturday evening, but around 5:30pm. There were about 3-4 other tables occupied in our area, a few bar patrons, and maybe another 3-4 tables occupied outside. In other words, it was not busy. Unfortunately the service made our experience close to lousy. It took awhile for anyone to come over to greet us. When we needed a minute longer to look over the menus, our server disappeared for at least five minutes or more. We didn't even see him to flag him down.

If the restaurant is trying to be more family-friendly, the servers should realize that very young children can be impatient, and that many families do not have time to linger else risk everyone in the restaurant to a meltdown.

Anyway our server was also not very helpful when we asked for suggestions. He set items such as silverware in reach of our child after we asked him not to do so. He did not check on us to see how things were or if we needed anything else. We flagged him down for the check and frankly all I wanted to do at that point was get out of there.

Is it child-friendly? It's got a kids menu and high chairs, and a fish tank that is interesting to kids. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Overall, if we had a present and more interested server, I could rate our experience higher because the food was pretty good and reasonably priced. However, at this time I can't, and while I won't say that I'd never go back, I'm certainly not in a hurry to do so.